Sep 07, 2007, 05:02 PM
Glitch
I'm gonna build one this weekend. Very nice design, great work chara! Whats your specs? Battery size, AUW, prop size and so on. Thanks man, we're lovin' it
Steve
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2007, 05:23 PM
RIP - Caster Of Pods
Thanks for the plans - this one is now on my build list.

Too COOL!!
Sep 07, 2007, 05:39 PM
Look outside the Square
Thanks Chara for the plans. Great sound of that prop on that fly by . Ha ha
Wish i had a prop like that !!!!!!! . Once again a fantastic design

Regards Box
Sep 07, 2007, 05:56 PM
registered foam addict
Thank you guys!
If anyone needs more details or instructions, let me know...

Stephen, the specs are:

weight: 175g
size: around 50x60 cm (see plans for accurate measures)
I use a CDR motor that is good for 60Watt (11v x 5-6A). Battery: 3s 600mAh.
the prop is a GWS slow fly 6x5 that I have clipped down to around 5.5".

It is rather small and sufficiently fast I'd say. You can always blow the dimensions up a bit if you want to decrease wing loading (currently around 25g/dm^2).
however I believe that with a higher wing loading and a stronger motor it will fly more "scale like" (more solid high AoA handling).

cheers
chara
Sep 07, 2007, 08:35 PM
You deserve my opinion
Chara, Great work--as always! Love your stuff! Pat
Sep 09, 2007, 02:11 PM
registered foam addict

Flight report

I flew her today for the second time. And these are my impressions.
speed is pretty good despite of the relatively low Wattage of the power system.
small size and clean exterior seem to pay of in that regard. also glide performance profits a bit from the drag minimization attempts. for such a small model with low aspect ratio she glides really nicely.

I was courious how roll control would be with the taileron setup alone, since there are no classic ailerons on that design. worked out pretty good in the end. as soon as she has picked up some airspeed after launch, she rolls nicely on command. roll rate is of course a bit slower to the right than to the left since you are fighting prop-torque but it is still more than enough (scale like I would say). In fact you have to cut down the rates or you will overcontrol!
at very very low speed with WOT it tends to torque-roll away. that's where the tailerons are less effective compared to ailerons on a high span wing.

elevator authority is excellent since some thrust vectoring is available (although it is not comparable to a harpy-cat).
slow speed is fun to fly. pull full elevator with idle throttle and she comes slowly and stable down in a parachute descend. if you force her to go to even higher AoA using "thrust vectoring" she starts to shake and wing rock at a point, just like the forward swept harpy-cat, but she does not go out of control.

flight performance is great. point the nose up, give full throttle and she climbs away effortlessly.

I have had a nasty crash with her and crushed the nose a bit. fixed it in a minute with some fiber tape. It would have been a good idea to generously wrap the nose with tape (from outside and inside) beforehand. that minimizes crash damage considerably!

cheers
chara
Oct 08, 2007, 07:41 PM

scaled up

good looking plane.. after haveing so much fun with my moded harpy. i would love to do this one. could you scale it up to 40 inch wing span.. tiled or full sheet would be good...thanks
Jun 01, 2008, 01:17 AM
Slopeosapien
Wow... I would have thought that with summer coming, there'd be more people looking for a small size jet... Well, I was! And it builds Fast!!!!

All made from PBIII, hot glue and some rattle can for orientation. Ran out of masking tape, so I'll have to do the canopy tomorrow. So far she weighs 52g (1.9 oz) as a bare airframe. It'll get 2 pico's, hitec 055 rX, FC2805 2840kv, TBird 9, 800 2cell with an APC 5x5 or 5.1x4.5e. I'll probably overshoot Chara's weight by a little bit, but it shouldn't reach 200g... I guess mine will just be a bit fast (Awww Shucks!!). A couple of pics for now, and a flight report in the next couple of days, if I'm lucky.

