Canadian hotbed ? - RC Groups
Nov 27, 2002, 01:43 AM

Canadian hotbed Images.....

Although I have not been here to see what is going on these days, I do know the guys that fly here, and you can be assured they will give a good account of themselves as the info starts to come forth from what they are doing in this gym in Markham Districk High School on Friday night....I have seen some of what is possible and they have some knowledgeable regulars here who intend to make things fly as slowly as possible.
This Slowflier belongs to Jack McGillivray.
Last edited by Rifleman; Nov 30, 2002 at 10:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2002, 02:03 AM
Another of Jacks slow flying lightweight planes....has a pulse throttle and rudder, modified from a miniature r/c car and utilizes actuators which are of the magnet in ring type.......walking pace flight. Memory fails me, I think its a Renard R-3 ?
Last edited by Rifleman; Nov 29, 2002 at 12:27 AM.
Nov 27, 2002, 08:30 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Yes,
These are the guys who fly with Tom McCann of Sky Hooks and Rigging. Tom McGilivery (sp?) is a noted FF guy, just to name one. Usually we don't see much of what they are doing until Tom McCann writes it up in RCMF or Backyard Flyer. I for one would love to see more of what they are doing.

Gordon
Nov 27, 2002, 10:24 AM
Will try to get you some more of my images after work today, but it will be late, as I am now on the west coast...I do however, have a few of the guys from when I was leaving last year.
Jack, Roy, Ken, Tom, Bob, myself....... most of the regulars.

One quick one here......thats me on the right.
Last edited by Rifleman; Nov 29, 2002 at 12:28 AM.
Nov 27, 2002, 05:35 PM
What is Jack doing in Vancouver, anyhow?

Paul
Nov 27, 2002, 09:24 PM
Paul.....how and why would you surmise that Jack is in Vancouver? This is Ken Wiberg(author) (as noted previously, on the right) and I now live on Vancouver Island........far different from Vancouver.
This is Jack in his environment with one of his creations....I was even lucky enough to be entrusted to take it for a spin round the gym.........Thanks Jack !
Last edited by Rifleman; Mar 29, 2003 at 11:43 PM.
Nov 28, 2002, 09:55 AM
Hey Rifleman,

I use to fly indoor with Ken Coleman & Ken Wiberg at the Barrie North Collegiate High school gym some years back. Those two guys were amazing with those no-cals and peanut scale... I had a hard time getting any of my stuff go around more than once around the gym....did Ken Coleman ever get his indoor bird to fly....It is a small world after all....
Nov 28, 2002, 10:38 AM
Hey Don,......hows it goin ?..........will be posting more shots on here soon.....as for Ken Coleman, you should see what he's into now..... I'll show some of that stuff too.....in the mean time, take a look here ....this was shot in the golf dome on the QEW at Burlington
This was my Herr Engineering Birdog .....Flew ok,... considering I never replaced any wood and it came out pretty heavy.
Last edited by Rifleman; Nov 29, 2002 at 12:31 AM.
Nov 28, 2002, 09:52 PM
Did you really think it was too heavy to fly ?
Nov 28, 2002, 09:54 PM
Tom McCann(SkyHooks and Rigging) and Ken Wiberg, in the golf dome at Burlington, near Toronto.
Nov 28, 2002, 09:58 PM
Phil Anderson (Avilus Micro Aviation) with his Damselfly, prior to the initial flight test by, yours truly.........
Last edited by Rifleman; Nov 29, 2002 at 12:32 AM.
Nov 28, 2002, 10:01 PM
And on the roll, .....it proved beyond a doubt, that although small, it presented no trouble at all to venture all around the gym, in full control, and without excessive speed.....Bob Arthurs (Richmond Hill R/C) looks on.........
Last edited by Rifleman; Nov 22, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Nov 28, 2002, 10:03 PM
The Damselfly,....up close, and personal......
Nov 28, 2002, 10:09 PM
Preparing Sams Delta Star for its initial sortie in the gym.........also on hand from the left, Barry Fletcher, Roy Bourke, Tom McCann, myself(Ken Wiberg holding radio), and Ken Coleman, (looking quite scholarly while perusing another set of plans ?)
Last edited by Rifleman; Mar 17, 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Nov 28, 2002, 10:10 PM
By the way, Jacks Renard flies quite slowly, as can be remembered from Toledo indoor in 2001