Aug 30, 2007, 04:36 PM
Aquamaniac
I'll admit that I'd feel differently if I had a finish turn sour. I used it because you raved about it on your Thunderbolt build and I like the idea of a hard finish. It sure polishes nice. I also have access to a serious spray booth to minimize exposure concerns.

Dane
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2007, 07:48 PM
I can't believe how fast you can do one. You make it look like a almost ready to float kit, must be the CA glue in your blood.I have a cobra thats takeing so long I may of restored a real one faster
Aug 31, 2007, 10:46 PM
WHOO HOOO!!!! My C*C Hydroplane just showed up in the mail! You are right Pat, the diagrams that come as part of the instructions are very well done and will be useful for sure- quick look at the parts, etc. shows this is probably the 'cleanest' C*C kit in Dumas' lineup! Bravo Dumas! I look forward to the Super Sport too!

On a side note, Tower Hobby has lost their price edge on the Local Hobby Shops with their new "Shipping Surcharge"- this is not a particularly large or heavy kit but the charge applies- the surcharge on top of shipping, minus the "special" tower discount puts this boat very close to Dumas' list price- for that, I will get to know the people at the LHS a little better!
Aug 31, 2007, 11:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Tower Hobby has lost their price edge on the Local Hobby Shops with their new "Shipping Surcharge"-
What the he!! is this??

How much did they charge estra? And what is the reason they give for charging it? Oversize boxes?
Aug 31, 2007, 11:20 PM
I just placed an order with Tower about 2 weeks ago, no surcharge. ?
Sep 01, 2007, 09:23 AM
The surcharge is probably due to gas prices and delivery...same thing happened to our local bowling alley snack bar, food prices went up due to surcharge and that's why.

Bud
Sep 01, 2007, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
How much did they charge estra? And what is the reason they give for charging it? Oversize boxes?
I'm almost embarrased to say! ($40)

When I ordered it, there was a note on Tower's page with the hydro on it that said something about the surcharge- now it appears to be gone... I'm going to give them a call!
Sep 01, 2007, 11:16 AM
Grumpa Tom
I started a new thread in Dock Talk about this so that we won't contine to hijack Pat's thread.
Sep 01, 2007, 12:25 PM
Roger that!

I am pleased with how this kit is looking! Very likely to mess up my newly re-baselined build schedule!!!
Sep 01, 2007, 08:42 PM
Thread OP

Planking the Hull

The hull is planled with 3/8" wide mahogany from the chines up. I'm happy to say that the bottom will remain bare plastic. Will certainly make the build much easier asnd faster!

The first 3 side planks go in un-modified. The next 4 will taper to the transom, so some trimming will be in order in the next go-around.

PAT
Sep 01, 2007, 08:58 PM
Looking great Pat! I was reading in the intructions about the taper in the upper planks toward the back of the hull- will look forward to your thoughts on how that goes!

Are you planning on having a contrasting king plank / sideboard finish on this one?

Looking at my "references" it is hard to tell if this would be 'factory' I have some curent pictures of "The Fifth" which is a 16' hydro in Michigan that has this finish and it looks very good- in other B&W 'period' pictures I have, it is hard to tell-
Sep 01, 2007, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Aero, I'm guessing that the full size boat was consistant in color, but like the 19' Racer, I'll do the Red Oak oil stain on the sides, deck sheer and king plank, then use the Dumas orange water base stain on the rest of the deck. The difference is really quite subtle, but the contrast looks great.

PAT
Sep 04, 2007, 12:35 PM

Thrilled to see this review - my next build will be the 19' racer or this one!

Great to see this thread. I knew the model was coming out, and I was starting to consider whether to do the 1949 Chris-Craft 19 ft. Racing Runabout or this one. This review - in combination with your review of the '49 19' racer will be a great help in making that choice.

Perhaps you can compare the two when you are done with this build. The ways the two kits are built seem very similar.

Steen
Sep 04, 2007, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
Steen, Comparing the two kits is really easy. The two kits both build basically the same though the racer is a couple inches longer. The major difference between the two is that the racer is not planked on the bottom, where the Hydro is, due to the bow shape and water line location.

The kits are designed the same as well, though the Hydro uses Lite Ply keel and frames where the Racer is the old mahogany luan ply. Both are sub-planked (skinned) with Sintra, so build nice and light. The Racer runs great, and I have no reason to think the Hydro won't run well too.

Bottom line, I'd recommend you build the one you like the looks of the best. The builds are so close that one really won't be much easier or tougher to build then the other. Either way, I can just about guarentee you'll have a winner on your hands.

PAT

Quick Reply