This thread is privately moderated by Chachi639, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 15, 2007, 12:00 PM
Link

Hand Launch Links - Updated

This handlaunch link thread was inspired by (and originated from) Adam Neat's Hand Launch Info thread. Thanks Adam for the great idea! The list has evolved due to helpful suggestions from RCGroups users: please let me know of additions, dead links, or errors.

I’m trying to keep the list short enough to be meaningful and useful. Therefore, I'm listing only only suppliers, build logs, plans, building supplies or reference materials related to handlaunch / discus-launched RC gliders. New links/recent changes are highlighted with a big red *New* or *Updated* etc. "Source code" of this post, and my reasons for archiving it, are at this link.

Thanks,
Hal

Legend: Colors denote Kit or Scratchbuild, all others are ARF

Handlaunch Planes:

Airfoils Thread ; Links to the Edge, Synergy, Zone, and Zone V2 (corrections welcome)
ArmSoar ; Neos; US and Canadian Distributor of TopSky, JJEdge: Asia distributor of Steigeisen, Flow 5, and Ultegra as well
Art Hobby ; Nice selection of HLG's
BLH ; ASPI 97 (in French)
Bowman's Hobbies; Javelin
Bug Yahoo Group; Bug
Canterbury Sailplanes ; Eagle
Charles River RC; Online plans for the SuperGee II, Apogee, Terminator HLG
Claus Thiele Modellbau ; Falke, Keibitz, Milan, Weihe, and others (in German)
CLM-Pro ; Trotter
CS Flugmodellbau ; KiSal
Crazy Canuck Gliders ; Vortex
[Dave's Aircraft Works; Hosted by SkyKing RC Products; Dragonette, Schweizer 1-26
Davy; Scratchbuilt micro-HLG plans in DXF format - dead link as of late 2016 *Updated*
Decker Planes; Spinnin Birdy (in German)
DeX SAL ; DeX 0.77m SAL
DJ Aerotech; Chrysalis traditional built up HLG. Also their "Ask D&J" has lots of good info.
Dr. Chucho; Dr. Chucho SAL Glider
Dream Flight; Libelle
Dyne-o-mite; Dyne-o-Mite 1M SAL Glider
Edge; RC Groups thread on the Edge Airfoil series - refer to the top post for links to designs buried deeper in the thread
Edge RC ; MiSAL
Enduro Composite Models ; Apogee Elite, Apogee Sport; Link is apparently dead as of 8/12
European Top Planes; Tweagle *New*
Falken ; RC Groups Thread on the Falken
Flightcomp ; Latigo, Neo, Zen
f3x ; SALpeter, Aspirin, RAD2 and Stobel
graham1234's planes : Designs by RCG user graham1234: Storm, Blackjack, Karisma,
Great Planes ; Fling DL
HJZ ; Predator II
HKM ; Concept Xtreme 2, 3, 4
HobbyKing ; Versus, Apollo 1550, Mini
Hobby Club ; Long Shot, Top Sky Series
Hokusei model shop ; Chinese Mini DLGs similar to Apogee Sport
Hyperflight ; EU supplier of the Vladimir's Models incl. Blaster, Elf, Longshot, Fireworks
ICare ; Osiris, Gladiator, Absalut, Sofia
Icarus; Icarus 1.2m DLG
Isthmus Models; Zephyr traditional built-up HLG, others
Jones' Prototypes ; Vandal - Link is dead as of 1/14
Kennedy Composites ; Blaster 2, Blaster 3, Blaster 3 ST, Elf, Snipe
Liftworx ; Swyft - No longer taking orders as of May 2013
Little Nipper Yahoo Group; Grandfather of the Seeker / Swyft
Manta; RC Groups Thread on the Manta - built-up Drela DLG
Merlin Hobbies ; Ice Fire II reseller - dead link as of mid-2016
Mistra
MiMi
Miniplumes ; Topset II
MM Glider Tech; Merlin, Illusion: balsa HLGs in the $50 price range
Modelflight ; AUS supplier of Long Shot
Modellflug-Technik ; K-wing
Modellbau Bichler ; EU supplier of Horejsi Joy and Longshot II, Valenta Apache, Huron and Baby Fly
Momentum Model Technologies ; Arctus, Polaris
The MONSTR Shop; US Distributor of TopSky - dead link as of mid-2016
Mountain Models/Laser Arts; Boomer, Quickflick II kit and short kit, DL-50, Supergee II short kit (templates), Spinner XT EPP Kit
Nano
http://nqrc.com/; Quickflick Kits, plus DLG onboard electronics solutions: apparently closed
Oleg Golovidov ; Validol, Stream, Flitzebogen, Flitz2, Stream NXT
Pacific Glider Works ; Arrow 5 and Arrow Pro 5
PCM ; Fireworks, Flow
Peak Hobby ; Binary, Binary 900 and Ice Fire II Manufacturer *Updated*
Possum Works ; Avenger 3
QSC; QSC 32 inch (80cm) SAL
RC Builder ; Lighthawk, Lightspeed, Blade, Razor - dead link as of late 2016 *Updated*
Rocky Mountain Soaring Association ; Old school javelin HLGs "Aspen Leaf" and "Soarcerer"
Skip Miller Models ; Ultegra, Steigeisen, Super Freak
Sklep Modelarski Exspert ; Pulsar, Mistral, Orion
Skybench Aerotech; Lil' Bird, Sunbird
SkyHighHobby ; Micro 21"
SMT Solinske Modelltechnik ; YASAL
SoaringUSA ; Solo, Tabu, X-ray, Bat, Gladiator II, Spin, Fireworks, Steigeisen, Stobel, etc
Spritz ; Spritz Molded DLG
Stratair ; Bat, Chili F3K, Risk, Steigeisen, Ultegra, and X-Ray Micro. In German
Steelhead Products; Fry and Fry MKII ; Link is apparently dead as of 8/12
Tralla la; Tralla la 80cm DLG
Top Soaring ; Top Sky 2.0 and Mini Top Sky Manufacturer
TUD Modelltechnik ; Manufacturer of Aspirin and SALPeter
Twister
YPSI; Fenix (in Czech)
Wright Brothers RC; Gambler AG
Zaerotech ; Zip 33 -

