This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 21, 2020, 11:37 PM
Still Screamin'!
Make boards to retro my JR
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2020, 04:24 PM
DWKWINGNUT
Good day, It's been awhile since I checked in, is the XPS web site coming back on line, I'm getting concerned, thanks, Dave K.
May 28, 2020, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Kent
Good day, It's been awhile since I checked in, is the XPS web site coming back on line, I'm getting concerned, thanks, Dave K.
I donít think itís ever left ! LOL 😂
May 29, 2020, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, it’ never went anywhere.
Jun 03, 2020, 11:10 AM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Kent
Itís been here. Itís just the posts have dropped off which is surprising given the number of people who have been locked up in their homes. Even the trolls are quiet
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Jun 26, 2020, 06:58 AM
Build more, websurf less
Hey Jim,

I hope you and your family are well.

Will the XPS JR-type transmitter module work if I configure my Taranis to output PPM?

Are there any disadvantages of using PPM versus XJT D16?

Thanks,

Paul
Jun 26, 2020, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Hey Jim,

Will the XPS JR-type transmitter module work if I configure my Taranis to output PPM?

Thanks,

Paul
I believe that the PPM setting is required. But Jim can confirm.....
Jun 26, 2020, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Hey Jim,

Thanks,

Paul

Yes, PPM will work, but you have a maximum of 9 channels with their PPM and you have to slow the frame rate down to 25ms to get all 9. The XJT-D16 is fully supported with our JR module, which gives you a MUCH faster frame rate and 16 channels. There is zero advantage to using PPM!
Jun 26, 2020, 02:37 PM
Build more, websurf less
Interesting. Thanks Jim, Paul
Jun 29, 2020, 06:53 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
All versions of OpenTx work with our JR module in XJT mode. The last one I tested personally (which required a fix for a change in the XJT protocol with 2.2.2). You did remember to put our JR module into XJT mode, right?
Jim,

My Taranis is currently running OpenTx 2.2.1. Do I need to upgrade to at least 2.2.2 to be compatible with the XPS JR module?

Update: I upgraded to OpenTx version 2.3.9. Will that present a problem with the XPS JR module?

Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Jun 30, 2020 at 04:26 PM.
Jun 30, 2020, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Yes, PPM will work, but you have a maximum of 9 channels with their PPM and you have to slow the frame rate down to 25ms to get all 9. The XJT-D16 is fully supported with our JR module, which gives you a MUCH faster frame rate and 16 channels. There is zero advantage to using PPM!
Hi Jim

It got my attention. I am in the process of reorganizing my RC equipment toward OpenTx based stuff too. I have been using Multiplex gear for 30 years and still using it. From the beginning MPX transmitters offered more channels to operate then other brands, but still using PPM coding. You could pick 7, 9 or even 12 channels to operate Profi 4000 ( pizza box) or EVO 12 using internal software with fantastic double crystal frequency 12 channel Rx. Right now I got my 4000 with XPS module at front of me and noticed I have never used 12 channels on 4000. By the time I needed it there was an Evo available with 12 channels . How the issue of handling 12 channels on 4000 with XPS module is compromised ? Can I use 12 channels on 4000 or it is no, no ?
Evo has a different OS right now and M link ( XPS in my case) handles 16 channels and it rocks.

Mike
Jul 01, 2020, 04:29 AM
Jim,

The JR module in a Taranis, 2.3 Opentx supports XJT-16.
It's easy to set the Taranis output.

But:
"Originally Posted by JimDrew
All versions of OpenTx work with our JR module in XJT mode. The last one I tested personally (which required a fix for a change in the XJT protocol with 2.2.2). You did remember to put our JR module into XJT mode, right?"

Can't see how to put the JR module into XJT-16 mode.
Admittedly I have a very early manual for the module.
Will any of the XPS Rx's accept an XJT input?

Just asking.
Last edited by GEORGE III; Jul 02, 2020 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Make question more apparent
Jul 01, 2020, 01:17 PM
Hi George

I just did it two nights ago. I had to do entire updating process on all my XPS stuff first to catch up with all that. If you haven 't it done for a while it is going to be stressful.

Are you familiar with Jim's software and XDP programmer?
Do you know how to check current firmware setting on XPS products and eventually how to flash these devices with new firmware?
The other option is to use PROG button and blinking lights as long you got the version 4.3 in your JR module.

Either way I will be able to walk you through that.

Mike
Last edited by Smyk; Jul 01, 2020 at 06:08 PM.
Jul 02, 2020, 03:12 AM
Thanks Smyk, but I am not sure that we are on the same page.
I just want a reference so I can output XJT-16, or does the fact that the Taranis is set to XJT-16 achieve that result via the module.
Jul 02, 2020, 05:49 AM
Build more, websurf less
The Taranis transmitter can be set to output XJT-D16 to its external module bay.

This signal goes into the XPS JR-type module.

Then the XPS JR-type module outputs the "XPS" signal to any of the XPS receivers like the Nano Rx, RFU or even older receivers.

Quick Reply