Thanks for another cool one, Chara!!
Jun 01, 2008, 01:20 PM
registered foam addict
Hey jonesymj, great job so far! It's nice to see another H-29 coming to life.
She should handle the higher speed nicely. However be alert in low speed/low altitude situations because of the higher wing loading.

I was pondering lately to build a scaled up H-29 to carry a camera for some aerial videotaping. I'd like to shoot some jet aerobatics from inside the cockpit.

Looking forward to read and see more of your progress!

cheers
chara
Jun 01, 2008, 04:25 PM
Slopeosapien
Well, got it done just now... Now if only the wind will die diwn so I can take it out and try it!! Came out @ 188g all up, which isn't too much more than the original, and the powersystem has more than enough uuumph to try to pull it out of my hand vertical... Does some cool torque rolls at WOT against the palm of my hand...

So, a bigger one, eh? How big were you thinking for AP? I had thought about just blowing it up to 200% for a bigger outrunner I have... Speaking of which, if it's not too much to ask, and you have the time, could you blow up the side pieces etc to 200% for me? I think a bigger one would look awesome next to it's little cousin!! That'd be 3 Chara designs, ready to fly anytime... I'm going to wid up with a small airforce here...
Jun 01, 2008, 06:20 PM
Chara has some of the best designs. Glad somebody else' besides me' bumped one. I think I need one of these too.
Jun 02, 2008, 10:16 AM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesymj
Wow... I would have thought that with summer coming, there'd be more people looking for a small size jet... Well, I was! And it builds Fast!!!!

All made from PBIII, hot glue and some rattle can for orientation. Ran out of masking tape, so I'll have to do the canopy tomorrow. So far she weighs 52g (1.9 oz) as a bare airframe. It'll get 2 pico's, hitec 055 rX, FC2805 2840kv, TBird 9, 800 2cell with an APC 5x5 or 5.1x4.5e. I'll probably overshoot Chara's weight by a little bit, but it shouldn't reach 200g... I guess mine will just be a bit fast (Awww Shucks!!). A couple of pics for now, and a flight report in the next couple of days, if I'm lucky.

Thanks for another cool one, Chara!!
Ive been running that exact same system on a 7oz wing of mine and its been a good little performer.I use the 5.1x.4.5
grat thrust and efficiency.Maybe ill have to build this next, when im tired of the wing .better yet build it now and have it ready!.Thanks Chara,and jones Iguess.
Jun 02, 2008, 02:45 PM
registered foam addict
oh guys, thanks for the kind words and for your appreciation.

jones, the 200% plans are in the queue! but you'll have to hang on a bit please.
probably until tomorrow.
I thought I'll make also the 130% version for AP. 130% or so should be enough, since the camera weighs just 37g.

cheers chara
Jun 02, 2008, 04:13 PM
Slopeosapien
No problem to wait a week, if need be... Thanks for doing it at all!!

I'm hoping to maiden mine tonight, weather depending... Looking forward to it!!
Jun 02, 2008, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesymj
It'll get <snip> FC2805 2840kv, TBird 9, 800 2cell with an APC 5x5 or 5.1x4.5e. I'll probably overshoot Chara's weight by a little bit, but it shouldn't reach 200g... I guess mine will just be a bit fast (Awww Shucks!!).
WHOA! I just noticed the power system.
That FC2805 is power hungry.
On 2s and with a 5x5 my SLOWER rewind gets the HC D9 1300mAH Gen2 warmer than I like after a hard flight.
If I recall correctly, stock, it pulled almost 14amps with a 6x4 APC sport on 2s.

I'll probably start cutting this tomorrow and I'll use my rewound 2805 with a 4.5x4.1 APCe on 3s with a Thunderbird 18.
Still my favorite motor, I have another, that I rewound FASTER for some reason, I'll be rewinding again trying to get 11turns of 23awg on it, that should spin a 5x5 on 3s with 1900kv and still have manageable amps.

Quick Reply