Oct 25, 2008, 03:07 PM
more balsa please!
I've almost got the front of my Shaft repaired. I forget to get any pictures before I began. I ended up cutting off the nose, just forward of the landing gear. Then I added a couple pieces of basswood to serve as rails for the new nose to attach onto. I used some light ply for the formers and the platform and then skinned it with some thin balsa. I'm sure it's heavier than the origional, so I'm guessing I"ll have to add a little weight to the tail.

Now for the bad news. I re-soldered the ESC and hooked up everything to test it. Looks like the motor is bad. It will only sputter and won't turn over. I was hoping it was okay, but after seeing that the motor mount legs were also bent, I knew it took quite a beating.

I'll post again after I get it back in the air.

Darvin
Last edited by dcloin; Oct 28, 2008 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2008, 09:25 PM
more balsa please!
The Shaft is back. I've completed the repairs and made a test flight. I think I need to add some more right thrust. I though I had built enough into the motor mount, but will try a couple of shims. Looks almost good as new, now just to get it trimmed. I have'nt weighed it yet, to see how much it gained, But I"m sure it's a little heavier. Glad I did'nt scrap it.

Darvin
Oct 29, 2008, 10:44 AM

Do you glue in the dowels for the landing gear and wing retainers?

Do you glue in the dowels for the landing gear and wing retainers? Or do you just slide them in and let friction hold them in place?
Oct 29, 2008, 10:46 AM
War Eagle!
I haven't built the Shaft, but I would CA them in place. Otherwise, they may start sliding out eventually, or friction may eventually damage the surrounding balsa (therefore eventually making the hole bigger).
Oct 29, 2008, 10:54 AM
more balsa please!
I glued the landing gear retainer, but left the front wing hold down free. I can slide it off the fuselage and shove the gear in the nose, then slide it back and hold it all in place that way.

Darvin
Jul 08, 2009, 05:01 PM
is metalic Monokotea heavier than the traditional or flat color?
Jul 08, 2009, 06:57 PM
I need a bigger Hanger!
Here's mine built by TommyB last year. Still flies great with the park 450.

Fran
Old Jul 09, 2009, 04:52 AM
ufomodel
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while ufomodel edits it.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 05:16 AM
ufomodel
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while ufomodel edits it.
Jul 09, 2009, 08:47 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
#203 and #204 reported as off topic and spam for a commercial venture.

Back on topic

I have a kit for the .25 size shaft that I need to build. I lost the battery in a tight negative G move about a year ago. Enough is enough - I need to fly the SHAFT again

Quick Reply