Oct 25, 2007, 06:28 PM
Well I now own a bottle of Ultimate RC Foam Glue, cost almost $20.00 and took almost a week to receive. So far I am very disappointed in it. I have tried it on EPP to EPP, Cellfoam 88 to Cellfoam 88, and EPP to Cellfoam 88. Followed directions and waited for 8 hours to test strength of bond. All joints seperated cleanly. Could actually peal it cleanly from EPP after seperation.

Performed same test with UHU Creative less than $5.00 at Michael's and 40 minutes from home. Seperates pieces of EPP from its base sheet, pulls parts from Cellfoam 88 as well. Glued EPP to EPP to Cellfoam 88 using both the Ultimate and the UHU. The Ultimate let go before the UHU.

Have not allowed it to dry for 24 Hours, is this my problem? Plan to try it on a Corsair Micro Warbird, the frame does not have a lot of stress on it, and if it does not bond extremely strong, that is OK! It is fairly common to need to seperate the fusalage for motor replacement or experimenting.

If I am doing something wrong, to impatient, or trying to bond the wrong materials please advise!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping it would live up to the advertising.

Strick
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2007, 08:04 PM
Just one more flight...
Hey Strick,

I'm trying out the glue myself too now... Few things I am doing to get a really good joint:

1) I clean off the foam like Rick does in the video. I have never done that before but it does help.
2) I poke tiny holes in the joint so the glue gets in there. I think that was on the video too. Helps it soak in and get more of a surface area.
3) I put just a little bit more on than the instructions say... thats just me.
4) Absolutely let it sit for 24 hours. Its like a "build" glue, not a "field" glue ya know. Mine is still gooey after a few hours, much stronger after 24.

So far its been working super good on depron and the little epp I have tired!
See if any of those tips make a difference!

Dave
Oct 25, 2007, 08:23 PM
Dave,

For some reason after downloading the newest version of Windows Media Player, I can not open that video. I feel very good about Yardbirds as a vendor, but felt the RC Group would give me the quickest and best info.

Just impatient, need to perforate, and clean parts. What is Rick cleaning with?

Strick
Oct 25, 2007, 08:35 PM
Just one more flight...
I am double checking the video now... looks like he used rubbing alcohol on a rag to wipe the foam down first. There is just a slight layer of grezz on some foams.

And for the perforation, I use a pin (needle) or a toothpick.
Oct 25, 2007, 08:36 PM
Just one more flight...
Hey here is the vids on youtube! The 2nd video is the one you want!
ULTIMATE RC FOAM GLUE (3 min 46 sec)

ULTIMATE RC FOAM GLUE # 2 (3 min 52 sec)
Oct 25, 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the assistance. I have several project going this week that will allow me to test the procedures in the video. Will report back on my results, and hopefully have to reaccess my initial impressions. Besides a little crow is good for the soul !

Strick
Oct 25, 2007, 09:26 PM
Just one more flight...
Hey thats great, happy to help! Yes, let us know how it goes.
Nov 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
Dang!!!!!
Here is link for some new instructions for URCFG.

Thanks

Yardbird RC
Nov 25, 2007, 11:03 PM
The new instructions are more informative and closer to the results of some testing on my behalf. Applied it to cellfoam88 and a broken foam cowl on a Cox micro warbird with excellent results. My waiting 24 hrs greatly helped as well as being frugal in the amount used. Extremely pleased with results and slight time-delay to fine tune parts alignment was a big plus too.

Even after prepping the EPP, and trying the "contact glue" adhesion style & the bottles directions, I still conclude that I am stuck on UHU for EPP. Got a little over-confident on a highspeed, low altitude, inverted pass with a MS Composites FW-190 and the only repaired joint that failed was the one using Ultimate.

Just ordered a couple of depron kits from RC SuperPowers, the full-blown Eurofighter will be the Ultimate test for any Foam Glue. It has the potential to stress every joint in any imaginable direction. Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!

Tempted to try it on a Yardbird sitting on the shelf of the Hobby House in New Bern. Just joking, will get it tomorrow if it has not flown off the shelf! If so get ready for an order.

