Aug 15, 2007, 02:43 AM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Thread OP
Build Log

Scratch built Star Wars A-Wing fighter

Whats up guys. I've been building a A-Wing fighter from the Star Wars saga and I just thought I would share it with you all. It all started out on a "bet" between me and another flyer locally and it has just steamrolled into this project. I have already been posting info about the build in another section of this forum, but it really meets the criteria of this thread section so that's why I'm here now. I hope you all enjoy this, it's been a really fun build and i hope to maiden her this weekend possibly.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2007, 04:26 AM
Awesome! I really enjoy the pictures...you MUST bring a camcorder when maidening it....please.

Kim
Aug 15, 2007, 07:08 AM
WOW!!!! Looks Awesome. I built a Snowspeeder and have to say your A wing blows mine away in detail and workmanship. Cant wait to see the video results. If your like me you might just hang it up for looks. Man, that is going to be to nice to fly ha ha ha. Keep up the great work and hope to see more pics soon!!!

John C.
Aug 15, 2007, 09:41 AM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Lol yeah John, I remember reading your thread about your Snowspeeder it was very inspirational for me on this project. What happened to that thing? Flying? Retired? Hopefully flying dude. Barring weather or other hang-ups I should be flyng this weekend. We'll see...
Aug 15, 2007, 05:00 PM
Hey Big J, I built a Glider version of the Snowspeeder and had pitch issues and was concerned with the pusher. So I have been working on doing two puller motors on the front of the guns. Still sitting on the shelf and am reminded by friends that I need to get it flying. I think yours is going to fly great concidering there is little drag. Good luck on the maiden and please post the vids. I will do the same when I get mine going.

John
Aug 15, 2007, 09:44 PM
Starting to Rebuild
That thing looks awsome. How are you gonna control it. I see what looks like ailerons on the outboard parts of the wings. If they dont work you may be able to vector the thrust with paddles placed in the exhaust rings to act like elvons. Good luck with, if nothing else you have a really cool model.

Brian
Aug 15, 2007, 10:09 PM
VBARRRR
is it gonna fly?

i don't see the wings and it's pretty thick =P
Aug 16, 2007, 02:05 AM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Thread OP
Well I certainly hope it flys my test glider did fine until it lost power. There is no real viable wing because it is a "Lifting Body" design. This pic should explain the control surfaces.
Last edited by Big J; Aug 16, 2007 at 02:48 AM.
Aug 16, 2007, 08:58 AM
You might end up with a roll-issue at slow speed..... so keep it up!
Aug 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
DDC Rules!
That A-wing sure looks good!!! can't wait for a maiden video ;-)

keep it going!

Dan
Aug 16, 2007, 05:51 PM
Starting to Rebuild
I got faith in you Big-J, anything that looks that good has to do something.
Aug 17, 2007, 07:13 PM
Balsa Bomber Builder
Thread OP
Got a little more paint work done, just waiting on some good weather.
Aug 17, 2007, 07:19 PM

Outstanding

Very nice work, looks like something mass produced. I can't wait to hear the flight report.
Aug 18, 2007, 01:02 AM
Are those GWS brushed 300 engines I see?
Aug 21, 2007, 09:52 AM
Man that thing is looking sweet!

Hope that maiden goes well... Use the force Big J

Quick Reply