Sep 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Like to upgrade what's a good next step from a Blade cx2.

I still new to flying heli's
I have a Blade cx2 and like to upgrade. The LHS is pointing me to a AXEcp.
But I was at a heli show and was asking people that flying heli's. They said to jump up to a trex 450se v 2. But that's alot of $$ for me at this time.
The LHS then pointed me to a night ranger 3D. Saying it's close to the trex450se V2 but only less $$. Is it close to the trex450 V2?
It's a bigger jump from a Blade cx2 to the night ranger 3D then to a AXEcp. But the cost of parts is more for the night ranger then the AXEcp. I find I learn more flying then a sim.

I see the rebate for the AXEcp, If I get this one will I need to upgrade in a short
time like I am with the Blade cx2?
Any inputs??
thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2007, 08:46 PM
innocent victim
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/honeybee3.htm
Sep 27, 2007, 08:47 PM
I have a heli problem...
Go to www.ehirobo.com and get a CopterX SE the people here on rcgroups in the mini thread seem to really like it and say it is the best Trex clone they have seen and that the aluminum is the same type. It is a full part for part replica for 185 plus shipping. They also sell as an option a 430L Clone motor set that supposedly is a direct clone of the align motor. Then you can get some Hextronik D9 Li-Po 3s 20-30C 2200 mah packs from www.unitedhobbies.com. I own these packs and they are awesome for 30 bucks. They fly a trex with ease.

Corinator
Sep 28, 2007, 03:31 AM
If you decide to get a CCPM heli as your next one and it only has a rate gyro, you should get a heading lock gyro for it right away or get one that comes with one. This id one component that makes a world of difference.
Sep 28, 2007, 06:07 AM
Thread OP
What is the comparison of the honeybee3, Night ranger 3D, AXEcp, CopterX SE.?

Corinator that was the “CopterX CX 450SE” for about $430

Jetskeeter sorry you lost me with your reply. About a heading lock or rate gyro. What heli might need one or not need one.

From the responses I’d say the “Night ranger 3D”, or “AXEcp”, are not good heli’s? Why?
Sep 28, 2007, 06:55 AM
Too dumb to upload an avatar.
This question has been asked a million times. Some people can learn on a collective pitch heli. However, its easier and cheaper to go with a fixed pitch heli. The easier is debatable, but I think everyone will agree that fixed pitch helis like the honey bee FP are more damage resistent and when they do crash, they are easy and cheap to repair. If you really like this hobby, you will eventually get a collective pitch heli as they have much more capabilities. But don't worry, everyone still keeps their fixed pitch helis because they're fun and easy and you'll want another heli to fly after you fly your expensive CP heli into a bush. But that's never happened to me
Sep 28, 2007, 06:58 AM
Also, LHS will push what they have in stock and not always what's best for you. Depending on your location, you can find an online place that can get you the parts you need in a few days. When I crash and break a part, I buy 2 or 3 of them so next time I don't have to wait. You'll figure out what parts break the most and stock up on those.
Sep 28, 2007, 07:02 AM
I agree with chrise2,don't go for a collective pitch heli yet,i did and it extremely frustrating and expensive to fix,more parts to break means more parts to replace.
Sep 28, 2007, 11:16 AM
innocent victim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff1
I agree with chrise2,don't go for a collective pitch heli yet.
guess you missed my post

A FP heli IMO, makes a better trainer because if you break it, it's easy to fix but 80% of the time when you crash there are no repairs needed, you just set it back on it's skids, straiten the blades, and off you go again. More stick time and less repair time. And a lot of people say that if you can learn to fly a FP (fly not only hover) you will pick up a CP heli pretty easily. For me, it was cost saving all the way around. Oh and a sim doesnt hurt either.
Sep 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah sorry BK i missed that.

BladeKiller and Chrise2 are right and my story is proof of that,in 3 weeks i've spent as much on replacement parts as the heli cost to buy!

Add to that the fact that the thing has spent less than 5 mins in the air (half bad weather and half repairing the heli) and you can see what an uphill battle i'm having learning to fly.
Sep 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
Born again newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Killer
I disagree. He has a CX2 so he already has a LiPo charger. I would go with either a HBFP for 90 ish bucks with the NiMH pack and buy a couple of common sense packs for around $12 each. Look for JustPlaneChris' advice in the HBFP thread for more info. I found JPC's advice 1 or 2 days after i ordered my HBFP Mk3 with LiPo from HL. I too have a CX2 so I was a little disappointed in my purchase. Not hugely as we are only talking $20 but still. Half of it was that I was hoping the HPFP Mk3 would have a better LiPo mount.

If you must go CP check out the Honeybee King V2. It apparently feels more like a 450 than a small bird. It is most definitely an outdoor heli if that is what you are going for. I intend to get a HBK2 once I've mastered my HBFP.

If you do not have one already; get a sim!! Personally I se the ESky USB TX and Clearview. The ESky USB TX can be purchased from dealextreme.com for $24 including world wide shipping.
Sep 28, 2007, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
For the Honeybee King V2. if i need to replace parts will I be paying for 1/2 the heli Griff1? That is why the LHS said to go with a AXEcp. Replacements parts are cheaper for that one.
dmulligan --You go to the HBK2 and not the CopterX SE.? Is it a better heli? Your right

I have a CX2 that's close to a HBFP right?

The next upgrade is a "CP" heli like a Honeybee King V2. or AXEcp or CopterX SE.? So how do these compaire.
Sep 28, 2007, 04:51 PM
The CX2 is nothing like a FP. The CX2 is a coaxial helicopter and is not considered a "real" heli. The FP is a real heli. Just getting the heli to hover can take weeks of practice. A CP heli is a gazillion times more sensative than a FP heli making it tougher to learn on. A CP heli also costs more when you crash as there's a lot more fragile parts and the blades spin much faster which does more damage when you crash.
Sep 28, 2007, 05:05 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
Quote:
Originally Posted by data_2

I have a CX2 that's close to a HBFP right?

The next upgrade is a "CP" heli like a Honeybee King V2. or AXEcp or CopterX SE.? So how do these compaire.

Wrong, CX is coaxil & it is totally different in the way you control it. A CX you could lift up & it will hang there but a CP or FP will go wild if your not making corrections all the time. I have to agree with the FP route on the basis of most of them are seemingly indestructable (see my sabre hit pallets of coke in my A bit of an unexpexted durability test video on you tube 'p4ddythehelipilot' Now a lot of people say "why didn't i get the trex, HBking etc in the 1st place. Yes they are more stable, the tail holds solid (need good gyro & servo) in the way that you don't need to touch it unless you wana turn. If you have a good supply of cash then go for it with a CP but the crashes WILL be HARDER & MUCH more expenive. If i had of got my trex & not bothered with a FP i honestly think i would've probably been too afraid of it. The 1st time you spool one up your like AAARRRGH!! OMG it's fast. My LHS only done the sabres daddy the Shogun & was a recomended step up but then i got a computer & got online & discovered a whole massive option & better deals too. Then theres the do i get ccpm or HDE? You'll have to buy a TX & preferably one that will see you through to larger heli's, or you can get a rtf deal.
Sep 28, 2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah, CP head speed is cool. I almost pooped my pants the first time I spooled up my King 2 after having the honey bee fp. Probably shouldn't of done that in my living room.

Quick Reply