Sep 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Build Log

F22 Delta Jet build log

Ok, so I am feeling good with my Superflea. Feeling real good. Ready for something faster...but not a hyperflea.

I am a tinkerer by nature, and would rather build something from scratch than buy a kit.

Wanted to build something on a delta platform, perhaps a pusher jet.

I have the following on hand:

-AR6100 rx & my trusty DX7
-Castle TB9 ESC
-Feigao 12mm brushless
-Several size GWS props
-2x 3.9g servos
-2x 7.5g servos
-2cell 480mah & 600mah lipos
-Sheet depron and supplies

I would be game for EPP vs depron though. Aside from that, looks like I am going to adapt Dekan's F22 plan at 60% scaled down size.

Dave
Last edited by cobra command; Sep 19, 2007 at 04:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
This link is the goal I have- adapt this jet to my gear. But how to scale it down appropriately?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=epp+jet
Sep 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Planned to source EPP from here:

http://rcskyflyer.com/page4.html

Was going to go 1.3# density to keep the weight down...but what thickness to do?
Sep 17, 2007, 08:21 PM
He Did WHAT? "AGAIN?"
Your servos are a little on the small side for that plane but because it should come in under 7 ounce I think it will be ok. I don't think it needs to be scaled down to use your gear really. To keep it lite just try making the fuse out of one piece instead of two. If you already have Depron just try that first.
Sep 17, 2007, 08:22 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
If you're looking for a more "pure" delta, there's always the possibility of making a Mirage. Over the last two days, I put together this F-86 Sabre and realized that the same kind of "tube platform" could be used for a number of different jets.

Sounds like you have Depron and a Feigao 12mm motor. All you'd need is the shroud and the fan (could get that from BP Hobbies for not very much $$$). Make a tube - put the ducted fan in the front of that like my F-86. Cut out the delta shape of the wings, glue to the tube, add two servos for elevon control. Trace the rest of the fuselage profile and the tail from foam, hot glue onto tube, and you'd be all set - ducted fan jet!

Just a thought.
Sep 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh28
Your servos are a little on the small side for that plane but because it should come in under 7 ounce I think it will be ok. I don't think it needs to be scaled down to use your gear really. To keep it lite just try making the fuse out of one piece instead of two. If you already have Depron just try that first.
I was thinking to goal around 4-5 oz AUW-

I do want it to be a screamer, but still controllable at a slower clip.

I dont know enough about wing loading though to do the scaling...

I considered taking it down 1/2 size and going 6mm rather than 10mm foam.

What do you think?
Sep 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
He Did WHAT? "AGAIN?"
I have only made four of them from 6mm Depron but think if you half size it the wind may have more control than you will at times. Think 3/4 size and your in your weight range I would bet. These planes just aren't that big to start off with and mine only comes in at 8.5 ounces with a TP-1320 2 cell.
Sep 17, 2007, 09:49 PM

My EPP F22

I build a 16" F22 Raptor out of 9mm EPP (slofly.com). I originally flew it on 2S which barely kept it airborne. I eventually went with 3S to get the extra power.

It's kinda tricky to launch, I have to use a brisk underhand toss. As soon as I apply power it torques to the left, if I don't correct it right away it'll go into the ground. I've gotten better at launching but I'd say 1/3 of my launches fail.

Once in the air it's a bit of a handful but definately a hoot to fly. The thrust vectoring add another dimision to flying.

My advice to you is to keep things as light as possible. Let me know if you have questions.

Here are some pics.
Sep 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
Equinsu Ocha
I think this one would be a winner!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=draken
Sep 18, 2007, 05:21 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Ordered some 6mm & 9mm epp in both densities.
Going to go 2/3rd as Kosh suggested.
Wish me luck! And thanks for the help guys!
Dave
Sep 18, 2007, 11:58 AM
He Did WHAT? "AGAIN?"
Its a pretty easy build and if I can help in some small way just shoot me a message.
Sep 18, 2007, 12:39 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Try a SkyRay , they're FUN and easy... good at low speeds too...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Sep 18, 2007, 12:42 PM
Time for another motto!
Probably Bill Segraves scale & tile can help you with sacling down the fullsize pdf plans. But why do you think you need to scale down?
Sep 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
Soil Density Tester
The 6mm might be good for a 2/3 version.
I build 15" F22's out of 3mm depron and power them with 12mm feigaos with gws 3x3 props on 3 cell 450 lipos. I use elevons and dial in some exponential for turning versus rolls. I also program some down elevator to throttle increase to keep from zooming.
I estimate speed to be in the 40-50 range and they aren't for beginners or for the timid.
I put very bright decals on top of the wings. 15" gets small in a hurry and orientation can be an issue with my old eyes.
Sep 18, 2007, 08:05 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Depron test frame built

Went 66% and did a full frame build to test. Going to put in all the electronics hopefully tomorrow and crash this sucker asap.

Used the good old hot glue hinge trick, works well on depron too!

Done in under two hours time, not bad...

EPP sheets shipped today, white and black- I am PSYCHED to get this puppy moving.

Dave
Last edited by cobra command; Sep 19, 2007 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply