Sep 21, 2007, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Just wanted to pass along that as others have said, Scorpion motor support via Innov8tive (Lucien) is superb. He has a new shaft on the way so I should be able to install that and be in the air next week.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Looks great TommyB,

Regarding Carbon for the TE of the Ailerons and Elevator/Rudder

Make certain to cut the long Aileron lengths first from each of the two carbon fiber stock. Then go back from the scrap and cut your Elevator and Rudder CF parts.

-Bill
Sep 21, 2007, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
Good point Bill, I think I captioned that in one of the photos or something. I think there's just enough either way, but its real close. Nice touch with the carbon by the way. I think I'll add that to my g-ride when I build it.

Another thought for the rest of you building these. I was going to add a steerable tailwheel during the build as I mentioned, but with the removable horizontal stab/elevator assembly, it will be an easy mod later on. I did drive it around on the ground enough to tell you, that even with the wire skid, it handles nice on the ground stock, at least on turf. For hard surfaces, a steerable tail is always welcome.
Sep 21, 2007, 05:48 PM
I ended up with a piece of cf that was 1/8" long. I was panicking when I realized I'd been cutting all the small pieces first and I didn't know if I could get all the pieces out of what I had left.

I think the skid will be enough, saves your rudder servo from landing damage. I don't see much taxiing for this thing anyway.
Sep 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
When are you getting yours airborne Unterhausen, I'm dying to see anyones fly or here a flight report.
Sep 21, 2007, 07:25 PM
Suspended Account
tommyB,
CF on the aileron TE is THE way to go. i wish i would have done it to my G-ride.
think about making the stab and elevator stiffer too. mine has a little deflection at full throws.
this is one of the very few times that i am looking forward to a monday. order for this plane will be made as soon as i wake up.
Sep 21, 2007, 10:11 PM
Last edited by smallrc; Oct 04, 2007 at 10:24 PM.
Sep 21, 2007, 11:15 PM
TommyB,

As someone else stated in a thread earlier, since the shafts in the Scorpion motor are fairly symmetrical, you can pull the broken one out, clean the burr off the broken end with a Dremel tool or file, and spin the shaft around and re-install it in the motor. This will get you back up in the air while you are waiting for the replacement shaft.

Lucien
Sep 22, 2007, 07:10 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Well I finished up my Shaft last night (this morning?) at about 12:30 AM. SO with any luck and nice weather we should be able to try to get her in the air today.

Hacker 20-20L, Cellpro 1250 3 S pack (didn't have a 3S TP 1320) AUW about 18 oz due to pack weight. Plenty of power with the Hacker. SHould be interesting!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 22, 2007, 09:51 AM
Thread OP
Looking forward to a flight report Brian...
Sep 22, 2007, 03:39 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Greetings All

Well the weather gods cooperated today. The flying weather was absolutely great here in Northern VA so my flying buddy Ron and I decided to take the Shaft out and give her a go.

Did some final fiddling and adjusting at the field as I was too tired last night to wrap all the small final details up. Had to set the surface neutral,s throw directions and amounts and tape the RX antennas in place. Am using the Futaba 2.4 gig system with the 6 channel RX and the 6EX 2.4 TX. Also installed my new Casttle CCBEC that I picked up at the NEAT Fair due to the 4 HS-55's, wasn't sure if the TB 18 could handle 4 servos on 3S so I decided to play it safe.

Set everything up, pointed her into the wind and away we went. Off the ground in about 10 feet and the Shaft would climb straight up forever!!! The Hacker system on 3S provides gobs of power for vertical climbs and it would hover for as long as you wnated. Very aerobatic on the suggested throws yet it would slow down and the glide was as flat and staright as can be. Had to put in a couple "clicks" of down trim and aome right aileron due to the fact I did not throw in any additional down or right thrust. Might add a bit.

We put two flights on it for a total 0f 15 minutes and Ron had a blast flying it.

All in all a great setup. This was one of the quicker builds I have done in a long while. I started it this past SUnday evening while watching SUnday Night Football and had it all framed up by Tuesday. Probably spent more time covering it than anything else, probably a total of 20 to 22 hours time from start to finish.

On the suggested Hacket setup the plane has enough power to do anything and then some. I note that Bill also recommends a geared GWS 350 setup, would be curious what type of performance that would have on 2S or 3S, probably more in line with my poor flying abilities. Might have to get a second one and try it.

Couple of photos attached.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Sep 22, 2007 at 03:54 PM.
Sep 22, 2007, 03:44 PM
BEC
BEC
Cool! Good to see it went well.
Sep 22, 2007, 03:56 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Congrats on a super maiden Brian. Nice report.
Sep 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Congrats Brian! My eyes are still bleeding from that covering scheme :-).

Any tendency to roll right on liftoff like mine did? How bout when goosing the throttle in the air?
Sep 23, 2007, 01:07 AM
War Eagle!
Looks like another great release from Bill Stevens -- can't wait to hear more flying reports.

Brian: Nice job with the build, and I'm glad the maiden flight went well!

Quick Reply