Aug 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Yippee!

New Slope soaring possibility in the DFW area!

For a few weeks, Richard Ng and I have been eyeing this lovely trash mountain just north of I-30, and just a few miles west of west Loop 820, between Fort Worth and Weatherford.

It is about 3000 feet wide on the north and south slopes and about 1000 feet wide on the east and west slopes. The only wart on this place is a large and tall metal shed south of the west end of the south face....this looks like it will set up a wicked wad of turbulence on that end of the south facing slope. There would still be a couple of thousand feet of slope not downwind of the building, looks like. Otherwise, the approaches are gently rolling ranchland in every direction, promising some smooth lift.

It turns out that the waste management company that is operating this area is about to close this trash pile, finish the seeding and move on. They are interested in talking to people about using this as a slope soaring site....like the one in Miami, Fl.

This same waste management company has set up another local R/C club with a flying site in the Weatherford area...a full fledged R/C field on the top of ANOTHER trash mountain......which is also soarable according to all reports....

I want to put together a small group of locals to do a demo for the waste management folks in about 60 days and perhaps secure this location for slope soaring use ona regular basis. Consideration is being given to creating a very basic AMA chartered club with CHEAP dues to develop this site. The Waste Management folks like the idea of AMA insurance.

More as it develops. If you live in the Metroplex, in North Texas or are willing to drive to the west side of FW to slope from whereever you live, respond to the thread and we will make a list of all that are interested.

Hope to hear from you. Pictures will be posted ASAP.
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 24, 2007 at 08:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2007, 12:16 AM
Sounds like an exciting proposition. I hope you guys can make it happen.

ian
Aug 24, 2007, 01:13 AM
Dave Massongill
dude if it happens I will come fly every christmas break when I visit the in laws in Fort worth. Go for it!!!!!!!

Dave Massongill
Aug 24, 2007, 04:53 AM
There is a guy with the AMA, I believe its Joe Beshar, that works with Waste Management to get these sites for us to fly on. Might be worth a call.
Aug 24, 2007, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
There is a guy with the AMA, I believe its Joe Beshar, that works with Waste Management to get these sites for us to fly on. Might be worth a call.
Joe was very knowledgable and helped us with access to a landfill site in Atlanta, Ga! Send me an email if you'd like to see the user agreement that we came up with...

Waste Management is a good outfit and RC soaring fits well with their goals for capped landfills...

Good Luck!

Spencer
Sep 09, 2007, 02:06 PM
Lost in the Sky

New Slope Site Pictures

Here are some pictures of the possible new slope site just east of Weatherford, Texas. It is located on the north side of IH 30 between Weatherford and Fort Worth, Texas Loop 820 after Exit 1B from either direction.

Richard Ng
Dec 05, 2019, 12:26 AM
Still practicing the "save"
It’s been a while since the last post... did anything become of this as a site?

Any good sloping in the DFW area?

Mo
Dec 05, 2019, 01:39 AM
Lost in the Sky
Nothing ever happened with it. There is very little sloping in Texas, much less good sloping. There are many places that look good, but they are on private property and you might as well be looking at a picture of Torrey Pines. Tom and I once flew off a landfill north of Dallas. It was not worth doing again.
Dec 05, 2019, 09:56 AM
Still practicing the "save"
Thank you for the response... good thing I do more than just slope... it will be missed though.

Mo
Dec 06, 2019, 09:54 AM
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
Bummer. I miss sloping too.
Dec 06, 2019, 10:06 AM
Funny, when I posted in this thread I was looking at moving to Texas. I actually found a few slopes in the Corpus Christi area.

Then I gave up and moved to a place with amazing slope options.
Dec 11, 2019, 02:14 PM
And Repairs
Richard, If it’s worth talking to Waste Management again, I’d be happy to help however I can.
I’ve flown at the Lewisville site a few times with SLNT too. Hopefully the south facing Weatherford site would be a bit better.
Just let me know if there’s an angle to pursue.
Ty
Dec 19, 2019, 05:46 PM
Lost in the Sky
Ty,

You are welcome to pursue it. Tom and I were too busy to deal with it then and it looked for a while like the WAMS were going to go for it but nothing came of that.

You might talk to the Lewisville flyers or SLNT people who got the Lewisville arrangement since they have already done what you are trying to achieve.

Good luck,

Richard
Dec 19, 2019, 06:16 PM
Lost in the Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by motowncali
Thank you for the response... good thing I do more than just slope... it will be missed though.

Mo
Mo,

Welcome to Texas.

If you got to keep your California salary, you will find your money will go a lot farther here than it did in CA. Housing is comparatively cheap here and you should be able to easily get by with a single mortgage. If you go to Austin, you will find its prices like CA because of its high tech businesses, high quality of life rating, and large numbers of Californians who landed there and found it a "bargain" compared to back home.

As far as non slope gliding, all my gliders except DLGs have motors. I traumatized the Alula slope crowd by putting a motor on mine and probably had more flight hours on my E-lula than any other until it specked out thermalling with a buzzard on a CAVU day. It is the plane in my avatar. I have used the motors to get me to and back from otherwise inaccessible dams or slope sites, but really haven't found anything worth going back for. If you try to slope off dam faces, be aware that many of those are considered off limits and should you encroach on the wrong one, you may find that you were being observed and may have to talk with some people you didn't necessarily want to meet.

Richard
Dec 19, 2019, 08:31 PM
And Repairs
A few of us from SLNT tried sloping the dam on Ray Roberts Lake near Denton 3 or 4 years ago. We got chased off pretty quickly. Had an officer in a truck on the road on top of the dam and one at the bottom — just in case we made a run for it, I guess.
Figured it was 9/11 issues, but they were talking about the danger of a foot trail causing erosion on the earthen dam.
I’m not a thermal competitor by the way, just show up for a fun fly every now and then.

Quick Reply