Aug 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
Twisted and Confused
Discussion

Mmmmm cuppachino flying + maiden

The last week or so has seen some warm days with nice breezes, enough to fly and have fun and pull some decent thermals. This is my favourite kind of flying, having enough lift to cruise around with a bit of extra lift in the shape of the odd thermal to get some height for some aerobatics. The odd bit of sink to keep you on your toes is also somewhere around.

The last weekend saw the maiden of my 60" pirat from blejzyk as supplied by Klaus from Airsports RC . I'd elected to go with the REA rather than the RE as I'd set up my radio to use the spoilerons.

Although it was never going to compete with my moulded 60" Mini Corado, this plane was for exactly this type of flying, cruising around on a sunday afternoon in the nice warm sun. As a bonus, it was nice to look at a scale plane for a change as I'd begun to get used to looking at flying pod and booms. All up it was a very satisfactory build, nothing complicated to look out for as I'd already built the Mephisto from the same company. I'm not sure of the exact AUW, but I'm thinking its about the 600g range. The dihedral meant that I was also able to fly M2 (I fly M1 usually) in the event of phone calls or the need of a drink on the slope.

The maiden went perfectly as it is a real pleasure to fly with no bad vices or habits to watch out for. I suspect I'll have to push the CG back a little, but it thermals nicely and it's fun to low passes across the slope. I even managed to do a few 30' high half pipes The rolls are very slow, a huge bootful of rudder is needed to get them around, but stil this is not a Fox or Swift.

Looking forward to the next lazy sunday afternoon.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2007, 08:20 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
"cappuccino"

a and no h

All the same, the type of flying I too enjoy - and a Blejzyk Fen (also from Klaus) is waiting in a box for my birthday next month for similar flying days.

I had my eye on that Pirat also - glad it flies nicely.

Graham
Aug 29, 2007, 08:28 PM
Obsessed
Nice looking slope! I like the photos.
Aug 29, 2007, 08:37 PM
find me @samotage
Did you get cake with your cappuccino? Apparently Becsta got served cake on her visit to Klaus.

Nice slopes there too! What is that big green hill in the background like?

Sam,
who prefers it long and black.
Aug 30, 2007, 12:02 AM
Twisted and Confused
Thanks guys, I never could spell other peoples food stuffs.

That slope isn't that great as it is the end of a ridge and there are a number of others in front of it (as seen in the photos), so the wind can be a little rough at times. The slopes you can see are also in the lee of the one I was flying on for the prevailing wind direction NW, so I've never tried them, especially as there are better slopes elsewhere to fly from.

The pirat was a gift from my lady for my b'day, so it was doubly good (she took the photos). I have some others coming from a better camera which I'll put up when I get them.

No cake unfortunately, though I did get some kuchen de nuecas instead (walnut flan/pie) which was just as nice.

Steve
Aug 30, 2007, 03:26 AM
kkw
kkw
Steve.
glad it flies I have not flown the Pirat, nor had any feedback from customers who have - until now. I look forward to more pics and reports

Klaus
Aug 30, 2007, 07:56 PM
Twisted and Confused
Klaus

it's a great little plane, I wish I could get a 2.5m one as well! For this type of flying I've not flown anything better yet. Though my MC outflies it, its not so fun and can be easily lost against the background at distance. One of my favourite things to do while flying like this is to fly as far along the ridge/hill or as far out as I dare before trying to find a thermal to come back. Once I get a nice paint job onto it, it'll be easy to spot at distance, and if seen over a neighbouring ridge, it looks very realistic and scale. I'd love to do a aerotow, but I don't know anyone that flies power so I guess its sloping only at the moment.

Because its so light, and reasonably "draggy" it does get tossed around in higher winds though, so I might put a chunk of ballast in to beef it up a bit. I love the little wheel too, it runs across the ground nicely and it would be easy enough to do touch and goes on a smooth enough slope.

I'd certainly recommend it to any newbies for a first crunchy as its very forgiving and easy to set up for RE and Ailerons for training. It does take up a bit of room, but with a removable wing it does pack down enough for a sedan.

Steve
Nov 23, 2007, 04:40 PM
kkw
kkw
Steve.
have you managed any more flights on the Pirat? More pics?

Klaus
Nov 23, 2007, 07:38 PM
Twisted and Confused
Klaus
I've flown it quite a bit. For light lift/thermal I like it more than my mini corado (60" MH32 crunchy) but it doesn't handle the bigger winds as well as the MC. It's also nice to look at a scale plane, as well as something other than a "flying chopsticks" as my flying mate calls my 60"ers.
It is a really baby to fly, though the rudder isn't as powerful as I'd hoped (I didn't do the full dihedral recommended for aero's) but still enough to whip over a stall turn, thermal turns etc. I can usually get it slowed down enough to get a hand catch as well. I had hoped to be able to fly M2 with e/r, but it doesn't really handle well enough to take my other hand off the Tx for a long time. I have to change the ail servos as they've stripped a gear and getting a bit ratty, so I'll have to get organised and do a paint scheme at the same time. Off to my LHS on monday, so will get supplies to do so.

Steve
Oct 28, 2008, 11:50 PM

Pirat RC Glider

Hi, all (or whoever stumbles on this at such a late date)

I built a standoff scale Pirat about 15 years ago from plans bought from one of the mags. It's 114" span and I'd planned on flying it but my main fun, hang gliding, took over and I put it away. I'll be getting it out this spring ('09) after a little practice with the Sophisticated Lady and Wanderer99 in the photo. Had a couple of bungee launches that I remember messing up so I've got some catching up to do... new radio as well, mine are a bit old. So just gabbing, nothing critical at least until it crashes.

The storage/transport box fits in the back of my pickup but spends most of the time suspended from the garage ceiling, keeping everything clean and out of harm's way.