Oct 06, 2007, 10:51 AM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Cool

Printed Jet(s) New F-22 video

Here is an F-22 that has been a long time on my build list and is now finally coming to fruition.

Many, many thanks to Firetrappe for his help with the design and the great effort on the graphics work. I couldn't have done this without him!

Honorable mention also goes to Lloo for posting his printed F-22, and the printed warbirds thread which started me in this direction.

What I like most about the print, paste and cut method so far is that it very easy to do, yet gives great looking results. No decorating or decals needed. Didn't add too much weight either!

With this type of plane/build there are many ways to set it up. For my build here is how I chose to do it and some specs on the build.

Span = 24"
AUW minus battery = 270 grams, 9.5 oz
3dvt pusher prop, inspired by Kai's F-22
Ailerons as elevons, fixed tail (experimental set up)
6mm depron except 9mm epp lower fuse and skids
3ch, 2 servos which operate the elevons and VT simultaneously

I'm hoping to maiden early next week as weather allows.

The F-22 is just the first of the printed Jets, others will follow.

Update flight video:
Thrust vectoring F-22 (3 min 12 sec)
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 31, 2007 at 06:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2007, 11:37 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
So thats what you and Si have been up to, Dan!.....Depron/Epp lots of people seem to be using this type of hybrid construction.

How did you attach the printed decorations it looks good.

No elevator/elevons interesting. Good luck with the maiden
Last edited by dekan; Oct 06, 2007 at 11:42 AM.
Oct 06, 2007, 12:47 PM
Mach 2 with hair on fire!
Dude, that is cool!
Me and a buddy of mine have been working on a 20in WS F-22 with mid engine and ele as elevons. I used 6mm dep all around, but I like your hybrid idea. The AUW is 4.5 oz with battery. We used a Hacker A10 and 2S 450mA and 5x5 prop. The T/W is about 1.7:1. I will post pics later.

TeraHurtz
Oct 06, 2007, 12:48 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
So thats what you and Si have been up to, Dan!.....Depron/Epp lots of people seem to be using this type of hybrid construction.

How did you attach the printed decorations it looks good.

No elevator/elevons interesting. Good luck with the maiden

I was thinking all epp, but for prototyping it is easier for me to use Depron. For the skids and the lower fuse the epp seems to be a logical choice...tougher.

I tried printing on a few different papers. Laser printing on laser paper gave the best quality image results by far. It is slightly heavier but worth the weight for me. To save money I went grey scale for the body. Black and white printing is a lot cheaper. I think 11 x 17 b&w laser was $.19 a page.

I first glued the tiled sections of the image together with glue stick . I then cut the entire image out leaving about a 1/2" margin all the way around. I sprayed the back of the image with 3m Spray 77 and applied it to the Depron, then cut out the wing.

For the controls.I wanted something that would work well at high speed and low speed. I think the elevon and 3dvt will be very complimentary. At high A, the vt provides yaw control as the elevons become less effective. The ailerons should provide great roll control at higher speeds.. Both the elevons and the VT contribute to pitch control with the power on.

The one thing that concerned me about the set up I chose is pitch control wthout power. I made a smaller chuck glider to test for the cg. I was also able to use the chuck glider to see if the ailerons set up as elevons would provide pitch control...fortunately they do.
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 06, 2007 at 01:18 PM.
Oct 06, 2007, 12:56 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Great Looking Plane ,Lead... most realistic...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 06, 2007, 05:08 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Great Looking Plane ,Lead... most realistic...
Thanks Guys!

I ran the power up for the first time indoors to check it out. A problem popped up. I tried to make a very simple hinge system using surgical tubing. It works fine except it is too weak in torsion. I was expecting a little wind up in the rubber so I had set it up with a little offset to compensate. Well, it winds up a lot. I didn't even dare go to full power. Time for plan B on the VT hinge.

Everything else is working well.
Oct 06, 2007, 06:01 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
I better subscribe to this one.....

Dan, you told me that surgical tube method would work! Anyone need a bungee?? just kiddin'.

Si.
Oct 06, 2007, 07:09 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
Amazing how 3d the printing makes it look,nicely done!
Oct 06, 2007, 07:17 PM
teched88
I'm gonna have to subscribe to this one too. Looks great.
love those printed graphics. just got an email from a freind who says my printed warbirds are done. Got them printed full color on Vinyl. Hope it's not too heavy.
Oct 06, 2007, 09:52 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrappe
I better subscribe to this one.....

Dan, you told me that surgical tube method would work! Anyone need a bungee?? just kiddin'.

Si.
Yeah, what do I know anyways.

I'm still trying to come up with a simple hinge any one can make with commonly available parts or material. I'm open to suggestions!

One idea I've been thinking of is to use a stronger plastic/rubber tube with slits cut in it to form the hinges, but better torque resistance.
Oct 06, 2007, 10:17 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SMOKINBARRELS
Amazing how 3d the printing makes it look,nicely done!
What is different about this particular image from other drawings or images is that it has shading and shadows that give 3d depth to the curved surfaces. Lucky find!
Oct 07, 2007, 08:20 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
WOW, Awesome!!!

On my build list for sure!!

“”I'm still trying to come up with a simple hinge any one can make with commonly available parts or material. I'm open to suggestions!”” leadfeather

Diagram suggestion…
Assume;
shims on rod between square bar stock and inside channel wall.

Picture…
One bolt quick change between UH-24g and BP-21
My channel is quarter X sixteenth inch
72 inch hardware store buy weighs 8.5oz (0.118 oz per inch)
Channel was end drilled (drill press) to fit round motor mount pin.

Gramps
Oct 07, 2007, 02:54 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Gramps,

Let me see if I understand your diagram and photo.

The photo shows a motor clamped into the channel. The bolt at the open end of the channel squeezes the channel around the motor housing, clamping the motor tightly in place.

The diagram shows how you would create a universal joint from this channel. The universal joint would presumably be fitted just behind the motor.

Do I have it right?
Oct 07, 2007, 05:44 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP

new hinge

I decided to try a hinge I had worked on some time ago in the 3dvt thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=3dvt It is pretty simple to make, and I had the stuff at home. Just a ball joint with the plastic stem glued into the keel tube.

I static tested it, and it seems to work fine.

For the first flight I've set it up with pretty small VT throws.
Oct 07, 2007, 06:02 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP

Raptor's belly

Here is a shot of the underside of this build.

I brought all the guts way up front so that the batteries would be fairly near the cg. This way I can swap out a wide range of battery sizes pretty easily.

Also note only two servos. Each servo drives the elevon and
VT on its side.

Quick Reply