Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 01, 2007, 08:21 PM
Discussion

Miss Los Angeles @ 32"

Some time back I got started drawing up the Brown B-2 "Miss Los Angeles". The models spans 32", and is about 33" long. For power, it looks like a Hi-Max 2808 Outrunner will be a good choice, and 4 ch. R/C will keep things movong in the right direction.

Well, the plans are done, but the laser parts aren't here yet. so desided to get started on the parts that don't need cut parts to do. The landing gear assembly was worked up and the wheel pants assembled. Also did up the wingtip and tail section bows. Once the parts get here we'll get serious about getting the little B-2 together.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2007, 10:00 PM
Oh my Pat............wish you told me about this one! Its a fav. I built a 60" slimer in 1975 & it flew super-even had flaps & weighed 5.5lbs.
I will put my order in right now, but it will be for my son as he loves the B2.

Best wishes,
Dale
Sep 01, 2007, 10:25 PM
Dale, A freind if mine is flying a 72" Miss LA and absolutely loves it. He has a 2 stroke 1.20 in it, it's not outragiously fast, but it's dead honest and rock solid stable. Can't wait to try this one.

PAT
Sep 01, 2007, 10:36 PM
That sounds just like my B2-like on rails, not too fast but very groovy. With full flaps on landing you had to 3 point it or it would very slowly nose over-seems to take forever so I could knew it was coming but unable to stop it except by pouring on the coals so elev would have some effect & go around again. Took a little getting used to.

Dale

ps: did you ship my 3 kits today??? hope so-N.17, Jn4 & 7AC.
Sep 10, 2007, 08:51 PM

Building the Tail Section

The parts have arrived, and the B-2 is now offivially "under construction". Building began with the vertical and horizontal stabilizers.
Sep 10, 2007, 08:56 PM

Framing the Wing

The wing is of the "egg crate" style construction method. Construction begins by assembling the front and rear spars and doublers. The model will have 1 deg. of dihedral -- just enough so the wing doesn't look "droopy".

Construction begins with the center section, built directly over the plans.
Sep 10, 2007, 09:03 PM

Framing the Outer Panels

To build the wing panel, the center section is un-pinned and the spars laid over the plan, one at a time.

Somehow, I forgot to draw the aileron hinge spars, so had to go back and do those. Meanwhile, I had done the tip bows with 3 laminations instead of 2. Unfortunately, they were so cumbersome and bulky that I made a new set using the original 2 layer method -- which worked fine.

Once both panels were framed, the wing assembly (less ailerons) was removed from the board and sanded to shape.

PAT
Sep 17, 2007, 07:47 AM

Getting Ready to Cover

The aileron servos are in the wings and hooked up, so the wing is basically ready to cover.

The Nose block is carved and the tail block is in place, but not yet shaped. A final sanding will have the frame ready to cover very soon.
Sep 17, 2007, 08:28 AM
Just wonderful Pat!!! :-) I love seeing your work come together so nicely. These 1930 racers are some of my favorites-the golden age produced a lot of very inovative designs & the racers were at the top on the list.
Thanks for sharing,
Dale
Sep 17, 2007, 05:28 PM

She's Ready To Cover

The motor is mounted and the cowl is finished, and got the last of the sanding done this morning. So now it's time to cover.

PAT
Sep 17, 2007, 07:04 PM
I want one of these Pat, PLEASE!!!!!!!
Sep 17, 2007, 11:51 PM
pat--did you design the original dumas wedell williams racer??

this looks great--can wait to hear how it flies..

it seems like everyone likes the idea of mini air races..me too..!!

Tim