Look out! Your safety compromised in the name of profit - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Aug 30, 2007, 02:33 PM
Registered User
Discussion

Look out! Your safety compromised in the name of profit


Hopefully, the Teamsters and others will be successful in blocking access to US roadways. It's not that US trucks are all that safe. But why open our roadways up to a country with a record of not only poor inspection practices but also a long history of smuggling. What's Homeland Secutiry's position in all of this?

And the pro side stating that the use of Mexican drivers will save American Consumers hundreds of millions of dollars... Pulease, it'll save the corporations hundreds of millions of dollars and our price for consumables will remain the same. And the US trucking industry will be the ones from which the corporate savings will originate. A bonehead idea.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/29/mex...ap/index.html?
Aug 30, 2007, 02:38 PM
Permanently Banned
pinolefm1's Avatar
"and provide U.S. trucking companies the opportunity to expand their business into our nation's third largest trading partner"

Sure it will
Steve
Aug 30, 2007, 02:51 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
2SMOKINBARRELS's Avatar
Quote:
It's not that US trucks are all that safe.
You cant be serious.
Aug 30, 2007, 03:26 PM
nut
nut
Pots and Kettels
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinolefm1
"and provide U.S. trucking companies the opportunity to expand their business into our nation's third largest trading partner"

Sure it will
Steve
UNBELIEVABLE
Aug 30, 2007, 03:37 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Twizter68's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
It's not that US trucks are all that safe.

Please quantify this; I spend a lot of time on the highways, and all but one of the truck accidents I have personally seen were caused by automobile drivers...
Aug 30, 2007, 03:38 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Twizter68's Avatar
Oh, and I sincerely hope the Teamsters do succeed in blocking this. I'm not sure about Little Jimmy, but Big Jimmy would have had the gates blocked....
Aug 30, 2007, 03:44 PM
Against it with you
Sprydle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68
Please quantify this; I spend a lot of time on the highways, and all but one of the truck accidents I have personally seen were caused by automobile drivers...
The only issue I have with trucks in the US are the huge numbers of delaminated tyres littering the roads. I hit one about 4 months ago, and it caused over $5000 worth of damage to the front of my car, all paid for by the insurance company, so no real issue. Had the tyre (about a 10 ft strip) bounced any higher though, it would have come through my windscreen and it would have been much more serious.

As it was it smashed the whole front of my car in, bursting my radiator, oil cooler and damaged part of the a/c.

What is it with these tyre's delaminating? Are they re-treads or something?
Aug 30, 2007, 03:59 PM
Registered User
I'm talking mostly about the system of safety inspections in this country. From conversations I've had with truckers, it's common for truckers to avoid weigh stations. In fact, here's a web page which will tell you which weigh stations are open:
http://www.coopsareopen.com/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68
Please quantify this; I spend a lot of time on the highways, and all but one of the truck accidents I have personally seen were caused by automobile drivers...
Aug 30, 2007, 04:11 PM
Suspended Account
sarge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
I'm talking mostly about the system of safety inspections in this country. From conversations I've had with truckers, it's common for truckers to avoid weigh stations. In fact, here's a web page which will tell you which weigh stations are open:
http://www.coopsareopen.com/
My brother and father are both drivers. Much of their professional lives has been spent in attempting to circumvent driving hour and weight restrictions. That's not to say that our trucking industry is necessarily unsafe - I suspect that the accident rate for miles driven and freight hauled is probably pretty good.
Aug 30, 2007, 04:13 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
What is it with these tyre's delaminating? Are they re-treads or something?
Yes.
Aug 30, 2007, 04:27 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
The only issue I have with trucks in the US are the huge numbers of delaminated tyres littering the roads. I hit one about 4 months ago, and it caused over $5000 worth of damage to the front of my car, all paid for by the insurance company, so no real issue. Had the tyre (about a 10 ft strip) bounced any higher though, it would have come through my windscreen and it would have been much more serious.

As it was it smashed the whole front of my car in, bursting my radiator, oil cooler and damaged part of the a/c.

What is it with these tyre's delaminating? Are they re-treads or something?


just think if you were on a motorcycle at the time.
Aug 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
Against it with you
Sprydle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
just think if you were on a motorcycle at the time.
Exactly. A friend of a friend (so it's anecdotal) knew someone who was decapitated by a tyre-snake.

They weigh a lot, and hitting them at freeway speeds one a motorbike? Yech.
Aug 30, 2007, 04:45 PM
Go get them Meg!
lrsudog's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
Exactly. A friend of a friend (so it's anecdotal) knew someone who was decapitated by a tyre-snake.

They weigh a lot, and hitting them at freeway speeds one a motorbike? Yech.

Mythbusters did a show on this very circumstance. IIRC, they showed how it could happen, but it had to have been from a direct hit after the retread came off the tire.
Aug 30, 2007, 05:21 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
2SMOKINBARRELS's Avatar
I dont know why anyone would try to or have to drive overweight.No need to over load trucks and single axle scales on site are comman.
Aug 30, 2007, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
sarge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
What is it with these tyre's delaminating? Are they re-treads or something?
They commit suicide after seeing how horribly you butcher the spelling of their name?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Raining outside? Look out the government will take your stuff... LTChip Life, The Universe, and Politics 25 Sep 20, 2006 09:05 AM
NASA World Wind 1.3 Now Out - Check out your favorite slopes in 3D for freeeeee surfimp Slope 41 Apr 10, 2005 11:15 PM
LOOK- OUT! ! Snoopy! jfelts303 Parkflyers 4 Sep 18, 2001 09:40 PM
Bad Tiger Moth Day! Look Out For The Wind! mrebman Parkflyers 3 Sep 16, 2001 11:01 AM
Look out someone chasing you, Dive! Anyone ready for laser tag combat?!! jas_Qfix Power Systems 2 Jun 30, 2001 01:40 AM