Sep 18, 2007, 07:19 AM
Thread OP
Tim, I didn't do the Wedell Williams, that one was done in house at Dumas. But even at 24" span if care was taken to keep the weight down it might make a pretty good RC Conversion.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2007, 07:28 AM
Thread OP

One last Little Detail

Since the model will be set up with scale wing rigging, the attach points for the flying wires needed to be set up. The way it works is that the rigging will attach to the outside end of the axle via a brass tube with a brass wire hook. The hook assembly will slip over the axle after the wheel pants are installed and glue in place with epoxy. Since the LG assembly will stay with the wing, the only place where the rigging will need to detach from the model will be at the fuselage, which will be done using a steel wire hook and fishing swivels.

PAT
Sep 18, 2007, 09:30 AM
confused poet
Hey Pat,

Who will release this kit. You or Dumas?

Thank you

Henry
Sep 18, 2007, 10:10 AM
Good Lord Pat, you're a building machine!!!! Every time I look in this forum there's a new thread. Can't wait to see more progress.
Dave
Sep 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
Thread OP

I Promise, This Really IS the Last Detail Before Covering

Seams like every time the iron is almost hot enough to get started another piddly little thing shows up. OK. this time for sure -- the framing and details are done -- it's time to cover!

PAT
Sep 18, 2007, 10:42 PM
Two left thumbs
Thanks for the education! I used a hardwood GWS style mount on my Jodel - with disastrous results when I went straight in last Saturday. Instead of just breaking the mount, I wiped out the whole front end! OWWWW!!! Your pics have shown me the light! (Light mounting stick, that is!) It's getting a balsa stick now!

I'm sure glad you master builders post your builds!!! It greatly helps those of us who aren't at that level!
Sep 18, 2007, 11:24 PM
Thread OP
Geoff, I've discovered over the years through a gradual process of building lighter and lighter models that adding "weak spots" can prevent a good bit of unnecessary damage. That's not to say that a mount like that will be too weak to be effective and hold up well, but in a case like that, overbuilding the mount will often create more problems then it will solve. I haven't yet seen a model airplane that could be pounded in at warp speed and survive, but a lighter model will typically hold up pretty well to hard landings and minor mishaps simply because there's less energy being absorbed by the parts that do make contact.

Anyhow, it makes me happy to know that the info offered here is able to do some good for those among us who see it.

PAT
Sep 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
ooops
I love this kind of plane. Subcribed.
Rick
Sep 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
Wow Pat, this one is a great subject - don't know how i missed it..

You didn't mention if this was going to be a Dumas Kit or short kit? On the positive side if it's a Dumas kit then could we be looking forward to a trio of racers? Of course on the negative side we'll have to wait ... (i need a rapide! )

-Tom
Sep 19, 2007, 11:06 AM
Gravity gets me down.
one of my faves!! subscribed!
Sep 19, 2007, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Guys, I'm happy to see the interest generated by this one. It will be available either as a short kit, or full kit eventually, but it will go somewhere else first. I won't take the liberty of saying where just yet, I'll leave that up to the "powers to be" for now and leave the anouncement up to their discression. But either way, I'm guessing it won't be a long wait, and you won't be disapointed -- I promise.

PAT
Sep 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
Thread OP

Covering Has Begun

Got started covering the wing this afternoon. The landing gear was lashed and glued in place, then the bottom of the panels were covered. Then the belly pan structure added. Will continue the process tomorrow.

PAT
Sep 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
Thread OP

Making Some Real Progress

Well, we're back in forward motion on the Miss LA. Been busy catching up on other projects and am able to bring this project back up front and finally get her ready to fly.

All the covering is done, and the graphics are on. Callie really outdid herself on this one.
Sep 28, 2007, 09:15 PM
Thread OP

Down to Final Assembly

Fromhere, it's down to hooking up the controls and doing the last of the assembly details. Hope to have her finished up and in the air by mid next week.

PAT

Quick Reply