Sep 16, 2007, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Steven's Aeromodel Shaft

Ok Steven's fans, here it is. This is a preproduction kit without manual, but does include informative build pics. With a little extra care, I was able to complete the frame up without a problem. If you have built a few Steven's kits this should be no problem for you.

There's really nothing here I'd consider a pitfall, even without the detailed instructions. Just look at the picks, and follow the ample build notes on the plan.

Watch how you use the carbon stock, as you could short yourself if you are not careful.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Should be moving on to covering tomorrow evening

By the way, note that pull-pull is opitonal on the rudder and elevator, but I'm not seeing the benefit unless there are balance issues.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2007, 08:03 PM
Oh yeah
Sep 16, 2007, 08:09 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Wow, and you just got this kit this weekend? Anyone who claims that they have "no time to build" needs to see this thread.

Keep the pics coming. Steve
Sep 16, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, I drove up yesterday morning. Left a 6:30 p, last night, got lost for an hour and got home at 10:30 p. Got up at 6a this morning, got an hour or so in, had some obligations, and spent a few hours this afternoon. I think I mentioned somewhere that I was excited about this one. Heck, I moved it up ahead of the g-ride that bought this summer.

I'll try and keep after it, but the weekends over so it might be tough. Going to Dallas on Friday for a bit, so if its humanly possible, I'll try and get a flight report before then, but I doubt it.

I did get it sanded, so I'm ready to cover. Gonna do something simple, gotta give it some thought.
Sep 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
ooops
Nice
Sep 17, 2007, 05:43 AM
Yes
Waitingn for that email from Steven's.
Sep 17, 2007, 11:07 AM
God is my pilot
Thanks TommyB
Sep 17, 2007, 11:33 AM
I should have built mine, but my daughter confiscated her camera so I can't do a photo thread.

I'm pretty excited about the shaft, it looks like a good suitcase plane. There have been a number of times that I wished I could take a plane with me, but packing would have been too much of a problem. Makes a lot of sense to take off the horizontal stab.

Let's just say that a SA Stella doesn't travel too well.
Sep 17, 2007, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Good point Unterhausen, regarding the portability. Nice to not have to mod it to make that happen.

Going to start covering shortly, got my design all sketched up. Incidentally, I like the fact that Bill provides a b/w drawing of the model for this purpose. I'm going relatively simple, but its got some flair :-).

I'll put up a few shots of the covering tonight. For those of you that don't build these kits because of the covering, its pretty simple to do a passable job. After a couple of models, you get better. I posted pics of the dystraction I did a few weeks ago for my son if you care to see what my 3rd plane looks like.

I'm going to do a steerable tailwheel ala the cap 232 300 I built. Its a pretty simple way to do a great tail wheel, but it will have to wait until after covering....

Stay tuned!
Sep 17, 2007, 08:53 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Tommy

I and my flying buddy Ron each picked up a Shaft from Bill at the NEAT Fair. I started working on it last night and after about 3 hours of work I have the fuselage and tail feathers framed. Was hoping to work on it some more tonight but it was back to school night so I had to go back to school!!

Should be able to get started on the wing tomorrow.

Nice kit as one expects from Stevens Aeromodel. Looking forward to getting it completed and in the air, this weekend if I am lucky!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 17, 2007, 09:33 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
c hecking in - i like it!
Sep 17, 2007, 11:13 PM
the lack of instructions makes me wonder if he's going to release it on his web site anytime soon. Hope so, but he probably should have a warning about the instructions. I'm not done with the wing, but I think I might make fewer mistakes this way
Sep 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Well I managed to get the wing framed up this afternoon. Typical Stevens Aero construction, you can assemble it in your hand just about completely without any glue. Ah do we love laser cut parts and interlocking construction or what

Hopefully I will be able to get the ailerons completed tonight and some sanding done (ugh, hate sanding). With any luck I might be able to have it completed by this weekend.

Have about 5 hours of build time in it so far and I am a slow builder. I purchased the Hacker for it at the NEAT Fair so now I need to rustle up a few HS-55's.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 18, 2007, 07:57 PM
top flange of the wing spar seemed a little short, I musta messed up something. Looks ok though
Sep 18, 2007, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
Got some covering pics. I've not noticed anything being short, and I had minimal glue in the wing prior to weighting it down and final gluing. Its dead nut straight!

My only complaint would be that some of the parts weren't burned the whole way through, very minor, but I haven't had to trim any parts in 6 Steven's kits.

Should get the wing covered tonight. Debating on some pre-wiring for led's

I had a revelation as I was covering the fuse. Flames!!! Never had the inclination to add these befor, but thing I'm going to put some red/yellow flames on then front end!!!

Quick Reply