Sep 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
For gluing Carbon rods to foam, I've used Sumo,Gorilla and Epoxy all with good success. For the Sumo/gorilla type glues that expand as they set, I wait a bit to scrape off the first expansion foam and then cover the joint with masking tape. This helps force the expanding glue into the crevasses around the carbon rod.
Ivor
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2007, 02:09 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy
For gluing Carbon rods to foam, I've used Sumo,Gorilla and Epoxy all with good success. For the Sumo/gorilla type glues that expand as they set, I wait a bit to scrape off the first expansion foam and then cover the joint with masking tape. This helps force the expanding glue into the crevasses around the carbon rod.
Ivor
Sounds messy! Do you have some finished pics? That's what I like about the UHU Just about invisible!
boomer
Sep 29, 2007, 05:20 PM
Soooo... no MSDS fo rthis stuff? I really need to know before buying some.
Sep 29, 2007, 08:11 PM
Boffin

Msds

Many of these privately relabelled products ignore the laws about MSDS. Obviously they don't intend this for a workplace though -- they are just marketing to hobbyists. You can try calling Yardbird RC.

Looks like PVA to me.

Rick.
Sep 29, 2007, 08:32 PM
I really doubt it is PVA. BUt thanks...
Sep 29, 2007, 08:46 PM
Boffin
They call it "resin" which is code for PVA.

Here is a long thread from 2002 about the many variations on the PVA theme.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59805

Keep in mind that these glues that require air drying don't dry for days or weeks if the foam is thick. I have stuck 2 sheets of 1/4" Depron together (so its now 1/2") and found the glue still wet in the middle a month later. I use Sumo glue almost exclusively now.

Rick.
Sep 29, 2007, 11:37 PM
Dang!!!!!
We use the URCFG (Ultimate RC Foam) To glue CF (carbon fiber) to foam everyday at Yardbird RC. In the two kits we build here in-house we use the URCFG for everything except for CF to CF. The kits have a flat CF wing spar and .070 CF rods. All are glued into place with URCFG. You don't have to wait to glue with URCFG. Keep the glue layer thin and you can glue the pieces together with no wait. Less is more. You can use it like contact cement if you like. We typically only put a thin even layer on one side of the joint.

Thanks

Yardbird RC
Sep 29, 2007, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=Yardbird RC]...

Yardbird RC[/QUOTE

Interesting. Where's the MSDS?
Sep 29, 2007, 11:49 PM
Dang!!!!!
The MSDS is available to our customers upon request.

There seems to be a misunderstanding that this product is relabeled. This product was developed by a large glue manufacture that makes everything from school glue to aerospace products.Yardbird RC help develop and test the glue.Yardbird RC is the exclusive distributor for URCFG. I don't knew how this relabeled idea got started.

The article is a accurate example of the results that can be achieved with URCFG.

Thanks

Yardbird RC
Last edited by Yardbird RC; Sep 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM.
Sep 30, 2007, 01:40 AM
Boffin
I didn't mean any disrespect with the term relabeled, but it was obvious you don't manufacture this glue. I also have nothing against PVA (I have at least a dozen kinds myself) and it is a pretty useful adhesive.

I personally am uncomfortable purchasing a product that doesn't identify what it is. I was certain that SoftSoap wasn't soap but it took a while to determine that it was a laureth detergent (its not on the label in Canada).

There is a certain level of mysticism associated with retail adhesives. I am amazed and dissapointed that Henkel calls Sumo Glue stronger, but doesn't produce a TDS for it or any measure of tensile strength. For every other product they disclose very detailed information as a matter of course.

Rick.
Last edited by rpage53; Sep 30, 2007 at 02:02 AM.
Sep 30, 2007, 07:13 AM
for some applications, I've been using Liquid Nails Perfect glue #1. It dries clear, remains semi flexible and can be seperated if enough intentional peeling is applied. It really shines on EPP. I've used it on EPP, depron, styro, even balsa and metal. Take the cox micro warbirds for example. A simple 130 can motor is glued to the structure using LNPG#1, one the motor fries after 50 flights, it can be peeld out of the mount and another one glued right in. Sometimes I use it on cowls that I need to be able to remove, a cut along the glue line with an exacto knife and we're good to go. I've also used it on flat profile foamies too.
Oct 10, 2007, 10:04 PM
For what it's worth, Sumo will yellow within a couple hours in the sun. The CLEAR Gorilla Glue seems to stay white for least weeks of sun exposure, if not a lot longer. Wally carries really small dispensers of the clear GG. It's good, but I do notice my EPP plane has become stiff around the repairs and more prone to further damage over time.
Oct 10, 2007, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53
I personally am uncomfortable purchasing a product that doesn't identify what it is. I was certain that SoftSoap wasn't soap but it took a while to determine that it was a laureth detergent (its not on the label in Canada).

Rick.
And so you should be. It is violation of Canadian Federal law to sell a product in Canada without an accompanying MSDS if the substance is in WHMIS. And most glues (VOCs etc.) certainly are.
Oct 11, 2007, 09:40 AM
Re the Sumo glue turning yellow in sunlight, fortunately that's not a problem in the Seattle area. If it turned yellow in overcast conditions I'd be worried. I'll keep an eye out for the clear GG. Thanks for the tip.
Ivor
Oct 11, 2007, 03:45 PM
Boffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
And so you should be. It is violation of Canadian Federal law to sell a product in Canada without an accompanying MSDS if the substance is in WHMIS. And most glues (VOCs etc.) certainly are.
If they are packaged as consumer products, as this R/C glue and Sumo glue clearly are, they are exempt.

Quick Reply