This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 23, 2019, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
The transmitter controls the number of channels being output, not the the module. The module will handle up to 16 channels in PPM mode (if you made the proper PPM frame). It also supports XJT-D16 mode for 16 channels that way.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2019, 03:08 PM
Build more, websurf less
Ok, I understand. Thanks Jim, Paul
Feb 17, 2020, 10:20 AM
Still Screamin'!
Hi Jim,
I've kinda looked through here but didn't see what I was looking for? Since you started this thread are there any new radios that XPS will work with? My 9303 died (flash memory issue) and I'm told it can not be repaired so now I need a new radio. I do NOT want to change systems as I have had far too good service and reliability with your system But I also don't want to spend $1000 for a new radio Maybe you have something you recommend or something to offer? I was told the Taranis will work with your system? But I don't know enough about that radio other than the drone guys loved it for some time. Ugh!! The position I NEVER thought I would be in is here!
Feb 17, 2020, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Glad you found a replacement radio!
Feb 17, 2020, 06:47 PM
FWIW......I have used the "Taranis" (for several yr's) & now the "Horus X10s", both with the "XPS Module", & could not be happier! .......again, FWIW......
Feb 17, 2020, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Glad you found a replacement radio!
Did I miss something ??? What “replacement “ radio did he find ????

I’m still waiting for the XPS transmitter to be released ........ any updates on the XPS Tx ????
Feb 17, 2020, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez
Did I miss something ??? What “replacement “ radio did he find ????

I’m still waiting for the XPS transmitter to be released ........ any updates on the XPS Tx ????
rvincent implied near the end of his post that he was leaning toward a FrSky radio.

For myself, I migrated from my trusty old EVO12 w/XPS module and bought a FrSky X10S.
I put the XPS/JR module in it and just kept flying with all my XPS Nanos.

Having discovered OpenTX on my X10S, and the mind boggling custom control that that combination gives me, I don't think I'd change from my X10S to the XPS transmitter even if it ever did come out.
A FrSky Taranis would be a great radio for rvincent because it's less expensive than the X10/S or X12S, and it has all the features of OpenTX to go with it.
I still have my original Taranis but it's now just a backup to the X10S.
Feb 17, 2020, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline
rvincent implied near the end of his post that he was leaning toward a FrSky radio.

For myself, I migrated from my trusty old EVO12 w/XPS module and bought a FrSky X10S.
I put the XPS/JR module in it and just kept flying with all my XPS Nanos.

Having discovered OpenTX on my X10S, and the mind boggling custom control that that combination gives me, I don't think I'd change from my X10S to the XPS transmitter even if it ever did come out.
A FrSky Taranis would be a great radio for rvincent because it's less expensive than the X10/S or X12S, and it has all the features of OpenTX to go with it.
I still have my original Taranis but it's now just a backup to the X10S.
Re-read his post .... he is not “leaning” towards a Taranis ..... he mentions it in the context of his drone flying buddies as having heard about it .....

I don’t think you’ll have to worry about the XPS transmitter ever coming out !!!
Feb 17, 2020, 07:35 PM
Quote:
I don’t think you’ll have to worry about the XPS transmitter ever coming out !!!
Oh... I quit worrying about that years ago.
I teetered on the edge about what to do when my EVO12 was getting long in the tooth, but when the time came, I went with the X10S, a radio that I would argue is pretty much what the 3216 could have been. It flies all my XPS receivers just fine (AND, I can use FrSky receivers if I ever so choose).

The 3216 will NEVER come out because Jim can never compete with companies from China on price.
From what I understand, the XPS3216's best feature was supposed to be it's operating system, but how do beat OpenTX?
Feb 17, 2020, 09:42 PM
Buy a used 9303. I use a Futaba 9 C and have been through about 3 thus far. I got the last one on RCGroups. It was brand new! No learning a new system. Ron
Feb 17, 2020, 09:49 PM
Still Screamin'!
That's what I did ron locke. Found a good deal on a used XP9303H which is exactly what I had. I LOVED my JR and was beyond upset when the flash memory failed But all will be good now, back to what I am accustomed to and know well.
Feb 20, 2020, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline
The 3216 will NEVER come out because Jim can never compete with companies from China on price.
That’s not true. A complete radio like the original XPS3216 (or Taranis) costs less than $50 to make, including shipping from China. I have no interest in making a complete radio and having to deal with the dozens of parts that make up the radio. I am only interested in a making a replacement motherboard for various existing transmitters. That was always my goal.
Feb 20, 2020, 03:13 PM
Quote:
That’s not true. A complete radio like the original XPS3216 (or Taranis) costs less than $50 to make, including shipping from China. I have no interest in making a complete radio and having to deal with the dozens of parts that make up the radio. I am only interested in a making a replacement motherboard for various existing transmitters. That was always my goal.
So, finally an admission that there will never be an XPS transmitter !!!!

Fair enough...... I wish you had made your “intentions” know 6~7 years ago rather than stringing everyone along !!! 😱
Feb 20, 2020, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Well, two things, Jim.

First, thank you for finally stating publicly that there will never be an XPS3216. It got tiring watching all the posts of people who actually thought it was going to be. We shouldn't have to see any of those anymore.

Secondly, you have my interest greatly piqued about that motherboard comment.
That actually sounds like an "almost" XPS3216 in the sense that you would utilize existing (and hopefully already fully switched and slidered and with all those good controls ready to go).
I completely understand the concept, but do you have the resources to compete with the ongoing development of an already available and quite powerful operating system like OpenTx?
I have to admit that I have felt for a while now that I already have an XPS3216 in the guise of an X10S operating with OpenTx, flying your XPS JR module and XPS receivers.
So I wonder how dedicated you are to follow through with an even greater operating system than OpenTx. That really would take some considerable and ongoing resources.

If you did make that happen (and don't be concerned; I'm not going to hold my breath ), I could envision popping your motherboard into my X10S and having a great old time.

So is there a place a person could go to and review what your operating system would look like?
Feb 21, 2020, 12:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
So, finally an admission that there will never be an XPS transmitter !!!!

Fair enough...... I wish you had made your “intentions” know 6~7 years ago rather than stringing everyone along !!! ��
No, that is not any such admission. I stated that I don’t have an interest in making a transmitter, not that one will never be made. The XPS3216 certainly won’t be made but that doesn’t rule out another OEM solution if it really made financial sense.

I made it very clear in 2012 that I would prefer to make motherboards, not transmitters. The motherboard would be a drop-in replacement for various existing transmitters. I have been approached several times by manufacturers in China to design their electronics and then sell the box. I really don’t want to sell a box that was not my design from the ground up. The R/C business is such a tiny part of our business now, and with the FAA cracking down on the hobby, it just doesn’t make sense at this point to invest much time into a giant project. If that all changes, then sure I would consider a new box.
Last edited by JimDrew; Feb 21, 2020 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply