Nov 20, 2002, 06:37 PM
Thread OP

Wings FOLDED in flight on SLOWSTICK!

I was out flying my Slowstick today and was having a blast. Flew inverted for a few seconds and into a loop a few times. On my next battery did a loop and the wing FOLDED dropping the plane frm about 100 feet right on the nose. This lso bent the fuse just in front of the leeding edge of the wing.
Does anyone know how to strenghten the wing and keep it from folding? The problem was that the aluminum pieces on the leeding and trailing edge of the wing broke.
Thanks,
Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2002, 08:47 PM
did you use epoxy and tape to hold on the
alum tube and fiberglass rod's.the fuse can be
straitened up,when you do that just leave a
littel down & right thrust in it, it while fly better.
Nov 20, 2002, 08:54 PM

Same thing almost happened to me...

but I caught the crack (actually heard it while pulling a tight loop). I filled in the wing gaps with epoxy and micro balloons then used packing tape to reinforce the dihedral on the top of the wing and strapping tape (with the fibers). So far so good. The crack has not spread any further. Numerous inverted, outside and inside loops, spirals, etc...
Good luck!
Nov 20, 2002, 08:57 PM

One more thing

I added down and right thrust on my SS (whittled a piece of balsa and then taped and zip tied to the aluminum fuse). It now only climbs on full power and does not porpoise. It also alleviates that annoying habit of the SS to drop it's nose when powering down from a climb. It's much easier to fly up close and low also...
Nov 20, 2002, 09:22 PM
razor burn can be good
this may sound extreme but what i did after folding my wing was to cut 2 peices of 1/8" steel piano wire about 2 1/2" in length then bent them into V's

then i filed the backs flat so the rods from the ss would sit on them nice

then i wrapped kevlar fishing line around the whole the mess and hit it with thin CA my wing is now bullet proof and i can sling around an8 cell AA nimh 1800 mah pack (tx pack size)that keeps me in the air at WOT for 1/2 hour
Nov 20, 2002, 09:45 PM
When the wings folded on mine it wasnt because of the actual wing, but when I pulled up the aluminum bracing actually snapped on the back of the wing, which cause the back to fold and it to do a wierd cartwheel-in-air spin..

GForce
Nov 20, 2002, 10:09 PM
I don't have a Slowstick ( yet ) but the same thing happened on my new, stronger Mini-Max wingset. It came with an aluminum tube joiner to hold the wing-rods into that v-dihedral shape. After a few windy day flights my aluminum tube joiner failed just like yours did. So, I went to the LHS and found some brass tubing of the same diameter, the brass is stronger. It's still holding up !!
Nov 21, 2002, 10:11 PM
You cant go wrong with this plane. Sure, it doesnt look as good as a tigermoth or one of the sleek balsa kits, but when you hit trees and fenses and the ground, you're going to appreciate I said this. By the way, when my wings folder and I walked away with the plane in perfect condition.

GForce

Quick Reply