Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
Question

Berg RX's really that much better?

So I have an Airtronics RD6000 that I really like. I fly currently with some Hitec RX (new 5ch like $27 from hobbytown) and a new Hitec crystal for it. When I fly my myself or another person, everything seems fine. However, when I get in a larger group I get glitches here and there. Even worse when I use a Hitec older Feather.

My TX came with like a ch54 TX crystal, but I have been using a ch16 TX crystal for a while - all seems ok - again the above issue.

So, I bought a couple Berg's used here online (Berg 5 III , Berg 6 III -whatever). Not here yet, but I do have ch16 Berg crystals for them when they do come.

Do you think my issues probably would be resolved? I know nobody could say for sure, but these Hitec's are cheap and I assume quality comes with what you buy.

There are "newer" bergs out, and via the descriptions, they seem to say the same thing as the older bergs anyways.. not sure if berg tech has really changed since the "5 DSP III" to the newer "4L" or "7P"

Any thoughts?

I would think that if Castle would make a TX with DSP and TSR to work with it's own DSP RX's.. that would be tight. Much like 2.4 I suppose.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2007, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
My TX came with like a ch54 TX crystal, but I have been using a ch16 TX crystal for a while - all seems ok - again the above issue.
Is it an Airtronics crystal? I don't care to get into the legality of changing TX crystals, but that is a pretty big jump from 72.87 mHz to 72.11 mHz without any tuning. My 2.

Also, the Hitec feather RX does not get many good reviews.

Bill
Aug 30, 2007, 12:42 PM
Suspended Account
I've tried several brands of receivers and ended up using Bergs almost exclusively. They've always been rock solid for me. Would love to convert to 2.4 though.

Will
Aug 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Yeah, technically - not legally.

So your saying that a TX has something to do with freq? I thought a crystal does all that work.. at tx is "dumb" to freq and the crystal takes care of all it.. so I understood..

Not sure if it is a airtronics cx.
Aug 30, 2007, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, technically - not legally.

So your saying that a TX has something to do with freq? I thought a crystal does all that work.. at tx is "dumb" to freq and the crystal takes care of all it.. so I understood..

Not sure if it is a airtronics cx.
I do not know it is a TX problem, but as I said, it is a big frequency leap. The crystal and tuned circuits determine the two frequencies used in the FM (PPM) TX. Mixing brands of crystals is not a good idea. See what Peter Berg has to say about TX crystals.

Bill
Aug 30, 2007, 01:22 PM
AMA 353531
I've been told that JR has two sets of tuning circuits in their frequency modules, one is used with crystals for channels 31 and above, and another with crystals for channels 30 and below.
Aug 30, 2007, 01:40 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
yeah I just got off the phone with airtronics. He said yeah, the TX needs to be calibrated for a freg if you make a cx change like I did. It's like $25 to send it in and have it calibrated and for a new cx.. so that should be worth it for sure.
Aug 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
I've been told that JR has two sets of tuning circuits in their frequency modules, one is used with crystals for channels 31 and above, and another with crystals for channels 30 and below.
Never heard that of JR, but Futaba does (or did) have two bands - 11 - 35 low, and 36 - 60 high. I think they are phasing out that separation.

Bill
Aug 30, 2007, 02:25 PM
The reviewer
Be careful with those older Bergs. There was a batch or two that suffered from a bug/flaw that saw them simply go to sleep for extended periods of time under some circumstances. Quite a few folks (including myself) lost some models due to this.

The newer ones (from Castle) seem rock-solid, as are the Corona receivers (which are about half the price).
Aug 30, 2007, 02:34 PM
Quote:
So I have an Airtronics RD6000 that I really like. I fly currently with some Hitec RX (new 5ch like $27 from hobbytown) and a new Hitec crystal for it. When I fly my myself or another person, everything seems fine. However, when I get in a larger group I get glitches here and there. Even worse when I use a Hitec older Feather. My TX came with like a ch54 TX crystal, but I have been using a ch16 TX crystal for a while - all seems ok - again the above issue. So, I bought a couple Berg's used here online (Berg 5 III , Berg 6 III -whatever). Not here yet, but I do have ch16 Berg crystals for them when they do come. Do you think my issues probably would be resolved? I know nobody could say for sure, but these Hitec's are cheap and I assume quality comes with what you buy. There are "newer" bergs out, and via the descriptions, they seem to say the same thing as the older bergs anyways.. not sure if berg tech has really changed since the "5 DSP III" to the newer "4L" or "7P" Any thoughts? I would think that if Castle would make a TX with DSP and TSR to work with it's own DSP RX's.. that would be tight. Much like 2.4 I suppose.
1. HFS-05MS / Micro 05S 5CH Single Conversion receiver has auto shift and auto gain . TX must be turned on first - off last. If this or any IPD, PLL or synthesised RX is turned on first, they seek and lock to the nearest close signal which may be out of kilter with your TX. HFS-05MS Detail and Instruction Sheet
2. Is a genuine green tipped Hitec single conversion crystal installed?
Hitec crystals must be used in Hitec RX for optimum results. Futaba single conversion RX crystals may appear to work but with proven less range and glitching, especially noticeable in damp weather or wet ground. Local radio technician was surprised but ran a number of tests with result he is also now convinced that there is a significant difference in the crystals. See also the crystal comparison chart from GWS and more under "Crystals, Oscilators & Piezo " on my web page.
3. You do not mention type of model being flown or, if electric with BEC, how many and type of servos. If ESC with BEC, is it putting out sufficent current to run all servos and RX under load? many ESC cannot handle more than 3 micro or 2 standard servos.
4. Refer to "Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception.", also on my web page.

"but these Hitec's are cheap and I assume quality comes with what you buy"
FWIW HFS-05MS aka Micro 05MS gets "Best buy, best performance or good performance at low price" on independant tests at Comparison charts of RX with FAQ and photos (Graupner = rebadged JR).

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Aug 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Thanks.

Well, since I have no issues when flying by myself, one would assume my power/bec/servos/esc would not be at fault. (?)
Yeah, it's a new hitec rx with a new hitec cx made for it.
yes I turn on things in proper order.
Aug 30, 2007, 03:46 PM
X-Ikarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJet
Be careful with those older Bergs. There was a batch or two that suffered from a bug/flaw that saw them simply go to sleep for extended periods of time under some circumstances. Quite a few folks (including myself) lost some models due to this.

The newer ones (from Castle) seem rock-solid, as are the Corona receivers (which are about half the price).
A flaw in the Corona RD620 software Imo
on signal loss it "remembers" the last throttle position and keeps it there.

It should Imo reduce throttle to minimum on signal loss.
otherwise seems a fine Rx
Aug 30, 2007, 05:01 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
So some people are saying that this is better than a Berg 4L?
Aug 30, 2007, 06:22 PM
Inciting Riots
This one is better because it is $5 cheaper:
http://www.lightflightrc.com/HTML/products/LFRC_S4.htm

I have one of these and one of the dual conversion 6 channel receivers on the way.The price on the dual conversion is cheap enough that it isn't much of a thought for the better performance.
Aug 30, 2007, 06:24 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Ooo lightflight. good peeps.
corona and LF same thing just different sticker.?