Aug 14, 2007, 09:29 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Thread OP
Build Log

Protech Douglas DC 3 (Build)

Having opened the box and started looking at the build on this model I started wondering a few things.

Has anyone else built one recently ? How does it fly ?

There is a y harness for the power to the brushed engines ? Everything I have read for the PBY Catalina I am working up to says seperate ESC for each engine. Is this a brushless thing ?

Its running a pair of rs-540sh TD043909's, the only info I can find on these is
http://www.tik.at/mabuchi-540.htm Any ideas on suitable brushless replacements ? The model is 1800 wide 1220 long and weighs 2680 grams.

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by flyingrally; Aug 16, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2007, 08:42 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Thread OP
The build is a bit further down the road, looks like a brushed engine is good for a y harness so I will be running just the 1 X 50amp ESC.

Started to get under way tonight and cleaned off red vinyl to leave an all silver plane, as well as finishing main wing.

Biggest change was an upgrade in wheel size to 3 and 1/4 main wheels, to do this I split the undercarriage to make room for the bigger wheels. With my "farm" runway I need all the help I can get .
Aug 16, 2007, 10:01 AM
I've built, flown, crashed and in the process of re-building one of these DC-3's. For the $$ they're actually pretty good, and the blow-molded fuse is STRONG (did I mention crashed?) Though good luck getting any type of glue/epoxy/cement to stick to the inside - the oils in the blow-mold plastic tend to repel anything sticky.

Here are the mods I made on mine:
- Ripped out all the foam in the nose, and cut off the nose at the approx. scale location of the radar dome. This provides an easy access for battery changes without removing the wing.
- Moved both motor nacells inboard about an inch or so to the 'scale' location - just didn't look right, and it will dampen the yaw tendency if one motor fails (however unlikely).
- Replaced stock wheels with larger foam variety - both more scale and useful for ROGs. I had to split the stock LG just as you did to fit them - worked just fine.
- Raised the wheel height to a more scale height - simply added a hardwood spacer block between the plastic landing gear legs and motor mount (looks better and allows for larger prop clearance.
- Moved the tailwheel forward to a more scale position - will make this steerable in the rebuild.
- TRASHED THE STOCK MOTORS. It's barely flyable with the stock power system - do yourself a favor now and replace with more powerful system. I used geared RC buggy motors and 3-blade props (10x8 I believe). Brushless motor/escs are SO cheap these days I'd seriously consider changing to it.
- Added a scale rear 'jump' door and ability to remotely release paratroopers via the door. This was never tested in flight as I flew it into a tree before I was able to test it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask...seeing your bird has inspired me to return mine to the restoration shop!

shv2sail
(Steve)
Aug 17, 2007, 07:13 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Thread OP
Fantastic someone else still has one

Well I took on board what you said about power and looked at solutions today while in the local hobby shop picking up parts. Apparently the stock engines are pretty big for a brushed unit with only a similar engine "advanced" as an option at $38 Aus each. While cheapish I figured I would try a couple of other things first to maximise power before going to brushless. Firstly I have gone for a better? prop (APC Composite) while the new one weighs the same it is supposed to be a much better design and should give a little better power. I found a Skyborne 50 Li Po ESC which will handle the 2 engines nicely running on a FlightPower 2500maH 3s1p 11.1v battery. The Skyborne is programable allowing me to set it to 2 cells to keep the voltage down for the motors.

I was going to just throw it all together but got inspired and now plan to finish the majority of the artwork minus decals for a nice Aussie DC-3 before flying. I have stripped the body and hot washed it several times to remove the mold release . I will know tomorrow if it has worked as I painted the top of the main body. With the guts ripped out I have easy access to make modifications to the battery box which holds the battery so nicely I have decided to keep it and just remove wing for charging.

Back to the paint can....
Aug 31, 2007, 10:49 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Thread OP
Getting close now. Hope to finish tomorrow, only the aileron horns to put in and the props, and engine covers and away we go. Oh yeah and first I need to learn my new radio a spektrum dx-7 which should make the model nicer to fly but I have to learn how to use the radio first.
Aug 31, 2007, 06:07 PM
I'm Charged!
I have one of these models as well.Still flying on brushed cobalts!She's a bit of a handful on taxi as the castering tailwheel and smallish rudder are not very effective.I have always thought that I might convert to a steerable tailwheel.Also, watch the spring loaded struts, I had one fall apart on takoff.Now that was a fun landing!
All in all a nice flying model.Looks great in the air.

Jeff
Aug 31, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm Charged!
BTW, your model is looking great! Looking forward to your impressions on this bird.
Jeff
Sep 09, 2007, 03:28 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Thread OP

all finished

Finished last night for maiden flight today. Woohooo

So here we are out on the new runway purpose build for the weekends flying and the winds are gusting to 20 knots... Hmm maybe I shouldn't fly

Your right taxing with the current tail wheel is really annoying.

After a couple of aborted attempts I finally got enough speed to pull into the air. I think I may have gone to early with a stiff head wind the model instantly tried to stall and wallowed back into the ground with minimal damage. Out with the race tape and back to the start of the runway. Popped the wings off at the joins.

This time I tried to hold it on the runway and get up a bit more speed. Sadly I think she maybe underpowered as she struggled into the air. Once airborne things improved although I had to trim way to much down elevator making me think I have the COG too far back (I am worried about adding anymore weight).

After 3 laps I noticed the power dropping so instantly started to work on getting her down. On finals I realised I was to high and to fast so aborted and powered and turned to go around. I didn't have enough power and I was forced to attempt a down wind landing out in the open paddock. Landed pretty fast and hard but with amazingly little damage. Broke the rudder base which aligns the elevator and a prop.. that's all

So thoughts on the model.

Grossly underpowered but as a basic unit to have fun with it's amazingly strong and looks fantastic in the air. As it is it's a very cheap plane, the problem is the brushed units are as big as they come without going to "advanced" 540's or straight to brushless and then I need a heck of a lot of extra gear $$$.

Next Step.
* Rebuild the rudder and elevator make them stronger and lighter.
* Add steering to tail wheel.
* Look at changing prop pitch and size. (with larger wheels I can probably go for a longer prop).
* Drill hole in front of plastic to allow air to flow over battery which got way too hot.
Sep 09, 2007, 05:02 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Very much relieved to see it get back mostly unscathed!
I am picking up a brushless that is efficient with a scale prop, but underpowers the motor.
The logic is that if I waste the plane I can use the motor on something else!
However, doing four, soon to be five builds at once, the financial wheels turn slowly, so from the ceiling she hangs!
Skonk
Aug 07, 2010, 06:07 PM

Just got a C47 (same as the DC3 but green)

Is anyone still flying one of these?
Aug 08, 2010, 04:02 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Thread OP
NO ended up mothballing mine and selling it to another guy. The amount of nose weight drove me nuts. Great fun flyer though.

Looking at a gold flight kit soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyshotgun
Is anyone still flying one of these?

Quick Reply