This thread is privately moderated by MPP, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 22, 2007, 10:28 AM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Thread OP
Discussion

No fear of foam but busting balsa?

I started in this hobby with a Epp foam plane and beat the heck out of it until I learned to fly. I then moved on to the GWS faomies that are cheap and fly well. As I have taken on new challenges in this hobby I find myself in a bit of a quandary. I have built a couple of balsa kits and have put quite a bit of time into them. Of two Guillows balsa kits one is flying and the other is in pieces. I also built a Lazar arts P-51 Mustang and had one flight on it and I was lucky to get it down in one piece. My latest project is a Warbirdkits.com Yak 9 that I have put some good time into and is ready to maiden.

I am finding that my Mustang is becoming a hanger queen as I don’t want to risk loosing the time spent building it. At the same time I built it to fly and with all the fixes it should fly well. I keep meaning to bring it to the field but I come up with excuses. My Yak 9 I also have put some time into it and I am just waiting for a perfect day to give it a go. I had a nice tall grass field to maiden but they mowed it last week. Now I need to rethink sending her off over short grass.

I would not be thinking so much about this if I was about to maiden a foam bird that you put together in a couple of hours. Oh well I will have to turn them into the wind and trust my building skills.

Update 8/23/07 Maiden Successful very happy. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=35

Mpp
Last edited by MPP; Aug 23, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2007, 11:51 AM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
I bought a built Super Impress II and have to admit, balsa flies better. It crashed once when the firewall gave way and let the motor go through the cowl, but it really did not get much damage. Go for it!
Aug 22, 2007, 12:30 PM
MPP
MPP
Thread OP
I will, Iwill, thanks for the encouragement. I know they will fly.... just preflight jitters that's all.
Aug 23, 2007, 01:43 PM
MPP
MPP
Thread OP
Quote:
Go for it!
Well i did and the Yak 9 flew great. Pretty happy about that. Now to get the Mustang back in the air.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=35

Thanks again,

M

Quick Reply