Sep 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
New Product

Headplay Goggles are the Best!

Just got the new Headplay Goggles from Headplay.com . Wow this system is the best! All of my other goggles, most of them I sold for nothing, when you turn them on that's it. There are no adjustments to be made. Just put on a hat to block out the sun. When turning on the Headplay unit...it loads up....wow. Then a main menu screen...what's this? Brightness, contrast, color control? Gets even better. When alot of us fly, we need to do all different things to fit our diffent heads. Headplay has all this taken care of. With four sliders underneath the lenses, they will fit any ones face. Slide the lens towards your eyes and away from your eyes, move each one left and right until it is perfect. When you have it correct it looks HD. Now that is a big plus. My two brothers and I went FPV flying last night and late morning today, about 11 flights in all with the Headplay system. Normally we would just deal with the different light changes, but not with HP. Brightness button here I come! Sun going down. Let's see, add brightness, cut the contrast and bam, the picture is bright and clear. The set of goggles we have been using all summer have been the best yet. Most sturdy and the largest picture. When we got those (RV 545BK) we were all blown away and said someone would need to do allot to make goggles better. Well these are it. With all the adjustments and the size of the Headplay screen...amazing. 800 x 600 upto 1024 x 720 and 3d gaming. The picture size is very noticeably larger than all goggles I have seen and owned. Now that is what counts, the picture. The LCDs are lavishly beautiful. The extra large picture, the colors and the closeness makes this system very desirable. The Liberator is a thing of genius. This is another element I have never seen. The first thing I did was put a USB memory stick into the unit and got a full up close screening of all my pic's. Now this was nice. Next I played some MP3's. When I started a song, a menu popped up for me to control the music..this is getting wild. The only thing I ever did with all my other sets was to FPV. I tried watching a movie with other sets and after twenty minutes they became real uncomfortable. Headplay just feels like I'm wearing a hat. MMMM....the X-Box 360. I left the Headplay on and after listening to some music I plugged the 360 in. Cool! After playing a full 18 holes of Tiger Woods 08, the Headplay still felt good on my head. Hands down the best set of well, my only set of FULL anything goes personal entertainment goggles.
Last edited by Domoson; Sep 21, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the great reveiw Domoson From your description, and from what I see on thier website, they would be well worth the 500 dollar purchase price. My finger is just itching over that "BUY" button right now.

In the last few months, I have decided to upgrade my FPV ground system. So much of the FPV experience is determined by the picture we are looking at, so I use the best cameras and RF links I can get. I spend pretty easily 500 dollars on building a plane with all the electronics , but Planes get lost, or crashed, etc. etc. I have never yet crashed my FPV goggles, so I am more ready to spend more money there than anywhere else. Yes, I think you have talked me into it

JettPilot
Sep 21, 2007, 08:46 PM
Closed Account

z800

Jett,

I thought you are using z800's... Tired of them already or just looking for something else to try?...

Jeff
Sep 21, 2007, 09:04 PM
I am always looking for something better. And anyways, I always have two sets of goggles going. My wife watches and flys a lot, and I have to keep an eye on her, or next thing I know she would be flying over the beach looking at all the guys in bathing suits There are always a bunch of other flyers at the field that also want to try FPV, so if the headplay goggles are good, the Z800 could be for everyone else.

JettPilot
Sep 21, 2007, 10:05 PM
I like the design, but GESH ok $500 for them? Hmm That's going to take some justification. Then again I'm still trying to justify the $200 battery for my '32' sized plane
Sep 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
Closed Account

Waiting for the JettReview...

I'd love to hear how the HeadPlays compare to the z800s. Let us know when you can...

What is your location? I ask because I'M in paradise and I never see you at Starbucks...

Jeff
Sep 22, 2007, 12:44 AM
Hmmm very cool find Todd! I like it... I like it a lot! Sigh... if I were a millionaire
Sep 22, 2007, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
I like the design, but GESH ok $500 for them? Hmm That's going to take some justification. Then again I'm still trying to justify the $200 battery for my '32' sized plane
Have you looked at the new A123 cells ? I have been reading about them over in the batteries/chargers forum and they look GREAT. Lots of guys having good luck with them, and they dont puff, and go bad like LIPO's. They advertise 1000 - 2000 cycles and they handle a little abuse (overcharge / undercharge ) without damage.

If you get them from the DeWalt power tool batteries, they are about half the cost of individual cells.

JettPilot
Sep 22, 2007, 09:50 AM
I love the Headplay so much. Other goggles just look like a square screen infront of you. The Headplay make you feel like you are in a movie theater looking at the Big screen. Plus you can get updates for the software it uses plus you can do so much more than with other goggles out there.
Sep 22, 2007, 11:28 AM
Are you sure that you don't work there? Or a friend or family member?

You've piqued my interest, anyway.
Sep 22, 2007, 02:53 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangus
Are you sure that you don't work there? Or a friend or family member?
Well, I'm sure that with regard to the other thread Headplay require some return on investment

Quote:
When we got those (RV 545BK) we were all blown away and said someone would need to do allot to make goggles better. Well these are it.
That just confirms once again that I won't be making myself any opinion before I get to try some. Goggles evaluation is VERY subjective. People can see the worst out there and still think they are good until they've tried better. It's more valid for goggles than anything else. When compared to what I'm used to, maybe I'll see the same difference favouring my Sony against the HP than you see with the HP next to the 545...
Sep 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
FPV Flyer
Yes could be,I compared my sony glasstrons s700 with the z800 and think that sony are way superior in image quality. The diference in FOV is not that big deal, and didn´t make a diference at all. But sony´s what I´m used to since couple of month.
Sep 22, 2007, 03:49 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Exact same observations. Nothing beats those 10-year old S700s...

Another thing crossed my mind this morning. How many digital cameras and camcorders out there have an EVF? LOTS. And they all have good optics that don't have ugly deformations, color separation, critical eye alignment and other problems we have with goggles.
Now my question is, why the hell can't anyone make decent goggles even for $400+, when it seems that easy to do for what is only a small part (tiny fraction of the cost) of a $300 camera?!
Sep 22, 2007, 03:56 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Exact same observations. Nothing beats those 10-year old S700s...

Another thing crossed my mind this morning. How many digital cameras and camcorders out there have an EVF? LOTS. And they all have good optics that don't have ugly deformations, color separation, critical eye alignment and other problems we have with goggles.
Now my question is, why the hell can't anyone make decent goggles even for $400+, when it seems that easy to do for what is only a small part (tiny fraction of the cost) of a $300 camera?!
Maybe you should figure that out...

When I lived in Japan, I saw some lcd screens around 4 cm across for around $100...two of those with the right optics...imagine the possibilities...
Sep 22, 2007, 04:03 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Too bulky, heavy and expensive with the mass of glass you'll need for the optics. But I agree that since excessive magnification limits quality for high FOVs, going with slightly bigger screens (~1-2cm diag) would be something to investigate.

Quick Reply