Jun 04, 2008, 09:23 PM
timochris did some rewinds on that motor too as well as the larger 2812. 12t of 23awg was one of the best. That's the wind I'm going to try and copy. That last turn isn't going to be easy with my winding skills.

I ran into a small problem, two really, One is Chara's PDFs use a metric sizing (:
so they don't exactly print on 8.5x11 paper.
Next is getting the fuselage shape just right, I'm sure there';s a trick to it but I haven't gotten it yet. I don't want to glue the formers to the wing until I know they'll be in the right spot.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2008, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryQ
Next is getting the fuselage shape just right, I'm sure there';s a trick to it but I haven't gotten it yet. I don't want to glue the formers to the wing until I know they'll be in the right spot.
i'll second that. i have had trouble making the fuses like this look like chara's. maybe the man himself could walk us through his method for making them look just right?
Jun 04, 2008, 09:58 PM
miseryq, i could trace the plan up in CAD and post a full size plan or some parts on various standard paper sizes (11x17 or 8.5x11). let me know what wingspan you want and i can try and do it at work tomorrow.
Jun 04, 2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks, I already traced up some of the plans and posted them. I just forgot that Chara's fuselage templates weren't going to print 100% correct on my paper so I didn't draw them up too.
Jun 05, 2008, 12:14 AM
Nanaimo BC Canada
'as long as I keep it under a 13oz I should still end up with a rocket....'
I have to see this
Yes its Gary and this is getting very fun, I have a few 800 3 cells for you to try on monday ha ha.
Jun 05, 2008, 01:51 AM
Slopeosapien
MiseryQ: I just measured out the width of my motor mount at the trailing edge of the wing, ran the fuselage sides over the edge of my kitchen counter to give it some curve, and just eyeballed it... Started at the nose and then tacked the end of the fuse to get it aligned... I did sand the edges after I got the curve close to make it seat better, but it came out close enough for me...

Rotatto: Glad you found the thread... I've got a bunch of 800mAh 3 cells, so I'll briing a couple and see if I get brave enough to go that fast.
I've tested this motor on 3 cells with a APC 4.1x4.1, and ended up at about 95 watts... which would be absolutely ridiculous on a 6.5 ounce plane (202.6 watts per pound)... I could to switch up to a bigger esc, but if I kept it to 7.5 ounces, and ran a APC 4.5x4.1 (108 watts... INSANE!!! ) that would work out to be 230.4 watts per pound... I'll try it, but that's a pretty scary figure on an 18 inch span airplane... At least it scares me... Of course, I'll try it once, I can always build another quick enough...
Jun 05, 2008, 01:57 AM
Chara or anyone would this plane be ok to build with 10mm EPP?

Rudes
Jun 05, 2008, 04:19 AM
Jones, Chara,
can you guys please show the innards of your fuselage .. I want to see how you actually fix the battery in its place? Is it a snug fit in the fuselage or do you use velcro to fix it where it should be! Iam making another foamie and my main problem there too is how to make sure battery sits tightly where its supposed to.

cheers
koushik
Jun 05, 2008, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesymj
I've got a bunch of 800mAh 3 cells, so I'll briing a couple and see if I get brave enough to go that fast.
I've tested this motor on 3 cells with a APC 4.1x4.1, and ended up at about 95 watts... which would be absolutely ridiculous on a 6.5 ounce plane (202.6 watts per pound)... I could to switch up to a bigger esc, but if I kept it to 7.5 ounces, and ran a APC 4.5x4.1 (108 watts... INSANE!!! ) that would work out to be 230.4 watts per pound... I'll try it, but that's a pretty scary figure on an 18 inch span airplane... At least it scares me... Of course, I'll try it once, I can always build another quick enough...
i have several 800 3S batts sitting around that i haven't had use for in a while. and i love to go fast. what motor are you referencing here?
Jun 05, 2008, 03:04 PM
registered foam addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudes
Chara or anyone would this plane be ok to build with 10mm EPP?

Rudes
10mm is pretty thick
I undestand that epp is heavier and also softer than Depron.
So it would be advisable to go with the 130% or better 160% version and provide for proper stiffening with CF e.g.... So the larger version should work I think.
cheers
chara
Jun 05, 2008, 03:09 PM
registered foam addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool_ksk
Jones, Chara,
can you guys please show the innards of your fuselage .. I want to see how you actually fix the battery in its place? Is it a snug fit in the fuselage or do you use velcro to fix it where it should be! Iam making another foamie and my main problem there too is how to make sure battery sits tightly where its supposed to.

cheers
koushik
koushik,
no magic used on this one. the battery fits pretty well already and I just secure it with a strip of duct-tape (man, this stuff is sticky!). velcro never worked for me that well, always fell off...
-chara
Jun 05, 2008, 03:25 PM
registered foam addict
Q, kev,
jones already answered your question. Just take a look at the picture on the first page.
There you will see the lines that I have drawn with a ball pen on the wing.
First I have fixed the side walls to the nose with some tape. then aligned them symmetrically according to the motor mount (eyeball or measure with ruler). they take the necessary curvature by themselves. draw the outlines on the wing. take everythig off. draw the inner, parallel lines, 6mm away (depending on your sheet thickness). glue some stick pieces (formers) to that line to have something where the side walls can be glued upon. make sure the side walls are angled a bit (sanding the base helps). alternatively you can of course make yourself a trapezoid fome former (the classical way).
cheers
chara
Jun 05, 2008, 04:09 PM
Slopeosapien
@ everyone: I''l try to get a picture up of the inside of my fuse tonight for you guys... I didn't even use the balsa pieces inside the fuse, I just eye-balled it and butt joined it with hot glue. Seems strong enough so far, but I've only got about 20 minutes in the air with this one so far, so it may not hold up well in a crash without them... Better to follow the designer's recommendations than my "cut-corners" method...

Chara: I'm kinda taking over your thread here... Sorry about that!! My enthusiasm spills over sometimes...
Jun 05, 2008, 04:36 PM
registered foam addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesymj
Chara: I'm kinda taking over your thread here... Sorry about that!! My enthusiasm spills over sometimes...
hey man, what's this supposed to mean? please keep on contributing your valuable input! In deed I'm feeling really honored if people like my designs.
cheers
chara
Jun 05, 2008, 04:48 PM
Insert comment here:
Well I have stumbled on this one today and Chara you made another winner.
I am working on my p-51 and f-18 once I am done with them this is my next project.

Unless you going to come out with another forward swept wind design…

I think I am going to try and mod this one to run on 2-cell not as much power but it seem like really light bird…

Quick Reply