Aug 29, 2007, 05:38 PM
One of the complaints about the Dumas Mt Washington is that it is somewhat top-heavy for the narrow and shallow hull. The superstructure comes with embossed panels to go over the wood. It seems to me that replacing much of the wood cabin structure with sintra and applying the embossed paneling to the sintra would greatly reduce the topside weight. Can you get sintra in sheets?

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but still about a Dumas kit.

Pete G.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2007, 06:14 PM
I know that one can buy sintra from 'us plastics'...just haven't looked to see what the minimum order might be
Aug 29, 2007, 06:28 PM
Where's Pamela?
Midwest sells it in about page-size sheets... LHS or Tower.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...EARCH=PVC+foam
Aug 29, 2007, 06:53 PM
WooHoo!
This place sells Sintra by the carton. Colors too...http://store.foamboardsource.com/sin...pvc-board.html
Aug 29, 2007, 07:57 PM
Thread OP

Getting the Skinning Proces Started

The basic hull frame was pretty well finished yesterday, leaving only the sanding and shaping (dirty work) for today before adding the skins. The sub planking is all done using dye cut sections 1mm Sintra. The plates were all glued in using medium Cya.
Aug 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
Where's Pamela?
Pat, tell us you're not going to finish with automotive clear! That stuff is out of reach for most of us without positive pressure moon suits.

Pat M
Aug 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thread OP

Things are Progressing Nicely

The process continues to the second side panel and finally the forward bottom skins. The bottom panels fits real close, so I decided to add 3/4" to the aft end of these panels. They fit as provided, but any misalignment in getting them laid in would have created a problem that would have been tougher to fix then adding a short section.
Aug 29, 2007, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Pat, I might use the Nasan clear coat, but I won't catalyse it. The last time I tried that the finish blushed in direct sunlight. I think there was some kind of adverse reaction between the catalyst and the resin. Without using the catalyst I haven't had any problems.

PAT
Aug 29, 2007, 08:23 PM
Thread OP

Starting on the Top Side

The deck sub-structure consists of several balsa frames to form the curvature in the deck. The cockpit walls and floor went in as part of the framing process. The cockpit walls were stained with Minwax Red Oak oil base stain before they were glued in place. One other nice feature of the light ply is that it stains the same shade as the mahogany, unlike the old luan ply that turned a weird shade of bright orange.

Tomorrow, the last of the deck sub-structure will be laid in, then the skin goes on. It won't be long now before the planking process begins! So far, so good, up to this point, the kit has gone together beautifully.

PAT
Aug 29, 2007, 08:34 PM
Thread OP

And While We're At It

Have a look at what was added to the Dumas web site as a new release on August 3rd. That means it's due up real soon!
http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=693

PAT
Aug 29, 2007, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Have a look at what was added to the Dumas web site as a new release on August 3rd.
I know, I know!!! I'm going to have to figure out how to sneak that one into the house as well!!!

When you talk to them next, Pat, please tell Dumas to keep the C*C's coming!

Looks like you are opting not to seal the interior structure?

Looking great, Pat!
Aug 29, 2007, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Aero, I'm betting these won't be tha last two CC those guys do. I saw the book of all the boats CC offered and I guarentee they'll never run out of possibilities.

I'll seal the interior with several coats of oil based varnish varnish rather then resin. Much easier in the confined spaces, and should look OK too.

Now I guess I'll have to start the snivelling and whining routine to get the review on Super Sport too. I hate to have to resort to those kind of tactics, but you know how it is.

PAT
Aug 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
See, this is what you get when you are a master builder. Free kits and RC gear...

Pat is whom I am jealous of, skilled, lucky dog! LOL!
Aug 30, 2007, 02:50 PM
Aquamaniac
PAT,

You might want to try the Nason again on some test pieces. I used the SelectClear over WEST epoxy on my racing runabout and it still looks great. Any chance the "blush" came from the polishing compound?

Tower says mine has been shipped
Aug 30, 2007, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
D, I've heard some good things about select clear. the first time it blushed it hadn't been polished yet. In the house it looks good, but in direct sunlight it gets progressively worse as the day wares on. Bring it back inside and it fades away again?????????

PAT

Quick Reply