Oct 16, 2007, 10:43 AM
Glow Free Since Aug, 2005
Dave_ORCC... where are you? where is your Shaft?

Finish it up so that I can fly it!

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
The Canuck
I just downloaded the in-flight data for my maiden flight. How about 280 watts!
Oct 16, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
280? Sheesh, I'm happy at 150 watts. I could be happier with more

What battery are you running and whats the AUW?
Oct 16, 2007, 09:34 PM
Reality is overated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy321
Dave_ORCC... where are you? where is your Shaft?

Finish it up so that I can fly it!

Tom
Hey!! I thought this was a PG site! My girlfriend asked me the other day what I was doing......... Without thinking I replied, "sanding my shaft". I'm sure Bill is chuckling to himself.

About my Shaft...... well it's ready to cover. Just gotta work out some details of that. I should be ready to fire up the covering iron by next week.

Sev, nice work on your ballistic Shaft! I like the take-off roll. All 2 feet of it Who were your spectators?

Cheers,
Dave
Oct 17, 2007, 08:41 AM
The Canuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ORCC
Sev, nice work on your ballistic Shaft! I like the take-off roll. All 2 feet of it Who were your spectators?
Hi Dave! Long time no talk!
Yah... Got to love that take-off roll! I don't think I even have time to go to full throttle before it takes off.
The spectators are a girl i've been dating and her son. They're both very interested in rcplanes. In fact... i've been teaching her how to fly on my SA Soarstick.
Oct 17, 2007, 08:45 AM
The Canuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB
280? Sheesh, I'm happy at 150 watts. I could be happier with more

What battery are you running and whats the AUW?
I'm running a Thunder Power 3S 2100 or a Li-Power Lite 3S 2100 (both the same weight).
Unfortunately I don't have a scale so not sure about the AUW. I'll try and bring it to the post office sometime to get it weighed.
Oct 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
Bob

Thanks TommyB and Sev Fontaine... and C/G

Because of your good report, I bought a SHAFT and started building. I researched the C/G a bit and found out the original SHAFT is one of the few planes that "flew correct right off the paper". It required no tweeking to improve coupling, inverted flight, or thrust angles. Bill must really be getting the hang of this designing stuff.

The original (pictured on his web http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/prod...0&cat=0&page=1 ) had no C/G issues.
It:
- was covered almost entirely with Solite aft of the C/G (the red leading edge is Solarfilm)
- used a 2oz motor (Hacker 20-20)
- flew with an Apogee 1500-3S battery
- stored its esc in the front (nose) compartment.
With this set up, the battery was centered over the C/G... ideal since could use 1320 to 2100 mAh batteries with no problem.

Seems the key to C/G management is to cover the plane with Solite (at least aft of the C/G), and use a motor weighting at least 2oz.

Solite weighs 0.6oz per square yard. Solarfilm weights 1.7oz per square yard.
Ultracoat (at StevensAero http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/home.php?cat=466 ; same stuff as Oracoat from Hangar 9) is extremely strong and weighs more.
Monocoat which is extremely strong, weighs the most at 2.4oz per square yard.
These weights depend on the color, as well, as dark colors have more pigment and make the film heaver. A Transparent Yellow Solite will weight less than a Black or Dark Blue Solite. Clear is for the weight fanatics.

And of course, as TommyB said, can add a touch of weight to the nose if need be since the plane, at 17-19oz flying weight, is one third less than it's Mini Ultra Stick competitor.

Bob
Last edited by 4444; Oct 19, 2007 at 09:21 AM.
Oct 19, 2007, 06:34 AM
The Canuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444
Because of your good report, I bought a SHAFT and started building. I researched the C/G a bit and found out the original SHAFT is one of the few planes that "flew correct right off the paper". It required no tweeking to improve coupling, inverted flight, or thrust angles. Bill must really be getting the hang of this designing stuff.
Additionnal notes about my Ballistic Shaft. I was going to use a smaller prop for ground clearance but decided to bend the landing gear a bit to give me a taller stance (more clearance) and allow me to use the APC-E 11x5.5 I already had.

Bill also supplies 4 little shims to adjust thrust angles. He says that downthrust is built in so I left that alone but he does supply these shims to "tune" the right thrust. From what I can tell.. use only one shim per bolt on the "driver side" for a stock motor (e.g. A20-20, Park 450 etc...) to give the motor some right thrust. I personally went with two shims per bolt to give a bit of additionnal right thrust due to more power and a larger prop.
Oct 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
Bob
Hi Sev,
The maiden flight of the SHAFT used one ply shim under the left side motor mounts (to give right thrust) and this proved correct for the Hacker 20-20.
Since the down thrust was built-in, I asked why wasn't the right thrust built-in?
If I remember correctly, it was because some might use different motors, and while down thrust was pretty stable, right thrust could be affected. I mean... who would have thought of using a Hacker 30-16, even if it was a good deal at NEAT!!!
Starting at neutral and providing four shims seemed the best way to handle this. You ended up using all four shims with your 30-16. Do you hop-up your real life modes of transportation, as well?
Bob
Oct 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
The Canuck
Hi Bob,
I probably wouldn't have purchased a Hacker A30-16M for this plane but since i already had it sitting on the shelf I figured why not!

I used to hop up my cars.. but now have this new hobby of RC planes. I thought at first I would spend less money on planes. Boy.... was I ever wrong! LOL
At least it's a safer way to have fun!
Oct 21, 2007, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
I got a new video that's a litlle better.

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...2010212007.jpg

or if that doesn't work, check here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...83#post8249602

its the shaft10207 video.
Oct 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
White Mountains in NH

Maiden flight

Well the winds finally died down enough to get her out. Very responsive. I was on my thrid battery when i was trying to get fancy and drove her into the ground . I broke the wing at the sadlle. broke the fire wall andit the area where the wing sits on the front fusalage. I have some major repairs to do

It was fun while it lasted
david
Oct 22, 2007, 02:14 AM
BEC
BEC
Mine is ready for the maiden. Now we have to have daylight, opportunity and weather all come together. Perhaps next Saturday.

Did anyone else have to resort to the outer hole on the control horns AND quite a bit of dual rate to get to the recommended "start here" control throws? Since it is a review piece I do need to start there.....
Oct 22, 2007, 07:19 PM
The Canuck

Ballistic Shaft Ailerons Revisited

On the last flight of my ballistic SHAFT I experienced aileron flutter which ended up ripping out both aileron control horns. Luckily I was able to land safely so here come the repairs!!!

Here is the list of things I did to prevent this from happening in the future.

- fill in between the aileron framing with balsa sheet to end up with a solid aileron
- cut the tips of the ailerons at an angle to hopefully prevent flutter
- upgrade the aileron servos from HS-55s to HS-81MGs
- upgrade the aileron control horns to bolt on style with backplate
- upgrade the aileron push-rods to a larger size music wire (stiffer and stronger)

I'll give a flight report as soon as I get a chance to try it out!
Oct 23, 2007, 03:13 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Oh my! You really did use an A30-16M! For some reason I thought it was an A30-28S. Wow ballistic should be an understatement

-Bill

Quick Reply