Building Supplies:

Aerospace Composite Products
AeroMarine Products; Resins
Aircraft Spruce; Full scale aircraft supply but has lots of stuff a hobbyist could use
AMT Composites; South African Composites Supplier
Balsa USA
Cheap Battery Packs
Clarasonic; US and China Supplier of Rohacell
Composite Structures Technology (CST)
Compufoamcore; CNC foam cutting by Laszlo Horvath
Core Cutting; CNC foam cutting by RCG user Traian
Discount Composite
Fiberglass Supply
FibreGlast
Goodwinds Kites; Tailbooms
Hilaunch; Reflective tape, hinge tape
Lonestar Balsa; Back in business as of 2/2009, dead link as of mid-2016
National Balsa
Soller Composites
Stealth Plane Works; CNC foam cutting by Anker Berg-Sonne
Sweet Composites
Thayercraft; Glass Cloth
US Composites

Reference/How-to/Inspirational:

Everything; SensibleNick's "Everything" thread - references to lots of how-to
Airfoil Programs Thread
FAI; Contest rules
Fiberglassing without vacuum; Wax Paper / Weights method for tails
Foam Properties
How to Transport your Handlaunch; Links to examples of transport boxes
Molding / Bagging Threads
Polecat Handlaunch University
Radio Carbon Art; Videos on building and flying handlaunch
Radio Controlled Soaring Digest; Check out the Archives especially March-October 2006 which documented the build process for Maple Leaf's Encore
Reese Productions; Lift Ticket videos
SAL Glider Yahoo Group; Good historical info but activity there all but ended in 2007
SuperGee Thread; Go here to get a full education on building and flying foam-core composite DLGs, centered around Mark Drela's seminal design, the SuperGee.
Switchjacks; SwitchJack and Wiring Harness Links
Tailwind Gliders; Calc tools and instructional vids
Vacuum Bagging and Molding; Phil Barnes Techniques
Last edited by Chachi639; Jun 01, 2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Updated links
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2013, 04:36 PM

List Maintenance

I continue to receive excellent pointers to links to add, and with this help the list continues to grow! This list has continued to evolve largely due to the collaboration of so many RC Groups members. Thanks everyone for your help.

