Oct 07, 2009, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg
flight characteristics of the smaller version are good but it climbs on acceleration... should be ablet to fix that with mixing or possibly some up thrust on the motor angle.
In any of the assisted or autonomous modes Atto will handle the up thrust problem. Your UAV doesn't need to be well behaved in flight.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2009, 08:22 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgoedde
Also, whereas I found a need to add pullup resistors on data lines to the XTend adapter, I didn't find the need for them on the XBee adapter.
I was told the same thing by Digi - the Xbees don't need pull up resistors.

Jimmy
Oct 07, 2009, 10:10 PM
here is the link to the Modem tutorial

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post13296185
Oct 11, 2009, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg
Thanks Mecha and thanks Dean, I can't wait to get this up and running. Please post a link to your new thread!

If this fly's well i may be installing atto into it... It is inexpensive and fast to build, so I can beat it to death and not care... flight characteristics of the smaller version are good but it climbs on acceleration... should be ablet to fix that with mixing or possibly some up thrust on the motor angle.

Very cool! Atto should fly that well.
Oct 11, 2009, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer
When he fixes that can he put the AH in the right place please Chris ;-)

Oh and have the option of using the correct units !!!! Pretty please.

Cheers

G

For sailplanes it would also be good to have the most accurate instrument, the piece of string

I will send this exact picture to Jonathan.

Chris
Oct 11, 2009, 06:25 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
I've been putting a lot of time on my Osprey with an Atto V1.8 and really like the way Atto controls the plane. One of the things that I really like is that it has airspeed scheduling to let me control the airspeed vice ground speed. It lets me fly at the most efficient power settings (based on desired airspeed) rather than chasing GPS calculated ground speeds. Here in Kansas we ofter have pretty high winds (20+ KPH) which would play havoc on my planes performance if I was going simply by ground speed.

I can also change the speed between waypoints so I could go to the loiter area fast and then slow to optimum speed for staying over the target area. Pretty neat! Of course it also helps for climbing and descending. Fun to watch the plane descend power off while maintaining my 60KPH cruise speed!

I was also impressed with the stability of the Osprey while shooting video in autonomous flight. You really can't tell how well the autopilot is handling the plane without the video down link. I found that the video was rock steady and no additional tuning was needed.

What's really cool is to watch the plane track directly to the waypoints with the nose pointed almost 45 degrees from the track due to strong cross winds. Winds were 26 MPH that day and 90 degrees from the track (wind from the south with the track running east to west.)

I've flown other autopilots that cost over $5K but found Atto to be the easiest to install and tune. It also has features that are comparable to the high dollar units. Can't wait for the IMU version to come out!

Great job Dean!
Last edited by jtprouty; Oct 11, 2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: cranial rectitus
Oct 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty
I've been putting a lot of time on my Osprey with an Atto V1.8 and have really like the way Atto controls the plane. One of the things that I really like is that it has airspeed scheduling to let me control the airspeed vice ground speed. It lets me fly at the most efficient power settings (based on desired airspeed) rather than chasing GPS calculated ground speeds. Here in Kansas we ofter have pretty high winds (20+ KPH) which would play havoc on my planes performance if I was going simply by ground speed.

I can also change the speed between waypoints so I could go to the loiter area fast and then slow to optimum speed for staying over the target area. Pretty neat! Of course it also helps for climbing and descending. Fun to watch the plane descend power off while maintaining my 60KPH cruise speed!

I was also impressed with the stability of the Osprey while shooting video in autonomous flight. You really can't tell how well the autopilot is handling the plane without the video down link. I found that the video was rock steady and no additional tuning was needed.

What's really cool is to watch the plane track directly to the waypoints with the nose pointed almost 45 degrees from the track due to strong cross winds. Winds were 26 MPH that day and 90 degrees from the track (wind from the south with the track running east to west.)

I've flown other autopilots that cost over $5K but found Atto to be the easiest to install and tune. It also has features that are comparable to the high dollar units. Can't wait for the IMU version to come out!

Great job Dean!

Very nice Jimmy! I am looking forward to getting an Osprey for glider testing.
Oct 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
so over in mecha's xbee installation thread I am having some trouble maybe Chris maybe you could pop over there and see if you can help me out? that would be great!
Oct 22, 2009, 10:36 PM
Dean or Chris what is the latest version of the Atto 1.8 software? Not the GCS the eeprom.

Also, has the pan/tilt feature been activated? Thought Chris said it was, over the V3.0 thread some months ago

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=43
Oct 22, 2009, 11:17 PM
I am not sure what thread to ask this in but I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown on how the google earth window is meant to work.

I installed the google earth for internet explorer addon and now the google earth window comes up but it just shows me the earth from space... I can zoom around etc but it does not show me where I am... I have set home position etc.

Also on a related note I am trying to get goops to read the output com I set in the GCS but can't seem to get it going. I have messed about with the modem emulator but honestly being semi non brilliant at this stuff I am likely just doing it wrong.
Oct 23, 2009, 02:57 AM
Video is using too much bandwidth, removed it.
Last edited by carguy84; Oct 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Video is using too much bandwidth, removed it.
Nov 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
This thread has been quite for too long, time to bring it back up.

I am working on my new aircraft, and since I am doing all in SolidWorks 2007, I decided to also do some Atto components. It may have been easier to ask Dean for them, but it was faster for me to just do it.

The dimensional accuracy is within my eyesight, my ability to use the calipers and some guessing.

I will do the other boards as well. Let me know if any of you are interested in the files.
Last edited by Mecha; Nov 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Nov 21, 2009, 09:57 PM
ha, wow, at the thumbnail size, I was like, damn those are some pretty professional photos!
Nov 22, 2009, 12:08 AM
Now I need to start putting things together

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84
ha, wow, at the thumbnail size, I was like, damn those are some pretty professional photos!
Yeah, what make it look good are the stickers, without them, they're just ugly
Last edited by Mecha; Nov 22, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Nov 22, 2009, 08:40 AM
Darn it Mecha!
I also have SolidWorks 2007 but can't get my models nearly as smooth as yours. My edges turn out jagged even though I have the resolution set to high. So when I save as a tif, the picture looks lousy.
How do you get your non-orthogonal edges smooth?

Quick Reply