Strick
Nov 25, 2007, 11:59 PM
Just one more flight...
Hey Strick, great to hear. Here is my depron report:

So I got this depron school bus the drives on the ground, I hit CH6 and the wings and tail pops out and it fly away. Works good and is very funny. Will have pics and video...

So Its a high demand vehicle cause its always banging on the ground, driving, and then flying again. So I figured it it would be a great high stress depron test plane for the glue. Here's the report:

- "Less is better" or however Rick says it. I know why this is true. If you goop it on or try and "fill a gap" like you do with a epoxy or GG, it doesn't work that way. It does literally "weld" foam to foam. So what that means is in a build its the best I have used cause its just a little bit will melt the foam together, just like you need a little bit of weld to connect metal. More does NOT equal better, see. Less is better.

Works out nice cause one bottle lasts until you lose it.

- Plywood mounts, horns, carbon fiber. I did use it to glue my ply horns and mount and carbon to the foam and that did work, but just barely. It was trying to weld the foam to them but would not stick on the wood as much. It DID hold plenty strong, but on my next build for the wood, servos, carbon, magnets, etc I am going to use epoxy. Use the Ultimate Glue for foam to foam for best results!

- Working Time. Its definitely build glue, not something to take to the field. Its MUCH easier to work with than CA or even Epoxy. Holds quick and allows you to take your hands off it. BUT it does take about 24 hours to get to its 100% hold.

- Overall I would its my new "BUILD GLUE" for foam to foam. Its super light weight and is spotless. I am very happy with it. We will have it on our website as well once I get a cybertron-second of free time to put it up!

Dave
www.RCPowers.com
Aug 17, 2009, 07:59 AM
Dave Segal
I won't use this stuff again. It took almost three days for the joints to dry.
Aug 21, 2009, 09:02 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often

Beacon Adhesives RC Glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsegal
I won't use this stuff again. It took almost three days for the joints to dry.

I had the same problem until I actually pulled the joint apart the 5 times as recommended and then it sets up tough. Makes a pretty good "contact cement" for depron and bluecore. Pokin holes with the T-pins in the area to be joined is a good idea too.

I have looked all over for UHU Creative and POR but they just don't sell it out here in AZ so I tried some stuff off the shelf at Wally Mart and this is what I came up with.

FABRI-TAC glue from Wally Mart and the craft stores. I believe it to be identical to the expensive RC stuff. I have both and paid over $12.00 for 4 ounces of RC stuff and $4.50 for 4 ounces of the FABRI-TAC. I don't see any difference in the results, it smells the same and is made by Beacon Adhesives just like the RC stuff. Give it a try, you might save enough to buy some more Depron...LOL

Liquid nails perfect glue works great also but it costs an arm and a leg so I don't buy that any more.

Cheers
Aug 22, 2009, 09:19 AM
Ive got some ultimate and some 5 min epoxy. My fire wall tore off. Which is better for that?
Aug 22, 2009, 03:21 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage
Ive got some ultimate and some 5 min epoxy. My fire wall tore off. Which is better for that?

Epoxy. In my opinion epoxy is about as strong as it gets. Fights vibration and is very tough. I always use epoxy for the firewall, landing gear area and anything that needs to be strong such as carbon fiber rod installation.

But then I build heavy. My brother says " I build to crash not to fly", however, I still have almost all of my planes and have only tossed out a couple of well abused foamies and a couple of snap-happy balsa planes.

I use the Fabri-Tac and Ultimate for glueing doublers and anywhere that I can put flat surface against flat surface but I still like epoxy for firewalls and any 90 degree joints.

Cheers, John
Aug 28, 2009, 03:04 PM
i have been using liquid nails perfect glue i found at home depot here.

i emailed liquid nails and asked them if it was discontinued as the web page says
they said if you can't find "perfect glue" then liquid nails home projects is the same exact stuff just a new line of adhesive names. has the same putty knife like screw lid.

i love the stuff sands well hold is amazing even on a 90 easy to clean up.

kind of like a rubbery feel when it is dry. sets in one hour dry in 8.

Quick Reply