I've been maintaining the top post with all the current information. Followup posts, after the link suggestions have been added to the list, I've been pruning out of the thread after letting them stand for a few weeks or if a flurry of comments starts to stack up. I hope that no one takes offense at that, I'm just trying to keep things quick n' clean.

An additional note: after a few days, I'm also going to be pruning out posts containing reviews, criticisms, complaints, or praise of various vendors. I'm trying to keep this thread about listing HLG and DLG models. Instead please take those discussions over to Vendor Talk.

Suggestions for new links are always welcome. Furthermore, notification about bad or obsolete links is very welcome - I no longer check them on any regular basis.

Regards,
Hal
Last edited by Chachi639; Jul 02, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Mar 26, 2014, 04:55 PM
I make planes I want to fly

One man's trash...

I know carbon arrow shafts aren't a new resource, but I was surprised yesterday to learn that you may be able to get some completely FREE, depending on your local archery shop.

I was at MY local archery shop, O.C. Archery, and at first I thought I would have to buy a whole 6-pack of 32" shafts for $38, which isn't a bad deal when you look at price/inch, but I didn't need SIX of them. Then the girl said, "well you can have one of these ..." and she pulled a discarded arrow out of a mixed-bag bucket in the back of the shop. Apparently they have a stash of arrows people give them, because they don't want them for some reason, and they usually donate them to classes or less-fortunate kids learning the sport, but it's basically a bucket of reject-arrows. I asked her what they wanted for them, and she said "nothing". She even heated the tip and removed the aluminum arrowhead-fitting for me! So I ended up with two carbon arrow shafts for ZERO dollars.

So search out your local archery shop, especially if it's locally-owned/non-franchise, and ask if they have a "reject pile" of arrows you could rummage through. Not to say that it's the same everywhere, but you won't know if you don't ask!

And if you're in the So.Cal. area at all, definitely go check out O.C. Archery in either Fountain Valley or Costa Mesa.
Apr 07, 2014, 09:57 AM

JR Airflow

This thread popped up on the front page today.

The JR "Airflow" DLG

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1821611
Apr 08, 2014, 08:10 AM
Winging it >
I'm working on a project in the slope forum called the Fusion. It is a 1.5m sloper with many dlg characteristics... picture a scratch built dlg with all epp flying surfaces.

So far I've used servos that are pretty heavy relative to what is used in most dlg's. I'd like to save some weight and use lighter gear.

I've started compiling a list of servos used in 1.5m dlg's.

1) Has this work on a list of servos been done already?
2) If not I would appreciate help adding other servos and possible other useful attributes to the spread sheet.

Thanks for any help,
Dan
Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 PM
Lift is good

Listing of Competition Level Currently Available?

Any thoughts of developing a listing for this niche? I, for one, am in the market to upgrade and suspect their may be many choices in the market, esp from cottage industry builders. I would, however, want to include an estimate of wait times!
Oct 27, 2015, 06:55 PM
Sky Sheen highly reflective tape
http://newcreations-rc.com/ProductLi...lection=search
Nov 02, 2015, 10:08 PM
Me, I'd rather fly.
Discus Launch Gliders list with weights, wing loads, airfoil spec, prices and dealers' links
http://www.noerskov.eu/dlg.html

