Aug 29, 2007, 05:19 PM
Closed Account
"(I understand that U-NAV claims "wing levelling" but they also disclaim that there system does not employ IMU, thus indicating why people report wing-rocking and issues with wing-levelling on U-NAV system)."

The double negative is throwing me off, so I'm not sure what you meant. I have a couple of UNAV autopilots and the wing rocking is an indication of a poor setup. Once properly installed the PicoPilot is VERY adept at pitch and roll leveling.

Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2007, 05:46 PM
Die noctique
integrated Rx unit sound really good, anything the average bod (me ) can get stick in and fly has got to be a good thing (also good for sales as well I guess ).

Although I'd need the extra channels to use my cameras for shooting stills be great if I had a ship with a simple video setup (camera facing forward only no downlink etc) then the simple version would be ideal.
Aug 29, 2007, 06:27 PM

Re integrated Rx

I believe that you are better off without an integrated Rx. For EU use there are several different frequency ranges used. Even in North America, you can use 72Mhz, 2.4GHz, 27MHz, 53MHz and positive or negative shift along with AM and FM. As well the range and sophistcation of available versions is much greater than you could respond to. Just look at the Berg 4 and 7 Channel Rx. Available with side or end connectors, with or without case. 1 Brand, 2 Rx with 8 variants.

A basic assumption should be that we are talking about a user community that is already familiar with and / or already has RC gear for their jurisdiction. What the community is looking for, regardless of the jurisdiction, is the autopilot that they can connect to their existing RC radio and plane.

I would think that you should not consider a built in RX any more than you should consider shipping a complete ready to fly plane. Focus on the Attopilot which is outside the skill set of many of us, while we focus on the skill set of building and flying, which skillset we do (we hope) have.

There is a conference coming up in our city which I hope to attend to gain insite into the legal, political and market potential of UAVs. See:

www.defsecatlantic.ca

Regards

Jim H
Aug 29, 2007, 06:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockeyes
Could the AttoPilot use PCM type receivers? I have had glance back but cannot see the answer……….Thanks

>Bill
As long as they send pulses to servos that are 'normal'; i.e. they send a 1,000-2,000 microsecond logic pulse at about 50Hz (the 50Hz is not critical)
Aug 29, 2007, 11:19 PM
Smashing Planes since 1982
I will be building a new plane for this project and you mentioned the hobby lobby miss 2. It has a pretty small wing span for what I ultimately want to do. Do you have any other suggestions for planes that could be a standard platform to test from so you have good test results? I want something in the 2 meter area to begin, moving up to a 2.5 - 3.5 meter later.

http://rnrproducts.com/airframes/gliders/xbxc.htm
this is one that is used for another uav project

here is the project
http://soaring.goosetechnologies.com/
Last edited by Tahoe Jmfc; Aug 29, 2007 at 11:41 PM.
Aug 29, 2007, 11:35 PM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _helitron_
By the way, a question to the servo outputs dmgoedde, is the autopilot able to control two aileron servos ? I mean without Y-cable of course, that means two aileron channels into the autopilot from the Rx and two out from the autopilot to the aileron servos (necessary for flaperons for example).

//Erwin
No answer for me, dm ?

//Erwin
Aug 30, 2007, 12:32 AM
I just ordered my Miss 2. Should have it in a few days.
Aug 30, 2007, 06:33 AM
ios
ios
Quote:
By the way, a question to the servo outputs dmgoedde, is the autopilot able to control two aileron servos ? I mean without Y-cable of course, that means two aileron channels into the autopilot from the Rx and two out from the autopilot to the aileron servos (necessary for flaperons for example).

//Erwin
I'm also interested in the ability to use the extra servo outputs for mixing independent servos. I've got several planes with this type of configuration. I use the Hitec Eclipse 7 transmitter which can be programmed to independently control ailerons servos, flaperons , elevons, and v-tail. Other useful options are Aileron-Rudder Mixing.

I'm initially planning to test the Attopilot on the pictured glider, but with Elevon mixing, I could probably fly it in my tailless delta plank (pictured) which I've almost finished.
Aug 30, 2007, 06:58 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Nice planes ios !

My 1st testplatform, the motorglider Cularis needs normally anymore servo outputs because she has not only two aileron servos but also two flap servos, so it's possible to mix ailerons to the flaps to get more roll agility. Due to the lack of servo outputs (need two for pan/tilt) I've in the moment both flap servos connected together with a Y-cable and use it only for the flap function.

//Erwin
Aug 30, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
No answer for me, dm ?

//Erwin
Erwin - it is not part of current firmware, but that IS actually one of the reasons I have a .txt file on SD card that is hand-editable for assignment of the Rx inputs and servo outputs from AttoPilot. What is involved with what you specifically ask, is the ability to reverse one of the two aileron servos...pity to have to do that mechanically when software could do it easily.

Let's focus on that after intital beta testing flushes out any functionality bugs I may have missed, OR is this question critical to your ability to Beta test the AttoPilot?
Aug 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ios
I'm also interested in the ability to use the extra servo outputs for mixing independent servos. I've got several planes with this type of configuration. I use the Hitec Eclipse 7 transmitter which can be programmed to independently control ailerons servos, flaperons , elevons, and v-tail. Other useful options are Aileron-Rudder Mixing.

I'm initially planning to test the Attopilot on the pictured glider, but with Elevon mixing, I could probably fly it in my tailless delta plank (pictured) which I've almost finished.
Implementing elevon mixing won't be any harder, per-se, than implementing two independent aileron outputs. You'll probably have to wait for IMU add-on and firmware re-vamp to fly that flying wing!
Last edited by dmgoedde; Sep 20, 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Aug 30, 2007, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ios

Nice models! The motor glider is exactly what I have in mind for non-IMU AttoPilot.
Aug 30, 2007, 03:33 PM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgoedde
Erwin - it is not part of current firmware, but that IS actually one of the reasons I have a .txt file on SD card that is hand-editable for assignment of the Rx inputs and servo outputs from AttoPilot. What is involved with what you specifically ask, is the ability to reverse one of the two aileron servos...pity to have to do that mechanically when software could do it easily.

Let's focus on that after intital beta testing flushes out any functionality bugs I may have missed, OR is this question critical to your ability to Beta test the AttoPilot?
Hmmmmm, which functions controls Attopilot now in automatic mode ? Rudder (for waypoint sequencing) and elevator (for altitude hold) only or ailerons also ? As you told in the beginning, Attopilot does no wing levelling in the moment, so it's not absolutely necessary to control ailerons, am I right ?

//Erwin
Aug 30, 2007, 04:37 PM
ios
ios
Guys,

I’ve tested the RCAP3/ALTHold on this glider and it’s a great platform. I do realize that stating my desire to fly the beta on the plank was adventurous, but admittedly I wanted to shift the discussion from camera integration (which is a valid application), to the more fundamental issues of flight stability and control of the aircraft by the Attopilot. If through beta testing we can achieve good results in this, we can widen the available platforms we can use for our desired applications.

Thank you for your nice comments. I’m really looking forward to beta testing and providing some useful feedback.

Nick
Aug 30, 2007, 04:42 PM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
I'll also wait for the beta then we'll see the possibilities.

//Erwin

Quick Reply