Oct 04, 2007, 05:52 AM
Thread OP
Question

iMax 9X generally and 2.4ghz for the iMax 9X specifically: How is it?

I was browsing the net, looking for a bit more about the Imax B8 charger, I then found the homepage of the maker http://www.skyrc.cn

There I saw the iMax 9X controller, that is also advertised as 2.4Ghz.
http://www.skyrc.cn/en/#/product/Transmitter/9X/

I browsed through the manual, and if the price is right(cheap enough ), then it looks like a very interesting Radio.

Has anyone tried the iMax 9X, and what are the verdict(no matter if you use PPM, PCM or 2.4G)?

Has anyone tried the 2.4Ghz module version yet?

Do anyone have a pointer, to a place to buy the iMax 9X(and 2.4G modules)?

My current Radio experience is mostly wheel radios, where I drive an FG Leopard Race with a Nomadio Sensor.
I have a Futaba 6EX 2.4ghz on the way, for the GWS Pico TM( brushless m-a-e.com version) that is also in the mail.
I also have a Walkera 68B on which I am not trusting the Walkera Radio.

Happy flying from Greenland, the land of Santa (http://www.santa.gl)
Jesper Rex
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2007, 06:11 AM
Well there is couple of threads about these products.

Santa Claus lives in Finland anyway...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korvatunturi
Oct 04, 2007, 10:06 AM
Happy Flyer
Don't you feel weird that the "+" and "-" on the left and right respectively?
Normally all of our IR controllers for TV and other electronic devices, the "-" is on the left and "+" is at the right.
Oct 04, 2007, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
I haven't been able to find any theads mentioning the iMax 9X radio, nor any 2.4G system by iMax.

The only thread I have found mentioning an iMax radio is a Wfly thread, but nothing usefull about the imax.....
Last edited by JRexA; Oct 04, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Oct 04, 2007, 10:27 AM
This radio only has 8 channels in PPM. We have been in contact with this manufacturer to make us just the case and gimbals for our own transmitter. We are not able to use the hardware due to the channel limitations and some programming issues, but it does have a good case and controls. It is nearly a 100% copy of the JR9303 case and gimbals.
Oct 04, 2007, 10:45 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRexA
I haven't been able to find any theads mentioning the iMax 9X radio, nor any 2.4G system by iMax.

The only thread I have found mentioning an iMax radio is a Wfly thread, but nothing usefull about the imax.....
You didn't search hard enough: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734985

Ivan
Oct 04, 2007, 02:44 PM
Thread OP
Sorry. I searched for "Imax radio", and then I only got one hit. (Thread named: WFLY WFT09 - China 9 Channel Transmitter 250$)

Searching for "imax" presented around 420 hits, and after checking the first 150 or so, there was nothing mentioning an Imax Radio, only the chargers.
Oct 04, 2007, 03:49 PM
S.A.D. member
Sorry JRexA for stepping on your toes. The thread used to be in the Radio and that is how I came through it. Later it was moved but I remember I posted to the thread and searched for threads I've posted in. That is how I found where it was moved to. You had no way of doing it. I should have added the smiley in my previous post.

Sorry again!

BTW the manual is ridiculous... and funny! Check it out!

Ivan
Oct 04, 2007, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Ivanc: As I wrote in my Initial post, I have read(browsed) the manual.
And I had plenty of fun with that but no worse than the "chenglish" in the Walkera Manuals

You didn't step on my toes (They are easy enough to step on, at size 13˝... )

I also forgot my Smilies

I should also have searched for "skyrc", then I would have found the thread you pointed me to.
And have learned that this radio is so new, that virtually no one has yet had the chance.

I am talking to a Chinese distributor, and if the price is right, I will take the chance. Hopefully they get their manual debugged, but for my needs, it will do.
Last edited by JRexA; Oct 04, 2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: forgot the smilies
Oct 04, 2007, 09:21 PM
Happy Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
This radio only has 8 channels in PPM. We have been in contact with this manufacturer to make us just the case and gimbals for our own transmitter. We are not able to use the hardware due to the channel limitations and some programming issues, but it does have a good case and controls. It is nearly a 100% copy of the JR9303 case and gimbals.
Don't u feel that the case has too many unnecessary steps and corners? You are right, they copy JR9303. As compared to new Fut12FG..., JR9303 is not any better, and the iMax make it even worst. I hope XPS have them to design a more modern case.
Oh, we only need 4 buttons to program, namely "Enter", "Back", ">" and "<". Press ">" or "<" to move the cursor, then "Enter" to click what u want, Press ">" or "<" to change the value setting. Press "Back" to move back to the previous menu and so on. This is how the cellphone/PDA designed for the world.
Many AE radios have 8 buttons, almost 4 of them are redundant.
Oct 04, 2007, 11:55 PM
Having the extra controls is the only thing that I like about this transmitter. It offers a LOT more flexibility and short cuts compared to being forced to step through various menus options instead of having the ability to skip over them. Advanced users need this flexibility.
Oct 05, 2007, 01:21 AM
If you do go that route, please have them change the color, that gray is awful. I know, I know the color is a minor thing but otherwise thats not a bad looking Tx. And I like being able to skip through menus, thats one thing I like about my 9Z, I can go directly to the menu I want to be in.
Oct 05, 2007, 08:02 AM
Happy Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Having the extra controls is the only thing that I like about this transmitter. It offers a LOT more flexibility and short cuts compared to being forced to step through various menus options instead of having the ability to skip over them. Advanced users need this flexibility.
I agree with you if the arrangement is similar to MPX EVO but not in the case of DX7 and JR8103.
Each button in EVO bring you directly to Control, System, Servo, Mix......etc, they are functional.
If you play with EVO and DX7/JR8103, you realise the latter are not well arranged/utilized with their buttons.
I touchup the iMax9x with less steps and corners for reference->
Last edited by Leo1; Oct 05, 2007 at 08:18 AM.
Dec 19, 2007, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Well... I took the plunge and bought one.

First impressions:
Radio itself looks well made, a lot better than the Walkere RTF Radios I have, but not much different from my Futaba 6EX 2,4Ghz.

Packing is decent, but nothing spectacular. It won't fit in the packing, with the 2.4G module mounted.

2.4G Receiver: that is a HUGE receiver(compared to the Futaba R606FS) with a funny antenna arrangement. It looks to have connectors for 9 servos.

I was planning to put it in my Walkera Heli, but I don't know, size and weight makes it less atractive for that, but I am likely to take a shot at it, anyway.

The Sticker on the receiver is missing, I have to guess at which connector is Which....
Dec 19, 2007, 03:06 PM
The reviewer
I have one of these due this week and will post my views once I've checked it out.

I've already been looking at the 72MHz version of the iMax 9X transmitter/PCM receiver and will also post something on that.

Quick Reply