Nov 22, 2002, 08:17 PM
Thread OP

Avro Vulcan

Just put first flights on my Vulcan designed by Graham Iredale over in UK. Wondering if anyone else has one flying (in the USA) and their reactions to this kit? I am putting this into the "Jet" forum even though it is a twin 400 size prop driven model. My only problems were a) that I built a white version and flying against the snow clouds yesterday was not too smart -- may have to camo the top and model an early Mk 2. b) the model just will not quit flying even with power off so is very easy to power land right at your feet. Hand launch of this 31/2 lb model is no sweat. More details if anyone shows interest
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2002, 08:27 PM
Sure, we're interested and we'd like to see photos, as well as, specs and where we can buy one.
Nov 22, 2002, 08:43 PM
Fly Brushless!
Definitely interested! More info please.
Nov 22, 2002, 09:51 PM
Registered Lifeform
Is this the Jetsmart Avro Vulcan? If so at least two other U.S. Ezoners have them lurking in the shop/garage. I'd love to hear all the gory details of the build as I hope to get started on mine after Christmas.

Even though it's a prop drive, it's a much more scale-looking model than many EDF's. Very interesting construction too- I really wondered how they managed the complicated wing planforn and was amazed to see how simple it is.

Show us pictures! Many pictures!

thanks, Paul
Nov 23, 2002, 12:19 AM
Balsa Snob - Mostly

Lurking Vulcan

Yup, mine is lurking along with the Jetsmart Vampire. There was an earlier thread (very active) on the Vulcan in one of the Ezone forums early this year.

I found a great book on the Vulcan with some classy pictures called the "FOBS KID Syndrome" written by a crew chief on Vulcans.

????? Fed on B..l S..t and kept in the dark

I saw them flying when I worked in England in the late 70's. Sucker for the V-Bombers Valiant, Victor and Vulcan.
Nov 24, 2002, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Yes, it is the Jetsmart model and the build was not that bad just that with so few kits produced, the instructions never really got sorted out. I have built hundreds of models but this one taxed my thinking. Graham was very,very helpful all the way through and even shipped new parts from the UK when I screwed up.
Hawker, why would you be interested in this type of model after that fantastic AN 225 experience ?? Sort of a comedown. Trust you have found a way to reduce it's weight so that you can do more than fast taxi. (which by the way is all that the surviving full scale Vulcan is now authorised to do).
I used to work at RAE Thurleigh in the 50's and we used to have 4 Valiants on that ORP mode. One day they switched with 4 Vulcans and when they scrambled together that was a spectacular and numbing experience. 80 tons of Vulcans were off the ground from a cold start well within four minutes. I also remember Roly Falk rolling the Vulcan at Farnborough, more than once. For good info on Vulcans get Volumne 3 of Wings of Fame.
Nov 24, 2002, 07:01 PM
Fly Brushless!
After seeing Chris Golds Avro I just have been wanting one.
Looks so cool.

Re: the AN-225, thanks. For the weight problem I removed the
landing gear and steering servo, removed two spars out of the
wings (lots of weight there), and shed some foam from the
fuselage nose and mid sections. It's much lighter and hopefully
will fly for the first time tomorrow (hand launch).
Nov 25, 2002, 02:02 AM
Electric Coolhunter
I have the Jetsmart Vulcan kit as well. I brought back a couple from England this past summer, one for me and one for Paul W.

Looks like and interesting and fairly easy build, if a little unconventional in some aspects.

Any comments on the build process? I like the looks of the kit. My only negative comment woud be about the weight of the vacuformed parts. They seem a little hefty.

I hope to build mine in the spring after getting a couple of other commitments out of the way.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Nov 26, 2002, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Thomas B, I'll send you some data on build process etc out of this forum as there does not seem to be much interest in this particular model and don't want to tie up the airwaves.
Nov 27, 2002, 12:44 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Heck, I would post it here. I bet there is more interest than you might guess!
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Nov 27, 2002, 02:25 AM
Fly Brushless!
I'm interested!
Nov 27, 2002, 03:58 AM
More info will be good
Nov 29, 2002, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Here are some pictures of the Vulcan, taken after the first flights!! Waiting for a blue sky day before flying again as the first flights against grey clouds was sort of "not much fun". Of course we are now into a few months of "Michigan Grey" so future flights may be few and far between.
Nov 29, 2002, 04:19 PM
Wooww, really nice model

Please send also some construction detail pics
Jan 18, 2003, 10:33 PM
Toyota RAV4-EV !!
I'm interested. Nice build Barry!

Always liked the looks of the Vulcan and when I found this thread last week I sent Jetsmart an email request to buy one. Graham's site says they've been swamped with orders. I'll be patient, but when I get it, it won't lurk in my garage.

3 1/2 lbs and hand launches with ease.. He has made a great looking & flying delta jet with a decently large wingspan!

Please use these airwaves more with pictures and flight reports.

Mark

Quick Reply