Aug 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

6" F-18 hornet

Hi,

A year ago I was experimenting with a 6" F-18 Hornet, but I abandoned that project because I had some range problems with my IR setup. Now that I've been enhancing my IR setup, I took up that project again and made a new 6" F18 Hornet with some lessons learned from my previous experiments.

Here are some specs:
  • Koichi IR rx (diff. thrust)
  • selitac wings
  • durabatics vertical stabs
  • 5mm wallfoam core fuse and 2mm wallfoam side panels
  • PiccoZ props
  • 4mm 18 Ohm pagers
  • 50mAh LiPo
  • acryl paint
  • Tissue with yellow color from inkjet
  • 5.5 grams
  • 6" wingspan

I tested it at dusk - because there was almost no wind - and it seems to fly. I can steer left and right and it keeps aloft at a bit more then 1/2 throttle. I have to steer it very gently though, as it can easily get into a spiral. However, I have the impression that it is rather stable in flight. Real tests will be conducted once the indoor season starts again in October ;-)

For trimming I put both motors at the same distance from the fuse. Both motors induce a drift to the right. So I let the prop at the right point down and the prop at the left point up. This will cause a upward thrust vector at the right side and a vertical downward thrust at the left side. This seems to be sufficient to compensate for the motor torque...

Some pictures below.

regards,
Johan
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
Nice work Johan! Only 2 more months till october! Can't wait!
Aug 19, 2007, 02:42 PM
Inciting Riots
Why did you choose the 18 ohm motors? Do they provide more thrust than the 10 ohm motors?
Aug 19, 2007, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
yrn1: Long time to wait ;-)

Village_idiot: That is what I had lying in my drawers... I would guess that the 'hotter' 10 Ohm wind would give more power...

Johan
Aug 19, 2007, 05:31 PM
Inciting Riots
Good, that is what I was hoping when I ordered them the other night.

BTW, I ordered some upgraded tail props for the ITC Micro Mosquito, they look very much like the PiccooZ props, but you can actually buy them as a part (not cheap though). Once they get in and I have a chance to try them, a review will show up in here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728851 or in a separate thread.
Aug 19, 2007, 09:52 PM
Mach 2 with hair on fire!
Dude, nice work! Try this one in that scale.
F-4, 10 in long, 7 in wing span. AUW 14.6 g. Differental thrust.

Quick Reply