Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 04, 2007, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Valenta ESO for F3F - experience ?!

Hi - looking for a F3F model, and found the Valenta ESO... Look at http://www.valentamodel.cz/eso.htm. Anyone have comments on kit quality and flying characteristics & performance ?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2007, 04:45 PM
I know of only one pilot flying the ESO here in SOCAL at f3f and it has done well this year.
As for the quality and finish it looks good.
Woody
Oct 04, 2007, 07:40 PM
Detail Freak
Send Concreteman a PM.
He races his.
It likes more lead than most planes.
His ballast tube is 3/4" x 18" long, and uses (9) 2" slugs, 6oz each. He rarely uses less than 3 slugs in light lift.
AUW is 90oz without any ballast, ready to fly.

T
Oct 04, 2007, 07:48 PM
I've got one I haven't finished and flown yet. Very nice looking and good fit and finish.
I've flown Bob's at SUSA and it's very fast and stable, and like Target says--it likes to carry weight!!!
Tim
Oct 05, 2007, 03:06 AM
F3B
Sorry - thread jack, but along the same lines.

Has anybody campaigned a Vladamir's Models 3.1m Graphite 2 in F3f or F3b. I can get them for a very reasonable price from a local supplier. I know Vlad mostly does F3j ships, but it seems very similar to the X-21 etc......
Oct 05, 2007, 06:35 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
If you only plan on scratching around the whitesheet or mynd races it will be fine. However sub 40 air on the crest of the Bwlch will proove it to be too big in the span and too slow in the roll to avoid danger if you're trying to win.
Oct 05, 2007, 06:47 AM
F3B
Really at 3.1m? i thought the guys were often using 3.2m ships. Oh well, you know better than me andy. So my 3m tragi 704 is on the large side you reckon?

Nonetheless it would be a nice sport plane.
Oct 05, 2007, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Slopetrashuk: are you talking about the ESO or Graphite 2 ?
Oct 05, 2007, 08:51 AM
Speed is Good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet
Really at 3.1m? i thought the guys were often using 3.2m ships. Oh well, you know better than me andy. So my 3m tragi 704 is on the large side you reckon?

Nonetheless it would be a nice sport plane.
Confused Andy?? My Ascot is 3.2m. Apparently VV's was seen smoking at the Bwlch in +45mph recently!
Oct 05, 2007, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey
Confused Andy?? My Ascot is 3.2m. Apparently VV's was seen smoking at the Bwlch in +45mph recently!
He didnt say anythin about fast Dave ....more about how easy it is to put the plane in the right place .....I flew the Furio last Saturday in the light conditions but took the Sting out on Sunday in 20+ on the crest
Oct 05, 2007, 09:24 AM
I like em strong & silent
Quote:
If you only plan on scratching around the whitesheet or mynd races it will be fine. However sub 40 air on the crest of the Bwlch will proove it to be too big in the span and too slow in the roll to avoid danger if you're trying to win.

I would agree with this but my PB was done with a 3.2m and felt great lots of ballast on board.
I flew 3.2m then 2.7m at the nationals not a huge to choose between the 2.

Steve
Oct 05, 2007, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtech
I would agree with this but my PB was done with a 3.2m and felt great lots of ballast on board.
I flew 3.2m then 2.7m at the nationals not a huge to choose between the 2.

Steve
ummmm.....me thinks positions would have changed had you not .......

Although I dont think the span really made any difference
Oct 05, 2007, 11:53 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Ascot, X-21 and Graphite (and others) are not predominantly designed as F3F machines. Their span is bigger and wing area higher to optimise them for the tasks that F3B and F3J require.
As F3F is an 'open' class almost any model is suitable and in lighter conditions they can do very well especially in the hands of an exceptional pilot like Vaclav.
As i've said many times here before, there's not really a bugs nadger between any of them given their air.
However - F3F is a slog not a sprint, especially when you get days like the Nationals the other sunday and rarely (unless your name is Greg and you are in league with the devil) will you get good air every round.
If you want to win you need to fly consistently AND in the right bit of lift. AND anticipate turns, not make any mistakes AND have the model to boot.
The Graphite has excelled at F3J over the years but there is a reason it doesn't look like a Caldera.

Andy
Oct 05, 2007, 12:40 PM
Detail Freak
Some of the bigger span models are more nimble(IMO) than others. These will make better F3F picks than the less nimble ones (IMO, again).

At most of the sites we fly over here, you don't incur much of a penalty for flying a bigger plane at a heavier weight, and ocassionally, it's actually an advantage.

Target
PS. Hello, Andy. Don't be too hard on Greg. He and I may have met the same devil!
Oct 05, 2007, 09:01 PM
I thought this thread was asking about ESO info! So here is some. They are easy to build. They are easy to fly. A ballast tube is mandatory! Make it big! Target rolled mine up, and its perfect! 9 slugs 2" long, max weight 54ozs. I am pretty much at a 3 slug minimum now. Flys well in light and heavy air. Pretty nimble for its size. Flap control is stellar. They fit the excellent JR 368 servo in all positions. Wing skins are tough. Quality of builder is good, but not stellar, but good. Be careful of too much throw on elevator (especially on the up side!). Recommended, yes. Good plane for the money. If I was computer savvy I would shoot you pics of the fuse installation of the gear and tube. Maybe I can enlist Target, if you so inquire.
Concreteman-he delivers!

Quick Reply