Dec 30, 2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB
Hi Dean,

I was talking to a helicopter pilot this afternoon at the field. He put a "flybarless" system on his helicopter. This stuff has gyrometers and accelerometers, a sort of IMU.

I am asking myself : would a simple fly-by-wire system be interesting (market) for airplanes ?

For example: the elevator stick becomes a normal acceleration command (body z acceleration) as they have on real figthers. The aileron stick becomes a rate of bank command (roll rate), and when the rate of bank is equal to zero (when the stick is released) then the actual bank angle is kept.
This would allow very clean aerobatics.

You would need the IMU for attitude estimation as well as the z accelerometer (az) input and the rate of bank (p) input as well.
You would need the pitot because all the gains depend upon the dynamic pressure of course. (You want the same roll rate for every airspeed).

You could also have a "rookie mode", such that the bank angle would gradually come back to zero if the aileron stick is released, and the altitude would also settle to a constant value if the elevator stick is released (you would also need the barometric altitude in that case).

The yaw axis would be damped and so the plane would avoid "snaking" (a lot of airplanes experience these oscillations on the dutch roll mode).

What do you think ?

-Paul
Paul,

Thats an interesting thought. I will talk with Dean about this over the next couple weeks. I will be out in AZ with him for 3 weeks. Stay posted for info. This is very similar to ARC mode as pointed out in the below post.

Chris
Last edited by airmcn_3; Dec 31, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2010, 08:09 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Isn't this really ARC mode?
Dec 31, 2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac
Isn't this really ARC mode?
Yes Basically.

Happy New Year!
Last edited by airmcn_3; Dec 31, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Dec 31, 2010, 05:40 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
And to you Chris and the McNair clan!
Dec 31, 2010, 06:25 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB
Hi Dean,

I was talking to a helicopter pilot this afternoon at the field. He put a "flybarless" system on his helicopter. This stuff has gyrometers and accelerometers, a sort of IMU.

I am asking myself : would a simple fly-by-wire system be interesting (market) for airplanes ?

For example: the elevator stick becomes a normal acceleration command (body z acceleration) as they have on real figthers. The aileron stick becomes a rate of bank command (roll rate), and when the rate of bank is equal to zero (when the stick is released) then the actual bank angle is kept.
This would allow very clean aerobatics.

You would need the IMU for attitude estimation as well as the z accelerometer (az) input and the rate of bank (p) input as well.
You would need the pitot because all the gains depend upon the dynamic pressure of course. (You want the same roll rate for every airspeed).

You could also have a "rookie mode", such that the bank angle would gradually come back to zero if the aileron stick is released, and the altitude would also settle to a constant value if the elevator stick is released (you would also need the barometric altitude in that case).

The yaw axis would be damped and so the plane would avoid "snaking" (a lot of airplanes experience these oscillations on the dutch roll mode).

What do you think ?

-Paul
This would be real interesting for Aerial Photography......

Quick Reply