Oct 12, 2007, 07:26 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Nanoshark

Nano DAVE's site here: http://nanoplanes.net/nanoplanet.html

Talked to ND a couple times this week. Just couldn't wait any longer for his kits to be available. So FFF nanoshark.

Flat wing sanded all surfaces into airfoils. From here I'll sand the fuse and cover the wings with clear sticky sheet with graphics. His wife's dragons and fire are really cool and will cover about half the wings. This thing glides really well, and is pretty durable so far.

For the build I used his sites templates, but cut 3 of the fuse formers. One is centered one for the top and will add the other to the bottom. Didn't use any of the wood he suggested as FFF is stiff enough. Only other mod will be a tiny rudder trim tab with half a paperclip for rudder trim.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2007, 08:50 AM
Thread OP

Mini angel glider.

This really reminds me of the Angel glider. I almost think it'll fly with a dd ips mounted behind the wing. I might make a removable pod and give it a try before going to a big brushless. As it is now it's under 2 oz. Thinking ips dd, 3x3, 2 cell 350, little 10 amps esc, and no graphics or paint to keep it light. Anybody got any other ideas before I start?
Oct 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
Very nice!

that looks pretty cool in that color. hey it's a blueshark!

FYI, although the fff or even depron is stiff enough to build the fuselage without the wood reinforcements I highly recommend building it with it. if you wanted to save weight then you can use carbon fiber flat spars instead. this way your fuselage will be much stronger while it's main purpose is that it prevents the occasional "snapping in half on a semi hard landing."

also about your rudder trim. if you are planning to use a rudder or make a trim tab you must ensure that it is on the lower half of the rudder. the reason is that this plane was designed to fly as a aileron/elevator only aircraft and the rudder was shaped to look like a shark fin more than serve as an aerodynamicaly effective rudder. basically meaning that the rudder is very top heavy (aerodynamically that is) and if you deflect any portion of the top half then you will get an unwanted response, too much yaw that it will cause your plane to roll.... I hope this all makes sense.

definately want to hear how you do after installing all the RC gear and it's maiden. keep up the good work!

Dave
Oct 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
I really think it's stiff enough withouit it. I've built a couple fuses like this and not really had that (fuse snapping) problem lately. Time will tell. The little rudder tab will be about 1/2x1/2 in line with the fuse at the TE of the rudder. So it only turns and doesn't roll. I'll post more pics when I get some gear in it.
Oct 15, 2007, 02:25 PM
Thread OP

Hats off to DAVE

AUW 6.25 oz

Cuts thru the wind like butter. Couldn't really tell it was blowing(10-15 gusts). No flopping about in flat passes and no pushing turning in/out of the wind. Glides nicely power off for landing. Elevator plenty big enough to flare for belly only landing. This is just an awesome little plane.

Guessing 60mph in flat low pass and climbs like nothing I've ever seen.

Thanks again Dave. If anybody's interested I could give some input for FFF building.
Oct 15, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sweet lines... bird-like.

Good looking build, dritch

Jasta
Oct 16, 2007, 08:40 AM
Thread OP

Thanks Jasta

Knew I wanted the top bright (yellow) for that hey roll me over dummy effect. A little sweat bee kept attacking it while painting so I gave it some eyes and belly bands. Still learning with the airbrush though. Time to move to a smaller tip for more precise control of lines.

It was still a little hard to tell orientation. Might add some reflective tape to the top of the wing.
Oct 17, 2007, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
Anybody got any ideas what to do with this "cockpit"? In the "painted" picture you can see the top is missing a piece. That's the only place my batt will go for cg. It won't fit in the bottom portion either. I thought about cutting thru the center divider(runs the length of the fuse horizontaly centered), but that will take away from the strength of the fuse.

So my current batt will only sit on it's side vertically(long way in line with fuse) and sticks up about 1/2 inch. Which after a piece of FFF is wrapped over sticks up too far(looks stupid, and may affect flight.

1. crack the joint at the fuse and wing and spread the fuse open a little PITA.
2. cut down thru the inner support and weaken the fuse in the process. Don't like!!!
3. make a little "canopy" from plastic

Any good ideas appreciated
Oct 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
Hi dritch. It's a very nice plane. What about sharing plans?
Oct 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
Maicol. It's not my design. First post www.nanoplanes.net

Look for the cutting plans for the nanoshark. I used them, only changed a couple things for FFF.

1. cut out 2 fuse sides
2. cut out 3 fuse formers
3. use the center former in the fuse full length as in the build log on the site.
4. only use portions of the top and bottom fuse formers to fill in.
5. sand all the LE's round and taper all the surfaces to 1/16 of an inch.
6. used a little carbon rod on the wing.
7. skipped all the wood in the fuse
8. the rest is tlar. aileron servo around the spar. elevator servo ended up on the tail for balance, batt ended behind the cg for balance(really heavy motor was used)

Does that help? Maybe after you look at the plans and build log on his site it'll make a little sense.
Oct 17, 2007, 09:21 AM
Bazinga!
oops it sees I was slow on the post but I'll leave it up anyway if that's OK, silly me

If I may intrude, NanoDave very kindly makes his wonderful planes plans available for all to use, and with wonderful instructions, I built a scaled down nano shark too small for the gear I own so I bought one from Nanoplanes, have yet to build it, it's waiting for me to get back from Korea in a year or so... sadly...

Anyway back to the matter at hand here's the link to the plans and instructions (at the bottom of the page) http://nanoplanes.net/shark.html

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Bob
Last edited by bobskinner; Oct 17, 2007 at 09:45 AM.
Oct 17, 2007, 10:07 AM
DRITCH: Thank U.

Bobskinner: Thank U. Founded.
Jan 01, 2008, 09:30 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskinner
oops it sees I was slow on the post but I'll leave it up anyway if that's OK, silly me

If I may intrude, NanoDave very kindly makes his wonderful planes plans available for all to use, and with wonderful instructions, I built a scaled down nano shark too small for the gear I own so I bought one from Nanoplanes, have yet to build it, it's waiting for me to get back from Korea in a year or so... sadly...

Anyway back to the matter at hand here's the link to the plans and instructions (at the bottom of the page) http://nanoplanes.net/shark.html

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Bob
Yeah, NanoDave's a great guy. He fly's at our field sometimes and when he fly's his Baby Shark, eyes are glued to his bird. I first saw him fly his creation months ago and I fell in love with it. I'm buying the Nano Shark and the Baby Shark and he has been kind enough to build my Baby Shark for me. I saw it the other day and I was like a kid starring at the packages under the Christmas tree and I'm 48 years old! Man I was excited! When I get my plane and kit that will definitely be my always in the truck air plane for me. I can't wait to get back to work. I work on Without A Trace and half the guys on our crew fly planes. They are going to love this plane and I'm sure I can sell some planes for David.

When I first found the Nano Planes website, I thought I'd go and try and make one from the plans he has on there, but when I met David, I decided I would rather show my appreciation by purchasing a couple of his kits instead. He's a real gentleman. I hope you enjoy your Nano Shark. Take care and have a wonderful New Year.

Jim
Dec 17, 2009, 09:28 AM
Swamp Rat

My version of the shark

38 inch W.S. and a Grayson park jet. Flys very stable and does good in high winds.
Dec 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
beemerdon

Shark

d masters,

Is that a scaled-up nano shark? It's gorgeous! Can you tell us more about it; I think that's the one I want to build over the holidays. What motor, etc. Thanks.

Don

Quick Reply