My Latest Scratch Build - RC Groups
Nov 29, 2002, 12:57 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller

My Latest Scratch Build

Hi Guys

I thought you may be interested in my latest project. It's a 30" wingspan 300 powered foamie.

The wing is my first attempt at hot wire cutting and it turned out great. It's the same profile as the Fundango (I had a spare rib to use as a pattern for the template). The wing is ccvered in brown paper and white glue and has a 1/8 x 1/4 balsa spar on the underside (I don't think it really needs this as it's very strong). Ailerons were cut out after covering and attached with the blue packing tape used to cover the brown paper.

The fuse is all 3mm Depron sheet based on Hoppy's Hoot. It's also covered with brown paper and glue. It's very, very strong (needs to be with my flying skills LOL)

Power is a GWS 300 motor in a GWS 100C gear box giving 4:1 for the 8 x 6 prop. Battery is 8 cell 720 mAH NiMH and static current draw is around 5A.

I've not flown it yet but it should be good.

I'm calling it 'Pixie'

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2002, 12:57 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
another view
Nov 29, 2002, 12:58 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
and another ...
Nov 29, 2002, 12:59 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
last one !!
Nov 29, 2002, 01:06 PM
6 planes 2 jets 2 helis
Very nice

I've ordered my XBow plans last night but can't start building till X-mas. The B3F is just staring at me just waiting, waiting to be cut,AARRRRG I can't wait.

I hope it is as fun as your plane looks.

Goodluck on the maiden
Jon
Nov 29, 2002, 01:16 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
Thanks Jon

I post a report when I have finally flown her.

Andy
Nov 29, 2002, 03:11 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
Here's a view of the inside ...
Nov 30, 2002, 05:54 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
I'm just off to fly Pixie. The sky is dull and overcast and it looks like rain but there's no wind. I'll post a flight report later.

Andy
Nov 30, 2002, 08:42 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Very nice looking plane, Andy. Looking forward to your flight report.

Al
Dec 01, 2002, 06:03 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
Well as it turned out I didn't get to fly yesterday. The heavens opened just as I got to my local park. Oh well! I sulked all the way home and spent a couple of hours adding landing gear so Pixie's now got legs. I'll try again when the weather calms down. I've got a good feeling about this plane.

Andy