Sep 08, 2007, 01:35 PM
Back in the game.
Thread OP
Question

GWS P-38 or Guillows P-38?

Hello Everyone, I was wondering for a winter project which plane would be better? A GWS P-38J (converted to an F model), or a Guillows P-38L(converted to an F model also). Each would have rudder, elevator, aileron, throttle, flaps, and retracts. which of the two has better handling and crash surviveablity. both would have outrunners and 3 blade props. i have two GWS planes built(RC of course) and one Guillows (Free Flight). Ive heard that the Guillows planes tend to be a bit toutchy. either way i would have to rebuild the area under the spinners. thanks YB
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Sep 08, 2007 at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2007, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron
Hello Everyone, I was wondering for a winter project which plane would be better? A GWS P-38J (converted to an F model), or a Guillows P-38L(converted to an F model also). Each would have rudder, elevator, aileron, throttle, flaps, and retracts. which of the two has better handling and crash surviveablity. both would have outrunners and 3 blade props. i have two GWS planes built(RC of course) and one Guillows (Free Flight). Ive heard that the Guillows planes tend to be a bit toutchy. either way i would have to rebuild the area under the spinners. thanks YB
If it is "crash surviveablity" you are looking for then there is no comparison. GWS wins hands down. I suppose GWS also wins in the handling contest.

I wonder why you choose these two to compare, though. The GWS P-38 is foam plane and much larger in size. The Guillows one is traditional balsa sticks construction and much smaller in size. Not really in the same league.

I don't know why you prefer "F" model. If you want specifically "F" model I think Dumas offers the only one
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLSS4&P=0
Sep 09, 2007, 07:24 AM
Back in the game.
Thread OP
I like the F model because of the cowlings it looks a little more sleek and theyre not modeled much.
Sep 09, 2007, 07:26 AM
Back in the game.
Thread OP
I want to comare because they are different but still the same model. I like the Guillows begause its very scale and has all the little parts for that, and its smaller.

The GWS is easy to build and to fly but is not as scale and would need alot of work to get it even remotely scale.
Sep 09, 2007, 05:25 PM
Wandering IT geek
The E-Flite P-38 might be a nice compromise between scale details and durability. Wouldn't make much of a winter project though as it can be assembled in about 2 hours if you build quickly
Sep 09, 2007, 05:31 PM
Why not consider the FSK P-38. Its going to be the most scale of any of the electric size versions. With some work, it could be outfitted with retracts and working rudders can be done. They also fly well, but are less durable then the GWS or E-flite. I'd say MORE durable then a stick and tissue Guillows though.
Sep 09, 2007, 05:51 PM
Back in the game.
Thread OP
I would go E-flite of FSK but I dont have the money.
Sep 09, 2007, 06:20 PM
Neophyte hacker
How about the Laser Arts/Mountain Models version?

Guillows model will work, but, it fly like a rocket unless you do a lot to keep weight down. If you're going full house it will weigh a lot.

Hacking the GWS version would probably be easier, if you have some practice working with foam. It also comes with two nice motors.

The LA model would probably be my bet to fly the best after hacking.

charlie
Sep 09, 2007, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron
I would go E-flite of FSK but I dont have the money.
GO with the GWS then. It can handle weight a lot easier then the Guillows. I have a GWS P-38 and it flies pretty well, even on underpowered motors(aka e-flite 370 outrunners spinning 9x7x3 MAS props).
Mine weighs a hefty 38oz with 1 x 2100 TP 3s prolite battery and it easily handles wind and lands nice and easy without flaps. Adding flaps would make it land like a slow biplane
Sep 13, 2007, 04:22 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Gerald did a beautiful conversion of the Guillows' P-38 a few years back. If you look him up under "Members" and search his threads you should be able to find it. If I remember correctly his ended up quite heavy and crashed on its maiden flight...nice plane though.

If you want a balsa build, I second portableVCB's suggestion of the Molt Models/Mountain Models P-38. It's designed from the outset for electric R/C using two IPS units, although lots of guys have put small outrunners in them with great success. It's about 38" in span, so it fits your "small" criteria. If you do a search in the Parkflyers forum, there are three threads with over a thousand posts each on the MM P-38, (the threads are called something like "Molt Models P-38 thread Parts 1,2 and 3") with lots of builds, ideas and different approaches. If those threads don't turn your crank, then I'd say go for the GWS!

Steve

Quick Reply