Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 10, 2007, 03:07 PM
Build Log

Grumman Albatross From Ivan's Plans

Ok here we go, framed out the sides. Next, installed crossmembers temp, everything has to be squared up now before glueing. I'll be installing some shoring to get it all square. I have put rubber bands around the fuse to hold it all together.
I'll be modeling it based on the Red Bull Albatross paint scheme.
Last edited by CaptAhab; Mar 19, 2009 at 03:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2007, 04:04 PM
Nice keep at it.
Sep 11, 2007, 10:44 PM
Nice to see another one of Ivans planes being built. Its also nice to see one that isn't a Sealand or Solent.

Colin
Sep 12, 2007, 03:03 AM
Student of Ivan
Captain - Glad to see your thread. Looks like your off to a good start. Interesting choice of schemes, definitely unique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo007
Nice to see another one of Ivans planes being built. Its also nice to see one that isn't a Sealand or Solent.

Colin
Sorry if we were boring you Colin...

John
Sep 12, 2007, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
Captain - Glad to see your thread. Looks like your off to a good start. Interesting choice of schemes, definitely unique!

Sorry if we were boring you Colin...

John

LOL

Yup I am totally bord. No its just Ivan has has bunch of other great designs and its nice to see other ones being built.

Colin
Sep 13, 2007, 01:31 AM
Well it's all nice and square, crossmembers got glued in place, and installed the front formers with sheeting. Next I'll install the cockpit windshield area.
Luke has done a fine job with the Ivan Plans posts. He's also getting pretty knowledgeable with these planes and hardware too ! Congrats Luke.
Mountainman you too bro. And thanks for the help guys !
Sep 15, 2007, 02:00 AM
Removed the fuse from the jig today and added the lower sheeting and some of the canopy area. I'm going to wait on the wing hold down dowl assy on the fuse till after the wing is finished to get a better fit of those parts. Will start the aft keel section next.
Last edited by CaptAhab; Sep 15, 2007 at 02:15 AM.
Sep 15, 2007, 11:28 AM
How effective is the water rudder on this plane ? I'm wondering if the weight savings is worth not having it.
Sep 15, 2007, 02:47 PM
Got the aft keel framed up, now I need to do some sanding on the fuse. Thats it for today, time to go make a livin....
Sep 17, 2007, 04:24 AM
Got the fuse sanded down alot and installed the sheeting on the lower keel, I'll install the vertical pieces next.
Last edited by CaptAhab; Sep 18, 2007 at 03:01 PM.
Sep 17, 2007, 09:20 AM
Two left thumbs
I'm interested! You've inspired me to email Ivan and ask what the Albatross plans cost, so keep it up!

Gotta get through the next friendly building competition before building an Albatross, however. I'm gonna do this: http://www.seawings.co.uk/dol3.htm It's smaller than an Albatross, but designing the plans is taking quite a bit of time.
Sep 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
Wait...Say again?
CaptAhab,

Trust me, you're not playing to an empty house. I love reading build threads, even if I don't have anything to contribute.

And I love Grumman's Albatross. I grew up in San Diego where the Coast Guard flew them from the base across the street from Lindbergh Field. They had a ramp that lead into San Diego bay so they could taxi them into and out of the water. I never actually saw that happen. But I did see them land on their wheels at Lindbergh and then stop traffic when they taxied across the street to the USCG base.

I hope you'll keep posting. I'm looking forward to watching. And thanks for taking the time to document the build.

Joe
Sep 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
Keep going - by all means! Having 100-or-so hits a day should be proof enough you have us glued to your thread

Thomas
Sep 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
Geoffinpdx- Hey thnx for the post, I'm pretty sure thats an early Grumman, fixing the motors on pylons should be intresting. I've always wanted to draw my own model but never learned how. When this planes finished I intend to do some learning about scaling and I'd like to draw my own Goose at about 100". Have you bought the Platt videos to learn to draw ? I guess thats what I'll have to do.

N74463-Thanks for the post, must have been nice growing up in a scenic area, I grew up in Houston, Tx. Not alot to see here except flat land and alot of pine trees, and your occasional hurricane, been through a few of em, the last big one here I was sitting in my living room watching 80 mph winds and wondering whose shingles were flying through the air, yep, those were mine, new roof came curtousy of Allstate insurance. I did get to go in the control tower as a kid quit often and watch the Delta Darts and Flying Boxcars takeoff and land at Ellington AFB.

thomanie- thanks for watching bro ! Norway, wow, I'm impressed ! I bet it's beautiful there. Vikings flying model planes..... theres a thought !

I'll keep it going and have some video when it's done, check this out,
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1155576/M/
Last edited by CaptAhab; Sep 17, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
Sep 17, 2007, 09:06 PM
Bring a shovel
Heh, Trondheim isn't far from the family farm just north of the airport at Stjordal..
Plenty of water there for seaplanes.
The build seems to be going together quite well.

Quick Reply