Aug 22, 2007, 12:37 PM
Build Log

Lancaster from Ivan's plans

OK it's started. Not sure what I'm getting into here; doing a build log, but here goes.

First off Ivan's plans are 1/12 scale; giving a wingspan of 103" and 70" long.

Couple of notes here. I was thinking a big Lancaster; with 4 gas engines would be kinda cool. However the cost of 4 Zenoah G-23's and the shear size that the model would grow into; that idea as cool as it would be is beyond me at this time; and most likely always will be.

However as not to kill the dream; I thought I could do one a little smaller. Enter Ivan's plans:
Not so sure that I want a 100" electric airplane. (OK that was a while ago for those who know me) And I thought about building it 1/2 the size of Ivan's plans. After discussing this idea here; and with Martin Hunter about a year ago, I decided that if it was built at 70% of Ivan's original drawings it would end up with close to the same wing area as Martin's ANT-20; and might be able to be flown indoors, with GWS IPS drives. Oh; and the 9x7 3 blade props are made for it in this size.
So here's the plan:
I was going to try and keep the all up weight 2lbs or less.
4 GWS Dual IPS drives "A" ratio 2 cell Li-Poly
9x7 3 blade props.
I figure that if a GWS "A" drive is happy swinging a 9x7 prop switch out to the dual motor and add a blade. And if I find that I need more power I could go with 3 cells and "B" or "C" ratio. Test flight will tell.
Rick
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2007, 03:39 PM
Count me signed up for this one... and I also added it to the Ivan's build threads list.

That is an interesting arrangement with the split fuse. How does the wing attach - does it bolt in between the two fuse halves, or slide in on rods or something?

If you can manage to fly this one indoors that will be quite a sight. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Luke
Aug 22, 2007, 08:37 PM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
Count me signed up for this one.
Ditto!

This is what I have in mind for my Lanc.

Perry
Aug 22, 2007, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
Ditto!

This is what I have in mind for my Lanc.

Perry
On a related note, this story involving a Lancastrian was a famous mystery for half a century -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stendec

oc88(Bill)
Aug 22, 2007, 11:12 PM
Nice looking fuse so far Rick.

Colin
Aug 23, 2007, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoot88
On a related note, this story involving a Lancastrian was a famous mystery for half a century
Thanks Old Coot, that was interesting reading. I love stories like that.

Luke
Aug 23, 2007, 03:46 AM
Student of Ivan
Rick,

Great thread! I'm on as well.

John
Aug 23, 2007, 06:25 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Rick,
I've been watching since you first posted yesterday. One of my favorites subjects. If built at 100% of the plan size are the canopies and blisters available? I've been planning on doing one at 1/16th scale this winter. Have you chosen a paint scheme yet?
Mike
Aug 23, 2007, 10:33 AM
Oh no, not again!
Delighted to watch your build. I am currently part way through a GAD foam Lancaster, a bit smaller than yours (1/20). I like the way the fuse splits. That is ingenious. Subscribed.

Regards, Jeff
Aug 23, 2007, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Rick,
I've been watching since you first posted yesterday. One of my favorites subjects. If built at 100% of the plan size are the canopies and blisters available? I've been planning on doing one at 1/16th scale this winter. Have you chosen a paint scheme yet?
Mike
Mike:
I don't know of a source for the canopy or blisters; built the size that Ivan drew.
I also have Ivan's plans for the Mosquito; for that airplane he built the canopy frame; and then covered it with clear iron-on film. Although he doesn't say for sure; there are a couple of canopy frame drawings for the Lancaster.
If you know of a source for 1/16 scale canopy / blisters please let me know as they would work here.
Rick
Aug 24, 2007, 03:13 AM
You made that out of trees?
No, I don't think you are crazy wanting to build an indoor Lancaster. Watch out for the ARF brigade though ! Mine was VERY light with 4 tiny motors from the GWS B2 bomber on 7 nicad cells. - John.
Aug 24, 2007, 04:18 AM
My ten-year-old Lancastrian.

62" span........4 dd Speed 400........
Aug 29, 2007, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterangus
My ten-year-old Lancastrian.

62" span........4 dd Speed 400........
That looks pretty good for a 10 year old airplane.
Rick.
Aug 29, 2007, 01:49 PM

update time

OK guys; Here goes:
On the plans there is no template for the vertical fin; or the rudder. However there is an end view, on the plan view for the horizontal stab. The plan shows making the vertical fin and rudder using parts as you can see on the plan. I chose to make a bow and add the ribs. The only way I could see to make the rudder and fin ribs was to cut just glue them in and then shape them with sand paper as an assembly.
Ok now for some pic's.
Rick

Quick Reply