Aug 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
You guys stink I saw that picture of the xtreme tailboom and now I have to get one but it's $21 common thats insane LOL . My only question is "is it worth it"? (for looks and for pereformance
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2007, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxhammer
You guys stink I saw that picture of the xtreme tailboom and now I have to get one but it's $21 common thats insane LOL . My only question is "is it worth it"? (for looks and for pereformance
Well, it looks awesome, as you have seen with it fitted to my heli. As for performance, it has been gusty or raining since I fitted it, so I can not comment on the outside performance. Inside, it seems to be a bit more responsive, by that could be biased by my enthusiasm!
Sep 01, 2007, 04:40 AM
Quote:
originally posted by Lama Lama Duck
Hi kr, i don't suppose you would be kr of kr's hobbies?
Yes, that is him.

D@!m, you beat me to the Lama 4 with CX2 xtreme tail. I will be setting one up for a friend on Monday. Compared it to mine last weekend, and saw that it would fit, so he is picking one up tomorrow.
Sep 01, 2007, 07:27 PM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
Thread OP
Is it me or does the Xtreme tail really look kind of cheesy (no offense to those that have installed this)? I prefer the minimalist design I found, and I bet it's TONs lighter.
Sep 02, 2007, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
Is it me or does the Xtreme tail really look kind of cheesy (no offense to those that have installed this)? I prefer the minimalist design I found, and I bet it's TONs lighter.
*cough* I agree with the "kind of cheesy" - but I wanted to try a fairly mainstream stock part.

Also, as for the weight, I have had to move the battery forward about an inch to compensate. I removed the front battery bit with the velcro and rubber-banded the battery to the 4in1 with a small foam spacer.

Originally, I had trimmed the swashplate to compensate for the weight. The problem was that I had to trim it forward so much it made the heli circle even with max trimming on the TX. I assume this was because of the swashplate's angle causing a lot of friction on the lower rotor...

To confirm this, my front motor just died!

I have now trimmed a lot of unnecessary weight from the heli, when the new motor arrives, I will take some decent photo's to show you all the finished job. It is slightly less "cheesy" than it was originally

Also, and this will effect people using any of the rubber o-ring tails as well, when the rear canopy support is pulled backwards, the base of the main frame tends to bow a bit, pulling the motor pinion's teeth harder onto the main gears, causing more friction. I found the main frame very flexible, so I may make some small adjustments to that also, I will let you all know if I do.

Also, I will make a PDF of the mod, with hi-res photo's, so it can be added to the forum's first page.
Sep 02, 2007, 09:35 PM
You can also make the Xtreme CX/2 skids and canopy fit the V4. The battery tray on the CX2 and the V4 are not the same, but the Xtreme kit uses parts from the factory tray and you can make the kit work on the V4.

Here is my V4 with a CX/2 Xtreme body, skids and boom kit. I removed the fake tail spinner and I added a set of Xtreme carbon fiber fins. By adding the carbon fins and taking off the fake spinner it saves 3 grams which puts the V4 back pretty close to the stock weight.
Sep 02, 2007, 11:50 PM
WOW!!!

That is an amazingly clean mod mate!

It looks astonishing, where did the canopy come from?
Sep 02, 2007, 11:59 PM
I got it at boomtownhobbies. Employee discount.

It is an Xtreme canopy for the CX/2. I had to change the front mounting holes to give it the look I wanted. The paint job is silver paint for lexan with a coat of white behind it to make it pop. The canopies come clear and I recommend you paint them from the inside just like you would with a lexan car body. There is a clear film over the outside to protect from over spray.
Sep 03, 2007, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stersman
You can also make the Xtreme CX/2 skids and canopy fit the V4. The battery tray on the CX2 and the V4 are not the same, but the Xtreme kit uses parts from the factory tray and you can make the kit work on the V4.

Here is my V4 with a CX/2 Xtreme body, skids and boom kit. I removed the fake tail spinner and I added a set of Xtreme carbon fiber fins. By adding the carbon fins and taking off the fake spinner it saves 3 grams which puts the V4 back pretty close to the stock weight.
That looks really great. I love that canopy. I really like tail too, I kind of hate the fake propeller look on the standard Xtreme. Nice!
Sep 05, 2007, 07:35 AM
Thread OP
Is it possible to have this thread stickied?
Sep 05, 2007, 02:32 PM
Jamie, (stersman)

That thing looks great! The black gear looks nice. The CF underlay is a nice touch.

I hesitated thinking about the black kit, but ended up going with the white, thinking I might go with an airwolf-like charcoal over white theme, and paint the upper half of the white pieces charcoal, where appropriate.

The canopy looks fantastic. I haven't yet painted mine, and am still using the CX2 fuselage, and rear fuselage cut down just to cover the sides, and keep the little wings.

I think I need to check out the modeling and painting forum, though. I haven't painted a lexan body before, although I know to paint the inside, rather than the outside.

I may also try to find another set of mounting grommets, and cut the mounting holes in the canopy a bit bigger, like the CX2 canopy, with rubber grommet grips.

The all black skid rods look better than the white tips, btw.

PS, can't wait to get the Xtreme driveline parts I just ordered from you. Looking forward to it. I almost bought the Xtreme motors, too, but that might have to wait for a future order, when I can get a higher cap battery, and a lipo guage LED, to properly power better motors. -mk
Sep 06, 2007, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
sticky??
Sep 06, 2007, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
sticky??
I agree, sounds like this would be a thread worth sticky-ing. No idea how though
Sep 07, 2007, 12:51 AM
Click on the "Report This Post to a Moderator" link. There's an option there. I already did it, so we'll see what happens.

-JT
Sep 07, 2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Guys,
Here is my Lama V4

Extreme BX2 canopy with boomtown's skid & tail boom.

Quick Reply