Flying in the cold...BRRRR - RC Groups
Dec 04, 2002, 12:10 PM
I ain't got it!!!

Flying in the cold...BRRRR

Flew my SR Cutie for the first time this morning. The plane flew great! I might just have a new "favorite"...But oh was it cold this morning!! 26 when I left the house, so maybe 27 by the time I drove the 4 miles to the soccer fields. I'm glad I only flew the 600 AE pack, it might have lasted 5 minutes, I wouldn't have lasted much more than that. It was about 8:00 when I got out there.

The Cutie flies so sweet. I also flew it this afternoon with a heavier pack - it's got some "speed" capabilities as well! I enjoy the low and slow stuff, but a few "zooms" now and then keep things interesting!

Anyone else fly this morning??

Adam
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2002, 01:34 PM
Clinger, MAGA
Yep, got two flights on the SB before going to work. It was cloudy and a warm 23F. Positively warm out there and no wind. Has been much colder than that lately....
Dec 04, 2002, 02:19 PM
I guess I don't know how good I have it. It's 67 here, all sun, no wind.

Will fly the Slow Stick when I'm off work, about 4pm Pacific.
Dec 04, 2002, 02:49 PM
who put that TREE there?!
I took a home built blue-cor out this morning at 9am also.

It was COLD in NY today. Dunno the temperature, but when it crashed (of course) the grass crunched

-rt
Dec 04, 2002, 03:09 PM
Tork it or Dork it
I flew my Radical Edge at 6:50AM in the backyard right when the sun came up while my car was warming up (cause I had to go to school). It was about 12degress outside but no wind. Starting around midnight today into tomorrow its supposed to snow until 2PM tomorrow. Then the skies will FINALLY get test out on the Ferias!
Dec 04, 2002, 03:11 PM
HEY RT,

I live in yonkers NY. I can't believe you actually went out in that extremely cold weather to fly today (at 9am).

Anyway, it's good to see someone who lives close to me on the boards.

keep flying (but dress really warm).
Dec 05, 2002, 10:57 AM

Gloves???

Any of you using some special glove invention? I've thought about cutting the thumbs out so I can keep my hands warm and still have a feel for the sticks. Any ideas before I make an incision would be appreciated.
Dec 05, 2002, 11:04 AM
Practice makes pieces..
Yup - I've gone the thumbless glove route - works out pretty good, but still need to sit in the car every few flights to thaw out.

- matt
Dec 05, 2002, 11:38 AM
Flew 2 SB flights here in Minnesota this am with 0 degrees F on the thermometer. Could not have felt my fingers much longer than 6 minute 600 mAH packs would allow. I had to ROI ("rise off ice") from a frozen pond because the snow was too deep. I gotta get a set of skis....BRRRRRR.
Dec 05, 2002, 11:47 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
Check out these transmitter gloves that cover your hands and radio.

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/fro...7/kran1297.htm

http://www.fatlion.com/bash/
Dec 05, 2002, 12:15 PM
"unblowupable" ?
I recently purchased a pair of winter golf gloves. They're thin enough to allow you to feel the sticks but they still keep your hands pretty warm.
Dec 05, 2002, 12:16 PM
Tim
I use a pair of old military wool gloves,light enough so they don't interfere with flying.I still sit in the truck between flights
to warm up
steve
Last edited by cloudhopper; Dec 05, 2002 at 12:22 PM.
Dec 05, 2002, 12:18 PM
The last time I flew glow and decided to go completely electric was two New Years Days ago. It was -5 to -10 below zero, windy and miserable, and I learned glow fuel on your hands is cold. Trying to adjust the needle valve with icy fingers wasn't fun. Did you know that glow slime is harder to clean off when it's cold?

Anyway, I'm sure it's not a coincidence that was my last glow flight. Now I fly electric and conveniently heat up an 8 cell hand warmer every time I fly.
Dec 05, 2002, 12:58 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Have not been able to fly in weeks. It's been cold but the real problem is it's been too windy. My Switchback is all ready to go and I don't dare put her up. Only two short, eventful flights on her. She kept wanting to go UP, and it was all I could do to hold her level and get her back. Post flight showed some down airleron reflex and some dreaded washout in both wings. So hope I have everything sorted but at this rate I won't know 'till April!!!
Did get the TM up about 2 weeks ago for some 0 groundspeed flights above the treeline.
Hey PC_Pilot, I'm in Pelham.
Dec 05, 2002, 01:01 PM
Tork it or Dork it
When its cold enough outside I fly with gloves on sometimes. Its good except when handlaunching. I have to take the one glove off and then put it back on when it gets up and flying.

Quick Reply