Baseball bats - RC Groups
Aug 26, 2007, 06:43 AM
Discussion

Baseball bats

O.K. it's time to get the baseball bats out! Yes, this is in the right forum. The one by, for, and about aficionado's of UAVs.
A triumph of might over right? Homeland Defense strikes again?
Or some brainwashed, bigoted and just plain iggerant complainer who has master minded the deletion of an interesting thread? Come on now, 'fess up, lets see if you fear the opinions of your peers as much as the folks whose oil you have been exploiting for so long.(You know, the worms who have turned, the sheep who have bared their teeth at the wolf).Get my drift?
What's that you say? "Don't rock the boat!" If you can't swim, don't go out on the water!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2007, 10:43 AM
Chris Anderson
Do you mean why Amir's thread has been removed from this forum? I agree. I think whoever moved it needs to explain to all of us what the reason was.

I say this as the guy who started all the trouble by talking (on my own blog) about my mixed feeling on the post. But I (and the hundreds of slashdot commentors) eventually came down on the side of helping Amir, not censoring him, regardless of what anyone in Washington might say.

So I second Macboffin's question. Who took the unilateral decision to banish Amir and why?
Aug 26, 2007, 07:59 PM
Just because your government has issues with the iranian government, why should you have a problem with its citizens... they are exactly like us after all.

Amir was sharing his system and experience.. isn't that what freedom and a global community is all about?
Aug 27, 2007, 03:17 AM
I agree with You!

"whoever moved it needs to explain to all of us what the reason was"

This forum will loose a lot of credibility if thing like this happens without explanation.

/Magnus, Stockholm, Sweden
Aug 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
N2EC

Amir's Post

Agreed...there should be an explanation, after all its supposed to be a public and independant forum. By the same token, I should expect that my posts would be bumped off or I would be banned from posting because I am from India in the event that the much deliberated 123 Agreement between India and the US falls through.
Aug 27, 2007, 01:42 PM
as noted, he crossposted in a batch of forums. There is still a thread in modeling science last I looked.

I saw a one line news story about how an American teacher had been arrested for helping build a UAV. I should have kept the link, and now it's impossible to find the story. I don't know why, but when a teacher gets arrested, the story is always on the same page as a story about UAV's.
Last edited by Unterhausen; Aug 27, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Aug 27, 2007, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterhausen
as noted, he crossposted in a batch of forums. There is still a thread in modeling science last I looked.

I saw a one line news story about how an American teacher had been arrested for helping build a UAV. I should have kept the link, and now it's impossible to find the story. I don't know why, but when a teacher gets arrested, the story is always on the same page as a story about UAV's.
SShhh! They must have missed the modelling science post! Be interesting to see if that now goes!
Aug 27, 2007, 04:18 PM
There was an ask slashdot question about whether the post should B removed, and being the institutional zombies they are, the Americans probably said, "well if slashdot questions something, we should remove it" without actually thinking about it themselves.

This whole issue of hiding RC technology from other countries sounds like a bunch of sore losers. Now that their military has been beaten, they're saying "if we can't win, then no-one else should be able to win." Well despite their sore losing and fake export restrictions, someone is going 2 win the war on terror and they won't be Americans.
Aug 28, 2007, 03:52 AM
It's all fun till Crunch!
Here it is, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=swing+wing

but who did the " A warning has been issued for this post. Warning type: Cross-posting " Warning and moved the thread, and removed Amir's original post?

I thought JIm Bourke owned this site, is he a bigot or flaming something or other?

Now the real stuff; UAV technology has been around for about 20 years(for small, cheap, short range), and most militaries that can afford it, have it. Same goes for Cruise Missiles, bombs, cannons, guns, spy in the sky, you name it, it's been done, being done, will be done, etc.
Our toy airplanes can't cary enough C-4 (it that a secret coumpound?) or go far enough to be used in any meaningful military way. And the operators need a high degree of skill & experience to do any flights successfully anyway.

Now about taking pictures from little airplanes. Why would that be against "HomeLess Security" policy? Full sized civil aircraft take pictures every day, still, FMV, IR, you name it. They even use civilian Satalites! Just because the average beer slobering, TV watching, un-thinking American does't know about these things doesn't mean they're not going on. And just because it's a slow News day, why does everyone get up in arms because some air-head reporter does an un-reaschearched story on someting.

the real question is who moved the thread, why, and why no note on where it went to? And why was Amir's post removed?

That's what I really want to know,

Wayne
Last edited by Capt. Crunch; Aug 28, 2007 at 04:24 AM.
Aug 28, 2007, 06:59 AM

Beaten military?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Crossfire
There was an ask slashdot question about whether the post should B removed, and being the institutional zombies they are, the Americans probably said, "well if slashdot questions something, we should remove it" without actually thinking about it themselves.

This whole issue of hiding RC technology from other countries sounds like a bunch of sore losers. Now that their military has been beaten, they're saying "if we can't win, then no-one else should be able to win." Well despite their sore losing and fake export restrictions, someone is going 2 win the war on terror and they won't be Americans.
What do you mean by "Now their military has been beaten".Are you confusing Iraq and Iran? There has been no conflict with Irans military ; the last conflict they had was with Iraq, and they won! Which is more than seems to be happening in Iraq now. As to "The war on Terror" no doubt you are referring to the knee-jerk response to 9/11, aimed at Iraq, when it should have been aimed at Saudi Arabia, that's where the perpetrators came from!
Plus heads should have rolled at the FAA and FBI, since the guys trained at flight schools in America!
Aug 28, 2007, 03:03 PM
Closed Account
Mac... That was an amazingly accurate outline... The US military invasion force is pretty damn effective. However, we make crappy "World Police".

Speaking of World Police, no political discussion can be complete without a viewing of "Team America: World Police". Razing Paris to save it from the terrorists is funny because it so sums up American foreign policy. Still as superpowers go, I rather like the way things are.

Jeff
Aug 28, 2007, 04:05 PM
just because it's unreasonable doesn't mean that Americans aren't expected to treat Iranians as enemies. To do otherwise is to risk being prosecuted under the laws regarding material support of terrorists. It's a sad state of affairs, call your congressman and tell him to do something about it. We can't live in fear of shadows, that's not what this country is all about.
Aug 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterhausen
just because it's unreasonable doesn't mean that Americans aren't expected to treat Iranians as enemies. To do otherwise is to risk being prosecuted under the laws regarding material support of terrorists. It's a sad state of affairs, call your congressman and tell him to do something about it. We can't live in fear of shadows, that's not what this country is all about.
Unfortunately that's what the Aggresion (Ooops!) Defence Industry is about
Aug 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macboffin
Unfortunately that's what the Aggresion (Ooops!) Defence Industry is about
I think they go with the "The best defense is offense" idea. Pitty this applies to sports and not to international relations.
Aug 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
Boy, this is getting dangerously close to a political discussion!

So I would like to point out that it takes two sides to have a war. I think it would be great if we could resolve all our aggressions out on the football pitch, and go buy each other a beer afterwards. Unfortunately we've got both sides trying to blow each other up, and one side just trying to blow anything and everything up.

I'm very anti-war myself, but I see there are two active and willing participants in this war. I'd like to see the same amount of criticism (much of which I feel is valid) applied equally to both sides. Unfortunately if you live "over there" and say the wrong thing, you don't live very long, so most of the criticism we do see is against the USA.

Curt.