Jan 19, 2009, 09:02 PM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP
I had the SB Sr. back down to Flaming Geyser flying field this past Saturday. No problem shooting touch and goes on their moderately thick grass and certainly very comfortable from a flying space point of view. It also just felt so extra light that day - probably because it was only a couple of degrees above freezing and there was a temperature inversion going....so nice dense (though kinda dirty) air.

Good fun.

You can see me with the big SB in the background of this picture , apparently taken before I had the three airplanes I had with me ready to fly.
Last edited by BEC; Jan 21, 2009 at 02:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2009, 09:17 AM
gram obsessive
BEC,

Superb review.

I love reading a well written review by a writer I know I can trust!!

Thank you for your thoroughness and attention to detail. Your years of experience in the hobby and your years flying MM designs make this review more appealing and useful.

Barbara's pictures are great, she's a nice addition to the team.

You do all of us a great service. Thank you.

T.B.
Jan 06, 2013, 04:15 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Stumbled across this review. Very nicely done.

The SB Sr. sure is a sweet plane. It still amazes me why more people don't fly them.

Frank
Jan 06, 2013, 04:49 PM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP
Thanks, Frank.

It IS a sweet plane....
Jan 06, 2013, 05:29 PM
Great review, BEC. No doubt it's a sweet plane, it's a Mountain Models kit, after all. The detailed drive system info and the data logging plots are a nice addition.

I love my (smaller) Switchback, and concur that every RC pilot should experience flying one. Probably will pass on the larger one, though -- I suspect the flying experience is very similar to the SIG Four Star 20e that I built a couple years back.

I once logged my small Switchback at 17 watts -- 26 minutes on 2S/1000. All the more impressive that its big brother can fly on just a touch more.
Jan 09, 2013, 07:36 PM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b
Great review, BEC. No doubt it's a sweet plane, it's a Mountain Models kit, after all. The detailed drive system info and the data logging plots are a nice addition.

I love my (smaller) Switchback, and concur that every RC pilot should experience flying one. Probably will pass on the larger one, though -- I suspect the flying experience is very similar to the SIG Four Star 20e that I built a couple years back.

I once logged my small Switchback at 17 watts -- 26 minutes on 2S/1000. All the more impressive that its big brother can fly on just a touch more.
Thanks. The Senior quite a bit bigger than Sig Four Star 20 at about the same weight, so it would be quite a bit more "floaty".
Jan 11, 2013, 01:33 AM
I really do think though this plane and its little brother is one of RC's biggest secrets. Only a handful of us truly know how wonderful these planes fly and what a joy they are to build. (Which is my favorite part)

Frank
Jan 11, 2013, 08:33 AM
God is my pilot
Truely agreed!
Jan 13, 2013, 01:12 PM
It certainly is odd. I wonder if its because a person has to build this plane vice having it being sold as an ARF or RTF?

Frank
Jan 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
I know some people do look at building as a chore. And refer to having to build a model. Instead of saying they get to build it.
I guess those who have been in the hobby a long time appreciate what a pleasure a well designed ,engineered and produced kit can be to build.

Compared to the old days of die crushed ambroid glued and silk and doped models.... Well modern kits are a pleasure and a breeze!
Jan 15, 2013, 01:30 PM
It certainly is a shame that so many folks are missing out on these great flying airplanes. I have yest to see any ARF or RTF that flies as well as a Stevens Aero or Mountain Models airplanes. Too bad those guys have to settle for what they are flying.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in these planes if someone would build them for them?

Frank
Feb 15, 2014, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
It certainly is a shame that so many folks are missing out on these great flying airplanes. I have yest to see any ARF or RTF that flies as well as a Stevens Aero or Mountain Models airplanes. Too bad those guys have to settle for what they are flying.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in these planes if someone would build them for them?
I guess that's basically what I did recently when I bought a beautiful Mountain Models Switchback Senior at a local RC model show swap meet. The seller built the model and I bought it from him RTF. Of course, the only reason I got such a good deal on it ($60!) was because he'd moved on to something "better" long ago and had forgotten all the work he'd put into the hardly-used Senior. Besides it was taking up too much space. I'm not keen on building (I'd rather be flying) so this was a great way for me to get a great-flying kit-built airplane (works perfect, flies great) without getting any glue on me. Even better, it gives me the option of lying about building it to impress strangers if I feel like it.

Tom
Feb 16, 2014, 12:18 AM
WOW! What an awesome deal. Good for you and I hope you enjoy the SB Sr. I know really enjoyed mine and I miss it.

Frank

Quick Reply