Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by ssyv
Discussion

Airsail "HERON"

I am still stocking an Airsail "Heron" kit after a visit to NZ about 20 years ago, but now I am considering it for the "autumn project". Does anyone have first hand experience with the model ? Building - modifications - engine - flying etc? The dihedral looks excessive and the wing location and mounting rail a bit strange. I'm living in Norway and the Heron has travelled far already.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by johnvb
I assume you mean the 'Heron Gas Buggy'.

I built one a few years back. The dihedral is probably fine for low powered free-flight, but too much for the size of the tail-group with normal RC size engines. I flew mine with a number of different engines: -
. PAW .049 - not enough power
. PAW .09 - throttled but too much at wide open throttle
. Gilbert .07 - barely enough
. Taipan Tyro - way too much power.

The model is easy to build if you are used to the old-timer style construction. The floppy undercarriage I replaced with single legs of slightly heavier wire. There is plenty of room for RC gear. The airfoil is undercambered and quite high lift. The model flies *very* slowly. As I recall the plan etc with the kit does not show an R/C installation, in fact the instructions are the original 1938 version.

It depends on what you want from the model. If you are happy with authentic old-timer style performance I would leave the kit pretty much as is. If you want a model to 'putt around' I would reduce the dihedral slightly, replace the under-carriage, and pack up the back trailing edge of the wing a bit to stop it zooming up at any speed above walking pace. If you are powering with an IC engine I would use a throttle .09 glow of some sort, Enya or OS LA10. I believe a PAW .06 diesel would be enough.

Enjoy the model. It's one I plan to build again for puttering around.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by ssyv
Thank you for the input. I have a PAW 06 with throttle which I will try -
"putt around" may definitively be the right flying style for this model.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Airsail recommend a 1 cc - 2.5cc for it. (see their web site)