Aug 04, 2010, 06:10 PM
Senile Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Markgraf
I guess I will have to quit building red airplanes.
Actually, you will have the same problem with any solid colored airplane when photographed close up. If it is yellow the camera will compensate with too much blue. If it is blue the camera will compensate with too much yellow. Green too much magenta and so on, and so on.

The only real solution is to just make gray airplanes.
Last edited by Lnagel; Aug 04, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2010, 06:31 PM
Trouble is, they don't make any of the lightweight coverings in that grey shade. I tend toward black/yellow covering schemes and the camera seems to like that combination. I think I will try to avoid the single color schemes and stick with my favorites.

Gerry
Aug 04, 2010, 07:10 PM
Gerry,
Your Miss LA looks great. I just received Pat's Howard Ike kit & I'm starting to buy everything for the build. Good luck with your maiden, I will be looking forward to seeing how she flies!!
Brad
Aug 04, 2010, 07:21 PM
Senile Member
Quote:
I tend toward black/yellow covering schemes and the camera seems to like that combination. I think I will try to avoid the single color schemes and stick with my favorites.
Unfortunately, when doing scale that isn't always, if ever, possible. Besides, your all red Miss Los Angeles looks fantastic.

Larry
Aug 04, 2010, 07:29 PM
Senile Member
I'm building a Wedell Williams 44 that I plan to do in all gold per one of Roscoe Turner's planes. I wonder what kind of color aberations I'll get trying photograph that?

Larry
Aug 04, 2010, 08:55 PM
Neophyte hacker
You guys have the wrong idea. Put the plane on the tarmac, then lie down on your belly to take the pics. Get the camera about 3" above the tarmac to take the photo (scale eye level). If you have someone to help have them turn the plane to get views from every angle. Choose your layout so your shadow is not in the picture and the background is far away.

charlie
Aug 04, 2010, 09:44 PM
Senile Member
The problem is that if I layed down on the tarmac I'd never be able to get up again.

Larry
Aug 04, 2010, 10:11 PM
Larry

That was my exact thought. At 68, I'm not using the little electric carts at Walmart yet, but I'm starting to think it may be possible someday. I can still get down on my belly if I really want to get the right shot, but its a long way back up and I have to be really sure I want to.

The best answer is to get the airplane up in the air and let somebody take pictures for you. I'm not sure when that will happen with Miss LA. The Jenny will be no problem to take off from our grassy runway/gopher colony. I'm pretty sure that I can get the Gee Bee D off the grass if I can find a somewhat smooth spot but the landing won't be pretty. I know that it will be difficult if not impossible to get Miss LA off of our runway with that long landing gear. I can sneak over and use the park road (we're not supposed to) but its lined with concrete bumpers and there are light poles on either side. I have a lot of time invested in carving that foam cowl on Miss LA and I suspect it will crumble with any kind of impact. I'm looking for a smooth surface extending infinitely in all directions. Then I'll try the first flight.

Gerry
Aug 05, 2010, 02:30 AM
Senile Member
Gerry, you've got me by 5 years. I still bypass the Walmart carts, but I do divert my eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if Miss LA surprised you and ended up being very docile. It looks to be very lightly built and shouldn't fly like an overweight "elephant".

Larry

edit: I just went back through the thread and read Pat's flight reports. Tain't nothin' to be skeerd of.
Last edited by Lnagel; Aug 05, 2010 at 02:47 AM.
Aug 05, 2010, 08:29 AM
Neophyte hacker
Yep,on a 'bad knee' day I've been known to just snap away too

And I am not as avid a photog as Tritle. He can be found in the wet grass to get a good picture.
Aug 05, 2010, 08:30 AM
Neophyte hacker
The only thing I remember on these was to make sure you have the down and right thrust. Two different sizes of plane were uncontrollable without it.

charlie
Aug 05, 2010, 08:53 AM
Nice bird Gerry, no matter what camera angle she looks good

D-Rock
Aug 05, 2010, 02:35 PM
D-Rock. Thanks for the kind words. I was happy with the way it turned out too.

I don't think the Miss LA will be tough to fly. I do remember that Pat crashed his on first flight. I made sure to build in some right thrust (makes the cowl look kind'a funny). I know the airplane is well powered with that 2808 motor - it should be right speedy. That long landing gear will make ground handling a little tricky though. I sure don't want to spoil that foam cowl. It came out far better than I had any right to ecpect, and is vulnerable to any abrupt nose-over.

Oh well. At some point you have to throw cautionto the winds (literally).

Gerry

Quick Reply