Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
This thread is privately moderated by chara, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by chara
registered foam addict
Gallery

Concept studies

No time for building or flying recently for me, so what does a foam junky do in that case? ... spending his spare minutes designing the next projects.

...so here we go with some concept studies...
1.) The "V-ger" (inspired by Rutan's Voyager)

...click on "comments" to see the next
Last edited by chara; Dec 03, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2007, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by chara
registered foam addict
2) TBC II .kind of "Twin Boom Cutie" cartoonish racer mixed with the Grumman Skyrocket . twin motors is going to be bit more complex than my other projects.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by chara
registered foam addict
...maybe a pylon racer like wing for the V-ger?....
Old Dec 06, 2007, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by StarmanDXE
Advanced Learner
A front elevator, eh? Looks cool! Any idea if it works as well?
Old Dec 07, 2007, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by chara
registered foam addict
...I'm sure it will. I have build some "canards" before and it works great and looks cool when in the air
Old Dec 08, 2007, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by Esprit440
Supersonic hover
Chara, these are really nice! Great lines and proportions. I think the "Twin Boom Cutie" is my favorite but that canard is pretty slick too. Hope you build 'em soon.

-Matt
Old Dec 08, 2007, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by JTM3
Cool designs.

What program did you make this in?
Old Dec 08, 2007, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by chara
registered foam addict
Thanks buddies, I'm glad you like them. I'm still designing and calculating because they need a bit more fine tuning (or perhaps because "designing" is the most fun part of our hobby for me? ) Will have lots of time during winter time to build them and will post updates as soon as I have something more to show.

JTM3 I'm using Rhino3D for all of my 3d stuff. nice program. there is a free trial version of it on the www. you can get the student license which has a lower price tag than the "pro" version.

cheers
chara
Old Dec 08, 2007, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by JTM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Thanks buddies, I'm glad you like them. I'm still designing and calculating because they need a bit more fine tuning (or perhaps because "designing" is the most fun part of our hobby for me? ) Will have lots of time during winter time to build them and will post updates as soon as I have something more to show.

JTM3 I'm using Rhino3D for all of my 3d stuff. nice program. there is a free trial version of it on the www. you can get the student license which has a lower price tag than the "pro" version.

cheers
chara
So if I wanted to design my own planes would you recommend Rhino over say, a CAD program?
Old Dec 09, 2007, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by chara
registered foam addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM3
So if I wanted to design my own planes would you recommend Rhino over say, a CAD program?
well, I would recommend to use what you've got, since these programs aren't cheap at all! Theoretically a simple 2D vector graphics program will be all you need to design your own planes and make templates. If you're using Linux they won't even cost you a dime.

If you want fancy 3D and you are willing to spend some $, then Rhino is OK. 3d-Studio-MAX is a much more powerful alternative but it also costs more I think.
In any case, get yourself a trial version before you buy, and check out if you find it worth to invest the $$$!

cheers,
chara
Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by totalywicked
Insert comment here:
You can get a trial for 3ds max for free as well.. also I believe they are offering a student version… GMax (I think that’s what its called) is pretty powerful but it doesn’t have super cool render features, think of it a 3ds max light it mostly designed for game mod…

Give a try to Google sketch up its free and good.

Chara I am waiting on your next jet like plane….
Harpy-Cat 2.0 maybe????
Old May 25, 2009, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Well it's been way overdue.
Starting a V-ger 1. I like the line better fits in more with the twin booms I think.

I'll start a thread when I make some progress.

-edit: Just dropped it in AutoCad and took some initial measurements.
Probably more suited to a thermal glider.

For a 6.5chord the WS as drawn is 47" (:
Last edited by fr4nk1yn; May 25, 2009 at 02:32 PM.