Sep 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Bamm's quick VTO "free plans!"

here is something I designed quickly for our club indoor combat. I'm gonna use a GWS IPS on mine. but I left it all open for what ever your setup will be.

Note: I tried saving a tiled version but can't seem to save it as tiled. TurboCad let's me tile it but won't save it tiled.

specs.
WS 22"
length 16"

optional counter balances

EDIT: NEWER VERSION OF THE PLANS ON POST #7
Last edited by bamm; Sep 12, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
That looks like fun. Is the motor going to be front mounted, in a tractor configuration?
Sep 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
tractor? I don't know. but yes the motor should be front mounted. I will be using a stick mount because I am gonna be using a GWS IPS drive
Sep 12, 2007, 12:14 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Looks very like a mini jar/vto. just search the forums and you will find plans very similar to this posted 2 years or more back.
Good luck with your plane. But remember some of us have long memorys when it comes to who designed what
Sep 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Looks very like a mini jar/vto. just search the forums and you will find plans very similar to this posted 2 years or more back.
Good luck with your plane. But remember some of us have long memorys when it comes to who designed what

well I based mine off of Levi's VTO design. I went to go use the plans that once was on 3Dfoamy.com but now they just have the manuels..

this type of VTO is such a simple design it's........ simple! I'm not trying to copy any one elses but since the design is so simple and flies so well I just made my design 22" x 16" and designed my fuse different from the others

but no I did not know of that one untill you showed it to me
Last edited by bamm; Sep 12, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
Sep 12, 2007, 12:40 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
No problem Bamm, I suspect that steve was the original designer, I remember that levi made kits of it.
I have levi rehash of the plan I can,t remember if he credits Steve.
Steve makes great parkjets..... see the pusher/Edf forum.
You may be a straight up guy, but lots of designs have been kitted or redone by others for glory or profit.
So some of us just like to remind anybody who posts something similar to someboy else's work just to acknowledge it.
Sep 12, 2007, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=dekan]No problem Bamm, I suspect that steve was the original designer, I remember that levi made kits of it.
I have levi rehash of the plan I can,t remember if he credits Steve.
Steve makes great parkjets..... see the pusher/Edf forum.
You may be a straight up guy, but lots of designs have been kitted or redone by others for glory or profit.
So some of us just like to remind anybody who posts something similar to someboy else's work just to acknowledge it.[/QUOT

of course. I'm not here to profit any thing or take the credit, I just wanted to share my version

infact, I just redid my version a little bit. here is the newer version.

editted the width of the wing and the length of the fuse and re-designed the fuse a bit to.

New specs:
WS 22"
Length 18 1/2"
newer version below
Sep 14, 2007, 02:07 PM
Alright, I am having some real trouble figuring out what your measurements were. I printed the images and then scanned them.

I increased the size to 20.69 inches in length (including ailerons) but the wings are way to wide, they are 29.23 inches wide. Are the images correct size or only the PDF files?
Sep 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal
Alright, I am having some real trouble figuring out what your measurements were. I printed the images and then scanned them.

I increased the size to 20.69 inches in length (including ailerons) but the wings are way to wide, they are 29.23 inches wide. Are the images correct size or only the PDF files?

Only the PDF files should be correct size. I'm not sure about the images.

try increasing the image with the Wing to 16" in length and maybe the width should be correct.

the fuse length is 18 1/2"

although this plane should fly fine at any size, another reason why I left it all open and no cut slots or a certain size foam only.
Sep 14, 2007, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
hold off on the fuse. I just printed it and it seems to be to small. like in size. lemme assemble these tiled prints and I'll fix any errors.
Sep 17, 2007, 01:03 AM
wow..looks great. thx. Where is the CG balance point?
Sep 17, 2007, 11:50 PM
Dinner, I would refer to the plans posted by Dekan for approx CG. But it may need a CG that is further back for hovering cause I could not get mine to hover very well at all.

I tried this plane out, it was kind of difficult for me to fly, but I also don't have any wing reinforcements and am using a 620 mah 3s which may be a bit too heavy. Definitely listen to Bamm's advice on the elevator adjustment. I did that and reduced throws on ailerons/elevator to ~65%. It will spin quite well, kind of fun twirling all over the place.
Sep 30, 2007, 03:37 PM
What's the target build weight?

Quick Reply