Jan 02, 2009, 11:36 AM
aka : SteveBB..
Thanks Gary,

I wasn't clear. I didn't actually get a wooden prop, just a nylon electric one. Yep, as you say, get it built and off to the field!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2009, 03:23 PM
BRC HOBBIES are doing a wooden EP prop now. i will be getting some for my planes
Jan 02, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm running a Xoar 11x5.5 and it is perfect for the TC. Helps give it some scale appearance.

BTW - I fixed my TC fuselage and have put about 5 flights on it so far. Seems to fly fine.

Jan 02, 2009, 07:16 PM
That wood prop looks great!

Daniel
Jan 02, 2009, 07:47 PM
Things that do fly
i pass my taylorcraft 20 times a day and check this thread also and i never tire of looking at it ,has to be one of the nicest looking planes i have ever seen , and it is so relaxing to fly also ,dont seem to need to concentrate when i fly this one.can anyone tell me the flight time difference when swaping 11x7 that i use with 10x7 and 10x 6 ?
Jan 02, 2009, 08:43 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb
I'm running a Xoar 11x5.5 and it is perfect for the TC. Helps give it some scale appearance.

BTW - I fixed my TC fuselage and have put about 5 flights on it so far. Seems to fly fine.
Sweet! I run a Xoar 12x7.. Performance is NOT scale but the looks are pretty good.

So tomorrow is "Fix the Taylorcraft day" .. On Thanksgiving morning I stalled about 20' up and went in nose first. smashed the firewall and did some other damage.. Here is the "before" pic... Hopefully the after will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

I ordered the window set and cowl back in November. I got the window set but the cowl is still back ordered... I'll just fly it with the smashed one if I have to... heh

-Jay
Last edited by CyberJay; Jan 02, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Jan 02, 2009, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Good perspective in that pic. Kind of like looking at mine, hanging from the ceiling. I looked at a couple of on-line shops but didn't see a 11x5.5 XOAR. Where'd you get yours?

CR
Jan 02, 2009, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay
I ordered the window set and cowl back in November. I got the window set but the cowl is still back ordered... I'll just fly it with the smashed one if I have to... heh
-Jay
HobbyZone has the cowl in stock.
EDIT: My bad - they show out of stock. I read it wrong.

But it looks in stock at these places after googling.
Great Hobbies
Advantage Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
Good perspective in that pic. Kind of like looking at mine, hanging from the ceiling. I looked at a couple of on-line shops but didn't see a 11x5.5 XOAR. Where'd you get yours?

CR
I got mine from EspritModel.com ( here ). Looks like I have the 11x5 - not 5.5 as quoted before but it provides plenty of pull and can climb vertical with my Hacker A30-28S (1140KV) and OutrageX25-1800 packs. Also, AtlantaHobby.com has Xoar props in stock as well.
Last edited by brucewsb; Jan 02, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Jan 03, 2009, 08:47 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thanks Bruce but I've already got my order placed at my LHS. I'll just wait until it comes in.

-Jay
Jan 03, 2009, 12:30 PM
Never hurts to have an extra spare sitting around. I've got 3 smashed ones sitting in my parts pile.
Jan 03, 2009, 05:23 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Quote:
So tomorrow is "Fix the Taylorcraft day" .. On Thanksgiving morning I stalled about 20' up and went in nose first. smashed the firewall and did some other damage.. Here is the "before" pic... Hopefully the after will be posted tomorrow afternoon.
And here are the "after" pics.. Should be good to go same as it ever was. I used 1/8" ply which is a little heavier than the stuff that was there originally. I moved my 40a ESC back from the motor box to around the dashboard area. Hopefully that will make up the difference for CG.

-Jay
Jan 03, 2009, 06:59 PM
Where did you get the wooden motor mount? Or did it not get damaged in the crash? I rebuilt the firewall on my first one and it still in good shape but the motor mount is trashed.
Jan 03, 2009, 08:06 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Quote:
Where did you get the wooden motor mount? Or did it not get damaged in the crash? I rebuilt the firewall on my first one and it still in good shape but the motor mount is trashed.
That's the original motor box. The firewall was in tooth picks and the motor, motor box, and battery were all back under the pilot's seat. So we built a new firewall and a new battery tray. Then I had to order a new windshield and cowl. I'll also need to get another Xoar 12x7 prop... I had to revert back to my APC 11x7 for now.

-Jay

EDIT: I flew it for about 2 minutes just before sunset. Took like 3 clicks of up trim but I may have had my battery further forward than usual. Other than that it flew like the same old TC.
Jan 03, 2009, 09:40 PM
Old Bold Pilot

TC firewall

Quote:
That's the original motor box. The firewall was in tooth picks and the motor, motor box, and battery were all back under the pilot's seat. So we built a new firewall and a new battery tray. Then I had to order a new windshield and cowl. I'll also need to get another Xoar 12x7 prop... I had to revert back to my APC 11x7 for now.

-Jay

EDIT: I flew it for about 2 minutes just before sunset. Took like 3 clicks of up trim but I may have had my battery further forward than usual. Other than that it flew like the same old TC.
Hi Jay,
I'm just putting one together, and am wondering about the flimsy looking center section. I know the firewall is puny and several of y'all have said the motor box isn't glued too good. Any other beefing up you would recommend before I go out and crash? and are the wings always warped
Stan
Jan 03, 2009, 09:57 PM
Stan - you can certainly beef it up...

They when you crash you will ruin your motor! Yea!

Mike

Quick Reply