Sep 29, 2007, 08:02 AM
It flew once before...
Pat ,

This is sweeeeet ! I'm in line for this one , just say when

-John
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2007, 09:40 AM
this is a neat project pat--those wheel pants are gonna make it look even better.. it'll be interesting to read the flight report..

now that the weather is cooling down, it seems like the ideal time to start some building again--

i suppose you can pretty much fly all year in Albuquerque..

with a racer like this, is it trickier to get the balance point right? is it more critical than the others?

Tim
Sep 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
Thread OP
Tim, Yep, we pretty much have a 12 month "crashing season" here in ABQ. In fact, I soloed on 1 Jan 1989, and have qualified for the All Season Flyer patch every year since, and have been averaging about 200 hours a year the whole way.

I'm not sure C. G. will be a problem on Miss LA. The tail moment more closely resembles a pattern ship then a scale racer. Using the 40% high point airfoil, and starting at 32%, I almost always end up taping pennies to the tail for the second flight.

PAT
Sep 30, 2007, 11:12 PM
Thread OP

Mounting the Wheels and Spats

The wheels are retained with the little nylon EZ-Connector keepers, one on each side of the wheel. The pants were then glued in place on the landing gear.
Sep 30, 2007, 11:19 PM
Thread OP

It's Almost Finished

Once the landing gear was all buttoned up, the wing rigging and the last of the details were added.

The instrument panel was made up from 1/64 ply, backed with .008" acetate, and the dials glued to the acetate. The assembly was glued in place with Canopy 560 glue.

The windshield was cut to size, then taped around a jelly jar filled with water and placed in the microwave till the water was nearly at a boil. The jar was removed from the oven and cooled, then the windshield removed from the jar and glued to the model.

The radio is all hooked up now, and the control system set up and working nicely. From here, the only thing left will be to set up the C. G. and mount the battery accordingly. It won't be long now!

PAT
Sep 30, 2007, 11:40 PM
CNC Foam Cutter
bravo!!!!!!
Oct 01, 2007, 04:16 AM
It flew once before...
Awesome Pat !
Oct 01, 2007, 02:26 PM
thats very very nice indeed..the rigging looks great and functional..

im afraid you are opening the pandoras box of racers here pat!! LOL

youre gonna get us all excited about this stuff--

i need to look back on this to remember which motor you are planning on..

now we just have to come out to albuquerque and bring a great big black and white checkered pylon or 2..
Oct 02, 2007, 08:51 AM
Thread OP

All Finished and Ready To Fly

Got the C. G. set up and the battery mounted in the B-2. The battery ended up just forward of the cockpit, so a tray was added and accessed through the cockpit opening.

In the end, with the 1320 2 cell battery in place the all up weight came out at 11.6 oz. At 200 sq. in. of wing area, that puts the wing loading at 8.4 oz. / sq. ft. At that, the B-2 should be a good solid flyer.

Hope to get the maiden in on Friday morning. Will post the pics when it happens.

PAT
Oct 02, 2007, 06:21 PM
It flew once before...
Ok Pat ,

You have done it again Another "Must Have" for my collection . Are there any more " racers" in the works ?

-John
Oct 02, 2007, 07:08 PM
Garry Owen!
How about a sharp little Cassutt?

Yak
Oct 02, 2007, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
John, We'll have to see how this one goes over, then look at future racer designs. It's not like that era has been over done for sure, and there's really some cool stuff out there.

Yak, The Cassutt is a jewel for sure. And if I'm not mistaken, I have a good set of 3 views for that one too.

PAT
Oct 02, 2007, 11:02 PM
Two left thumbs
Anyone contemplating more racers might want to find a copy of The Air Racer by Charles A. Mendenhall, ISBN 0-933424-01-9 or, of course, Paul Matt's famous drawings. The Mendenhall drawings show a grid for those of us who are CAD-challenged.

It would be waaaaay cool to see a whole flock of 1920s - 1930s racers in the air together! Yeah, Pat, I bet you've started a trend!
Oct 03, 2007, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
I have 3 views from several of the Golden Age racers as well as a few Formula 1 types. I really want to do the Formula I Bonzo. I think that's one of the best looking "go-fasters" ever built.

I also have a copy of "The Golden Age of Air Racing pre-1940". It's loaded with history and 3 views of many of those early efforts.

PAT
Oct 04, 2007, 01:08 PM

Midget Mustang/Long Midget

And don't forget the "Midget Mustang" AKA "Long Midget".

Quick Reply