Sorted on price:
http://www.noerskov.eu/dlgprice.html
Oct 14, 2016, 05:41 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Check out CSTSALES.com
Oct 14, 2016, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
Check out CSTSALES.com
Omg your a life saver. Getting real hard to find stuff these days almost had to buy locktite peft primer n locktite 401. Which was same cost as 10' now they have .040 I want to use .020 wire. What is process to stretch it down. I plan to use some 24 awg buss wire to keep it from over tightening. My plan was to tape top with wire n tube then tie a .5 lb weight to other end of tube and then possibly low heat for couple min then let stay stretched over night ??
Oct 14, 2016, 09:30 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepworld2002
Omg your a life saver. Getting real hard to find stuff these days almost had to buy locktite peft primer n locktite 401. Which was same cost as 10' now they have .040 I want to use .020 wire. What is process to stretch it down. I plan to use some 24 awg buss wire to keep it from over tightening. My plan was to tape top with wire n tube then tie a .5 lb weight to other end of tube and then possibly low heat for couple min then let stay stretched over night ??
I stretch the stuff easily by putting the size wire I need in a section of the tubing and clamping it in a vice. at one end. I take a heat gun and slowly stretch it over the wire. The wire sets the inside size when the tubing cools. I find that the stuff I have works well for 0.032" wire pushrods, btu since I have gone to the pull spring mechanism, I now use the stretched stuff as a bushing through the CF tailboom or rudder patches. Ping me off line if you need some stuff.

Chris

PS: Prior to the bondable tubing, some of us put a wire inside regular tubing, put it in a drill, then spirally wound Kevlar thread along the full length. We then placed it on the tailboom and wicked CA down the length. The thread holds the tubing in place. It is not optimal, but if you have to do it, that works too.
Oct 15, 2016, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2
I stretch the stuff easily by putting the size wire I need in a section of the tubing and clamping it in a vice. at one end. I take a heat gun and slowly stretch it over the wire. The wire sets the inside size when the tubing cools. I find that the stuff I have works well for 0.032" wire pushrods, btu since I have gone to the pull spring mechanism, I now use the stretched stuff as a bushing through the CF tailboom or rudder patches. Ping me off line if you need some stuff.

Chris

PS: Prior to the bondable tubing, some of us put a wire inside regular tubing, put it in a drill, then spirally wound Kevlar thread along the full length. We then placed it on the tailboom and wicked CA down the length. The thread holds the tubing in place. It is not optimal, but if you have to do it, that works too.
Stretching seems to work well and probally gonna stick with wire .0201" but it's either nicrome or titanium ?? Can't seem to fine ss in a rod form only coiled around a reel which wire were you running ?? I think sourcing the nicrome guitar string probally easiest for me or amazon wish a dealer would make for .020 like rc builder use too think they even gave u a drill bit too

Unfortunately for me I have a super mini to rebuild and a second kit to scratch build and half thinking of molding a fuse for any other disasters I got a kit fuse n boom from hobby club and I think he is only distributor for the kit here in states now love soaring as much as Heli flying. best way to spend time while charging up for Heli flights
Oct 15, 2016, 09:26 PM
Try your local Walmart or Sporting goods store. Look for wire leaders, they come in coils in sizes such as .014 .016, .018 and .020, probably others as well. The slight bend from the coil isn't a problem. Malin is the brand that I have in my shop.

Be certain not to get braided wire leaders.

For teflon bondable tubing, get it at "www.tailboom.com".
Oct 15, 2016, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO
Try your local Walmart or Sporting goods store. Look for wire leaders, they come in coils in sizes such as .014 .016, .018 and .020, probably others as well. The slight bend from the coil isn't a problem. Malin is the brand that I have in my shop.

Be certain not to get braided wire leaders.

For teflon bondable tubing, get it at "www.tailboom.com".
Great idea didn't even think about SS fishing leaders
Dec 09, 2016, 10:15 PM
low tech high tech
Polecat Handlaunch University (http://www.polecataero.com/handlaunchu) = dead link

www.tailboom.com = no current products